advertisement

The Hi-Fi Show - Sunday 4th March 2012

There was quite a lot of Dire straits being played last year and not from my room! each to their own tastes!

I do actually like some Dire Straits. It's just every hifi show consists of rooms which seem to share a copy of The Wall, it becomes a distraction. It reminds me of when I used to see a lot of pub bands doing covers or the Planet Rock radio station. You can guarantee within the hour that you will get one or more of the following:
1. Smoke on the Water.
2. All right now.
3. Wishing Well
4. The boys are back in town.
5. Can't get enough of your love.
6. Another brick in the wall.

I suppose a hifi show requires a few standards in order to compare kit though.

Who was it on here who did a DAC bake off and listened to the same track [Hebden Bridge] all day for about 7 hours?

I have to admit that The Wall happens to be my most played vinyl album.. And i have the new one on pre-order and am keen to hear the remaster!

... As its confessional time, i can also admit that my first 'test' LP when buying my frst 'hifi' in the very early 80s was Dire Straits Making Movies.... When I bought my REga3 a few years afterwards out of my first year student grant, I took this along. I never forget the bugger in the shop selling me the deck and then playing it to me on a £10k Linn/Naim system into Kans - at the time I was amazed at the seemingly holographic sound!
Hooked! shades of a drug dealer!.....

..I am hoping that guests will bring their own music anyway rather than just listening to mine! It's always good to broaden horizons!

Can the guy with the Madonna track on CD last year with the MENTAL bass depth please bring it along again?

This will be my 4th Wig Show, but 1st as an exhibitionist (+2 co-exhibitors).

Synicate 5. Upstairs from the gravel courtyard, above the Butler's Pantry. This was the AOS room last year and we will not be playing as loud as they did, nor will we play the diabolical noise they played right at the end of the show (not their music and they did look nonplussed!).

Our system will not be much to look at, with no audiophilery, average looking speakers and a few black boxes. However we do hope to make some decent noises using a semi-active system with a prototype bass extension system.

Kit list:

Cambridge – new & old 840C & CD2
SP10/Audio Technica AT1501/Ortofon SPU GM-E
Custom active XO/pre
KT88 PP
CAOW1 (or LS3/5A) + Stereo Active Linear Bass
Open reel (Studer B67 or Telefunken M20) + Master Tapes

The 3/5As are included as a known standard. They are actually quite good when they don't have to do bass.

Synicate 5. Upstairs from the gravel courtyard, above the Butler's Pantry. This was the AOS room last year and we will not be playing as loud as they did, nor will we play the diabolical noise they played right at the end of the show (not their music and they did look nonplussed!).

It was bloody horrible.

Syndicate 5 is a great room though. I look forward to hearing your system in it.

I really like the first three - up to Making Movies. Can take or leave the rest.

I'll second that as one line appraisal of Dire Straits.

I'll play anything anyone brings along.

My own music collection spans some 300 years from Vivaldi to VNV Nation so I should have something to suit most ears some of the time.

If you fancy hearing an LP12 on the end of some Neat MF7's with some Naim in the middle pop into the (Colman ?) room next to the bar.

Oh no FFS, just like the Manchester Show! Why not throw in Brothers in Arms.

Pete,

The Wall (remastered and on 180 gm vinyl) has (apparently) arrived at home!... avoid syndicate room 18 if you don't want to hear it!

I will be interested to hear what they have done in the remastering! Hopefully not ruined a great recording IMHO!

...or come along and bring some music you want to hear and I'll give it a spin!

See you there!

Andy

Yeh the first few Dire Straits albums are great IMHO, up to but not including Brothers in Arms which is where it went horribly wrong! The first 3 are the best though. I was amazed to read somewhere recently that Mark Knopfler is not proud of this early stuff and never plays any of it any more!
I bought several of his solo works on the strength of Dire Straits and was (still am) extremely disappointed. It could put a speed freak to sleep! :D

Ever heard "The Red Hot Chilli Pipers" ? :p

I have now, thanks to youtube...

Oww, my poor ears... I think I mave have broken them... :)

Think very carefully before clicking... you have been warned!

Could be useful for taking your mind off of something more painful, like a toothache?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the system is set now, had a few niggles with the Heybrook TT2, but fingers crossed it now sounds bloody good for a 30 year old;-) Actually it JUST sounds bloody good:)

advertisement

Back