advertisement

The Knock-Down, Drag-Out, LP12 3rd Party Parts List

yuckyamson

pfm Member
Yo Boyz,

Okay so I just want to list out the potential LP12 upgrade parts, in categories, with some caviates:

1) Must be currently available for purchase, either through dealers or direct (i.e. retail)
2) Must not be made by Linn or Naim

Categories are:

1. Power Supply (or PS+motor)
2. Subchassis
3. Plinth
4. Top Plate
5. Bottom Plate
6. Matt

(not tonearm, or cart, and let's try to limit out little tiny things like "here's my exclusive lid-vibration-removal-static-device", or whatever.)

Here's just to get us started, I'd like you to help me fill in the blanks to get as many of these on the table (HAHAHA, PUN!) as possible.

1. Power Supply

-Mober
-Mose/Herc
-Phoenix Engineering Roadrunner/Eagle
-Heed (model?)
-Greenstreet PS

2. Subchassis

(please only include subchassis that also provide integral or new armboard)

- Analogue Innovation Sole Mk. 8 + armboard
- Vinyl Passion VP Unity 2
- Tangerine Plateau
- Greenstreet

3. Plinth

- Tangerine Stiletto (yes also top plate as well)
- Boo Plinth
- Woodsong

4. Top Plate

- Tangerine Karmen
- ???

5. Bottom Plate

- Uh....I know they exist somewhere

6. Matts

- Please only list ones that are either commonly recommended for LP12 or manufacturer recommended for LP12

Looking forward to compiling this list!!

1. Power Supply

-Mober
-Mose/Herc
-Phoenix Engineering Roadrunner/The Eagle
-Heed (model?)
-Greenstreet PS
-The Funk Firm

2. Subchassis

(please only include subchassis that also provide integral or new armboard)

- Analogue Innovation Sole Mk. 8 + armboard
- Vinyl Passion VP Unity 2
- Tangerine Plateau
- Greenstreet
- The Funk Firm

3. Plinth

- Tangerine Stiletto (yes also top plate as well)
- Boo Plinth
- Woodsong
- Vinyl Passion

4. Top Plate

- Tangerine Karmen
- Tiger Paw Khan
- Vinyl Passion
- The Funk Firm

5. Bottom Plate

- Vinyl Passion

6. Matts

- Analogue Innovation
- Vinyl Passion
- The Funk Firm

So, if I bought a turntable.. I could call it an LP12, but without the Linn Bearing/innerplatter/outerplatter upgrades?

The interesting thing here is that it's now a legit possibility to build many variations on a non LINN lp12. There's a lot of possibilities.

I suppose it's testament to the Linn price list that some or all of these people can make money at it.
Is it a question of value for money, or 'better' sound, or 'cheaper'?

Psu = Origin Live DC motor and controller

Plinth = Russ Collinson

Given that pèople always scoffed at the idea of the armboard being bolted to the sub-chassis until the Keel, Sole etc. and all these alternatives started coming out, would it be a ludicrous idea to mix/try, say, an original Linn armboard with the Vivid acrylic sub chassis ? In case you don´t know it, the Vivid armboard is also acrylic and is allen bolted to the acrylic sub-chassis which sounds much worse in words than it does in fact sound through my speakers. Is this a first ? (and last).

Just a thought regarding my Ittok feeling more at home in interface with a piece of wood for which it was designed instead of a piece of plazzy or overpriced aluminium for that matter..

Given that pèople always scoffed at the idea of the armboard being bolted to the sub-chassis until the Keel, Sole etc. and all these alternatives started coming out, would it be a ludicrous idea to mix/try, say, an original Linn armboard with the Vivid acrylic sub chassis ? In case you don´t know it, the Vivid armboard is also acrylic and is allen bolted to the acrylic sub-chassis which sounds much worse in words than it does in fact sound through my speakers. Is this a first ? (and last).
Just a thought regarding my Ittok feeling more at home in interface with a piece of wood for which it was designed instead of a piece of plazzy or overpriced aluminium for that matter..

I would prefer to bolt the Linn armboard to an Vinyl Passion Unity or another aluminium alloy sub chassis.

Matt

Is that because you are anti-acrylic in hi-fi like most of us ? I certainly was until I heard the Vivid. It doesn´t sound at all like one might imagine, not to my ears anyway. Of course, maybe I don´t know what I´m missing.

advertisement

Back