advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

JW has an established record as a DAC designer.
As a power amplifier designer, no.
With the benefit of hindsight, the VFET design was a distraction for both the sponsors and his own limited resources
Hmmm... Did you see this recently resurrected thread:
https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/effed-up-quad-909-uk-made.161401/

Particularly pages 3 and 4. JW manages to very easily fix and improve this Quad 909 power amp. He suggests he could improve it even more and is worried about IP theft particularly by the Chinese.

This line in Wikipedia would worry me if I was an investor (and I did hover over V-Fets- they seemed amazing- luckily I’m a Naim sheep!)

He is currently semi-retired.

sjb

This line in Wikipedia would worry me if I was an investor (and I did hover over V-Fets- they seemed amazing- luckily I’m a Naim sheep!)

He is currently semi-retired.

sjb
Has been that for years. In fact I think that was his status at the start of all of this.

You seem to be a JW fanboi, committed to defending his reputation?

Maybe 'fanboi' has other connotations that I don't like and don't apply to me, but certainly at the start of this horrible and distressing all too long painful saga I was a very excited and happy investor who hung on every post JW made. I even made the effort to meet JW where I met PhilCTTE too, in an effort to meet the man I had sent money to. I even presented a bottle of Jack Daniels as I read that, that was his preferred tiple and hoped it would help him enjoy his work on the project....and boy did he work hard (if his reports were to be believed).

As I mentioned a few pages up thread, I believe JW has completely miss-managed this project and caused serious and horrible pain to many here and it beggars belief that someone even with half the intelligence could let this happen. JW is a flawed man, whether this fiasco/fraud was planned from the outset I'm not sure of and like to believe that it started out in good faith but then his character flaws ruined everything. Make no mistake JW is fully responsible and must even at this stage do the right thing and deliver on his promises.

About a month ago I contacted JW for an update and was told the discrete DAC board had been sent off, I asked when a board would be ready and said I didn’t care if it had a box or display, just so long as I could put digital in and analogue out and he said two months and offered to send me a picture of the DAC board when it arrived. After being reminded he did send me a picture of an assembled DAC board, it’s a plug-in to the main board, I asked if I could put it on here and said people had not forgotten him but he hasn’t replied yet.

About a month ago I contacted JW for an update and was told the discrete DAC board had been sent off, I asked when a board would be ready and said I didn’t care if it had a box or display, just so long as I could put digital in and analogue out and he said two months and offered to send me a picture of the DAC board when it arrived. After being reminded he did send me a picture of an assembled DAC board, it’s a plug-in to the main board, I asked if I could put it on here and said people had not forgotten him but he hasn’t replied yet.

So why no update on Facebook?

After 10 years there has nothing been more than a few pages of moaning and people who are so blinded by awe they still claim he will deliver. Name one single person who has done a anything more than a modicum of effort to get their money back.

I have absolutely no sympathy for collective apathy.

And you outwardly mock those those unfortunate to have invested. That's really kind of you .

As this thread is for investors only . You have the choice to not read it . So skip on I say and keep your opinions to yourself.

Sold my MDAC a while ago to a friend, as I got myself an GUSTARD R26 R2R and never looked back :)
Should have written my investment off years ago.

Anyway, got an invite to listen to his new speakers (and my old MDAC).
He's using a dedicated transport with some fancy coax digital cable into the MDAC.
I brought along a laptop with an Olimex USB isolator, and put on some CD albums in the Foobar library.
We had a couple of the same albums, CD and on laptop.

I was pretty sure the laptop setup with USB isolator would be better, even better since I just ran of battery power this session.
To my surprise, the dedicated transport and fancy cable sounded better, much more transparency o_O
Then I suggested to remove the USB isolator. Lo and behold, it sounded better and gained transparency, closing the gap a bit compared to the dedicated CD transport.

All those years, I never bothered testing without this Olimex USB isolator 🤬
I "hate" this hobby

advertisement

Back