advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

The FDAC will never find its way into my system regardless of performance as I have heavily invested in another brand

I really don’t want the VFETs to suffer the same fate, I foolishly sold my previous monoblocs to fund their deposit over 5 years ago if memory serves, screaming the house down won’t make it happen any sooner, but jeez some of you guys must have very deep pockets or a really skewed level of patience.

So, ( and not for the first time of asking ) can anyone refute my strong belief that John has simply taken all the money from VFET funds to populate his man cave ?.

If this cannot be refuted, then surely we have been blatantly conned out of thousands as individuals

6 years with absolutely nothing to show on VFET development that I can see, the devices purchased prior to funding request have probably been investigated by mice or worse, I doubt John has even checked on their condition for years it’s so far off his radar.

I’m sick to death of devdac development being used as a tool/smokescreen to avoid answering the above, and to be honest John, when you keep referring to vfet being easy ( you have cited software this time around) it makes my blood boil

Yes VFET is a bigger monetary concern for a few of us, but for the majority the DevDAC is the biggest concern.

So getting DevDAC done will fulfill most of the deliverable and turn the prospect of getting VFET amps in near future into green again.

Isn’t it the case that the backers of this project paid a lot of money to finance the purchase of electronic production machinery when it turned out that quantities were too small for an OEM? And now those machines are unnecessary because of the new commercial partner. In which case, couldn’t the machines be sold and the proceeds used to offer refunds to those who wish them?

Isn’t it the case that the backers of this project paid a lot of money to finance the purchase of electronic production machinery when it turned out that quantities were too small for an OEM? And now those machines are unnecessary because of the new commercial partner. In which case, couldn’t the machines be sold and the proceeds used to offer refunds to those who wish them?
If I remember rightly the sponsors did not pony up got the production line. I think John invited everyone to fund the production line by paying for another product, the streamer no one wanted. I suggested, for obvious reasons, that we fund it in return for a clearly defined and binding commitment and time table; John refused for reasons which are equally obvious.

The whole thing was plainly an obfuscation. One of those comes along every time John has promised his way into a corner. See:
-I’ve changed my mind and it has to be a board replacement for the m-dac; and
-I’ve changed my mind and it has to be a completely new dac.
-I’ve changed my mind it has to be a discrete dac.

Yeah John is an evil genius and its been his plan from the start to extract money from people without any intention of ever delivering a product. Also, the moon landing was a sham and Princess Di was killed on the Queen’s orders.

Why did my post #784 get deleted?

I believe I made some valid points that adds a little balance to the single sided view presented here?

I believe I made some valid points that adds a little balance to the single sided view presented here?

I don’t see it as one sided, the best you can say is it’s a road crash plus some of the excuses are looking a little flimsy, like he has been teaching Jared to design pcbs for five years but they use different design software, he may have to start again or learn Jareks pcb software, pretty well all cad packages allow you to import designs. It’s more like he has a psychological problem finishing this project.

It's a little bit rich claiming that the views presented are one sided. Posts related to the DAC etc development go back for the best part of decade and have generally been enthusiastic and favourable.

It has literally taken the best part of a decade and who knows, somewhere in the region of £100,000 with nothing more tangible than, in John's own words; a "rats nested" PCB. And to make matters worse a PCB with a botched software implementation and no one to program it.

Here's a list of some of the things promised of which some of the designs, I'm lead to believe have appeared in commercial products (correct me if I'm wrong on that last point?):

MDAC L1
MDAC L2
MDAC L3
VFET
FDAC
DETOX USB
Streamer
CNC chassis (various)
DevDAC
And even some sort of custom PSU if I remember correctly (HQ PSU).

