advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

Not always, in John Westlake's case one promised MDAC2 thingamajig led to no other thing.

Thread title ought to say, "The Failure of John Westlake/Lakewest to deliver promised MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox"

As this thread is for investors only . You have the choice to not read it . So skip on I say and keep your opinions to yourself.

That ship sailed long long ago.

This thread is now for calling out Westlake for what he is, what he has not delivered and for what he clearly had no intention of answering for.

Update yesterday:

Renata contacted me advising that there has been concern about my extended absence - sorry been ill + slow recovery & been busy working on the designs while I can. Please forgive the short update - but here's the latest developments:-

1. Detox has been updated to full USB 2.0 Data rates - will be released as a stand alone product in 1-2 months - currently moving to production.

2. Updated DacX LCD design has arrived (the DacX ID has been changed since Munich) - the Munich Prototype did not look as good as I hoped. New front panels (Metal work) are curranty being manufactured in China- and will be surface finished here in Europe. I expect these will arrive within the month.

3. Initial testing of Discrete DAC array is in progress, however I'm currently completing an Amplifier design (target completion date 15th Nov) - to help cover bills. Once the amps out of the way I'll get back to the DAC development.

4. "MDAC" sized replacement DAC will be ready for shipment around February - supported cost to MDAC2 / FDAC Project development no more then GBP200 + shipping & Vat - this offers everything + more proposed for the original project (Discrete DAC, Discrete Class A output stage, Colour LCD's, USB2.0, USB Detox & Isolation (Option), Bluetooth Audio streamer (BT is a secondary function good for YouTube videos etc).
Case is 215mm Wide x 44mm High (1U rack) x 190mm Deep, the optional HQ PSU can be added beside to form a 1U 430mm Rack mount unit, a Rackmount kit will be supplied as an optional extra (with supporting rails + Rack Mounting ears).

This DAC has a HQ Headphone amplifier for Balanced and SE headphones.

The price of this DAC will be heavily supported by myself to meet the original target of "around GBP200" (even with the new casework and standard PSU + remote etc.) to development sponsors - the intention of this design is to meet the original MDAC2 project goals - and to finally close this long running saga
🙂
- the all sing & all dancing DacX will follow, which will still be offered "at cost" to those development sponsors who are still interested...

A tease photo of DAC front panel section with current UI (still in development) is attached, the Phone camera has overexposed the LCD backlight - the LCD's appear black in real life) + colour that does not show up will in this pic.

This will be followed by a matching upgrade PSU.

Already in prototype and UI in development.

Seems like a side project has freed up John to spend money on moving forward. Hopefully we can all see something soon.

So, are there still any investors out there that jumped up with this news ?

Falling for the usual traps one more time ?

Like "I didn't say February 2024" 👿
Or "New insights, and had to redo the clock circuit all over again, working on it day and night"
"One more funding round, ordering parts now"

I sold my MDAC a few weeks ago, having it replaced a year ago.

We'll see, but I warn my fellow victims not to get too exited, we've been there too many times...

So, are there still any investors out there that jumped up with this news ?

I sold my MDAC a few weeks ago, having it replaced a year ago.
Well...I raised an eyebrow.

As far as I understand it, the mdac2 will (if) come in it's own new chassis and display...there is no requirement for the original chassis or display of the old mdac.

I'm quite excited by the Detox. Really looking forward to getting my hands on one.

I run my DAC from a laptop and I've always had a neurosis that nasties are coming across, although my DAC has internal galvanic isolation. Even if the Detox makes no difference it'll help my neurosis.

I reckon it will be a big selling product, especially if its well made.

Last edited:
Expectation of anything coming to fruition is zero. We’ve been shafted. I always said if it is completed before I retire I’ll be surprised. Well I retired in September and….
The square root of sod all!
He’s a conman. Up with the best of them. I’ve challenged him many times and no response.

I'm quite excited by the Detox. Really looking forward to getting my hands on one.

I run my DAC from a laptop and I've always had a neurosis that nasties are coming across, although my DAC has internal galvanic isolation. Even if the Detox makes no difference it'll help my neurosis.

I reckon it will be a big selling product, especially if its well made.
Other USB de-crapifiers are available, and have been for years.

advertisement

Back