Added:
MDAC2 'slave' units,
MDAC2 Discrete,
MDAC2 DDA (Quad ESS9038Pro's),
MDAC 1.5,
MDAC Fusion,
HDMI interface "HDMI interface - it will most likely be an extra "Plug-in card",
MDAC2 DD2A,
Fusion DAC,
FDAC Lite,
FDAC L2,
FDAC L3,
FDAC L3 MM/MC,
Advanced Clock option 2,
Internal Rubidium Atomic Clock - replaces the Advanced Clock option 2,
User upgradable modulator PCB's (two modulator / digital filter versions),
LakeWest "Fusion Dac",
Vishay bulk foil upgrade for MDAC2 (not Toy/Fusion),
Advanced Clock option 1,
DevDAC II,
DevDAC II morph to MDAC 1.5,
MDAC2.0,
FWC,
DevDAC twin ES9038Q2M’s,
DEVDAC + Linear PSU,
MDAC2 Audiophile High Resolution Audio Streamer PCB with HDMI Video implementing a customised RPi CM3 (A03),
Ministreamer,
DevDAC + Streamer,
Lakewest MDAC2 Streamer,
MDAC2 Basic,
MDAC2 Advanced Clock Option 1,
MDAC2 Advanced Clock Option 2 (option 3),
MDAC2 Tube (option 4),
FDAC (based on MDAC2 option 3 PCBs ONLY),
FDAC (based on MDAC2 option 4 PCBs ONLY),
FDAC (based on MDAC2 option 3 PCBs ONLY) FWC,
FDAC (based on MDAC2 option 4 PCBs ONLY) FWC,
FDAC (based on MDAC2 option 3 PCBs ONLY) + ADC + Phono,
FDAC (based on MDAC2 option 4 PCBs ONLY) + ADC + Phono,
FDAC (based on MDAC2 option 3 PCBs ONLY) FWC + ADC + Phono,
FDAC (based on MDAC2 option 4 PCBs ONLY) FWC+ ADC + Phono,
MDAC/FDAC options - Various modulator options (user swapable) - advanced FPGA versions released over time,
MDAC/FDAC option HDCD PMD200 (module),

Last edited:
Here's a list of some of the things promised of which some of the designs have appeared in commercial products:

MDAC L1, L2 & L3.
VFET
FDAC
DETOX USB
Streamer
CNC chassis (various)
DevDAC
And even some sort of custom PSU if I remember correctly.

There were also MDAC 2 ‘slaves’ - I think for multichannel use.

Well the history lesson is not needed. I have been as sponsor since 2013.
That does not explain why someone reports my post as offensive and it gets removed.

I can see that both of you are forgetting the Mini Amps;)
But now there is only DevDAC(MDAC2), VFET and FDAC the rest is history.

Well the history lesson is not needed. I have been as sponsor since 2013.
That does not explain why someone reports my post as offensive and it gets removed.

the moderator would have reviewed it before deciding to remove, I didn’t see it personally so feel free to pm it to me, I’d be interested to see what you think balances out the so called one sidedness

I can see that both of you are forgetting the Mini Amps;)
But now there is only DevDAC(MDAC2), VFET and FDAC the rest is history.

Which DevDAC(MDAC2) are you referring to?
Take a look at the list I've posted, there's loads of variations and none are called DevDAC(MDAC2).

Which DevDAC(MDAC2) are you referring to?
Take a look at the list I've posted, there's loads of variations and none are called DevDAC(MDAC2).

The DevDac has become what was formally known as the MDAC2. There are two products, the DevDac (which is ‘imminent’), and the FDAC - which in my opinion only a madman would wait for.

just really weird that some reported it
But what about DevDAC II?
And the DevDAC II morphing into MDAC 1.5?
It was all working titles and most of them was using the ESS Sabre DAC so now obsolete.

Now the two working titles we have are DevDAC and FDAC and they are both discrete.
Maybe DevDAC will be renamed to LakeWest DAC 1 and FDAC to LakeWest DAC 2 or something completely different when they are actually shipping.
DevDAC sends a wrong message that it is a simple and inferior DAC which is is not.

The DevDac has become what was formally known as the MDAC2. There are two products, the DevDac (which is ‘imminent’), and the FDAC - which in my opinion only a madman would wait for.
Agree DevDAC should satisfy most. Except those that have more special use cases like slave, DSP, phonostage etc. or just want the absolute best. They will have to wait longer. Personally I will get both.

It was all working titles...

Now the two working titles we have are DevDAC and FDAC and they are both discrete.

I don't believe nor class them as simply 'working titles'.

They're a myriad, nay, a veritable 'rat's nest' of incoherent designs, of which almost none are representative of what the financiers initially contracted and which almost all have been promised for manufacture and shipping.

For instance "...so first MDAC1.5’s could be seen around the New Year".

That's the beginning of this year, 2020. Approximately, and only 6 months ago.

They weren't 'seen' and the design criteria morphed from the previous incarnation. And that's the key, they're not name changes, they're a constant change of design and specifications.

And this is not an opinion, they're demonstrated facts and in John Westlake's own words; "morphed".

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/mdac-first-listen-part-00111011.227821/page-28

advertisement

Back