advertisement

The Greatest Roots Reggae Albums......ever

Any number of Scientist, Prince Jammy, King Tubby etc dub albums from the late-70s to early 80s for me. Dirty, grungy, tons of spring reverb and funky as hell. Many feature the then comparatively unknown Sly & Robbie too!

Honourable mention to Misty In Roots Live At The Counter Eurovision, Culture 77, Congos etc.

790632_1280x1288.jpg

After I posted yesterday about Two Sevens Clash I started wondering about my third favourite. So much great music...
Blackheart Man
Just about anything by Burning Spear but I'll go for Marcus Garvey and Garvey's Ghost
Police and Thieves
And so on... But my choice is War Ina Babylon. "I'm gonna put on a iron shirt..."

For a single track I think this has to be up there. Apart from the spiritual passion of the vocal I love the drums - Sly of course.

Any number of Scientist, Prince Jammy, King Tubby etc dub albums from the late-70s to early 80s for me. Dirty, grungy, tons of spring reverb and funky as hell. Many feature the then comparatively unknown Sly & Robbie too!

Honourable mention to Misty In Roots Live At The Counter Eurovision, Culture 77, Congos etc.

For weeks I have been obsessed with this song by Misty In Roots, can't really say why...

For weeks I have been obsessed with this song by Misty In Roots, can't really say why...

To my shame I only know the Live Counter Eurovision 79 album (where I’m lucky enough to have a mint original pressing which sounds amazing!). Their catalogue is really hard to find at all, let alone in good condition, so I’ve never stumbled across anything else. The song you link sounds great.

To my shame I only know the Live Counter Eurovision 79 album (where I’m lucky enough to have a mint original pressing which sounds amazing!). Their catalogue is really hard to find at all, let alone in good condition, so I’ve never stumbled across anything else. The song you link sounds great.
I've only got a download Tony, it's on an album called Roots Controller, recorded about 2000 I think. It's on Bandcamp - on Real World.

IMG-3630.jpg

A really difficult one! I love most of the suggestions so far, particularly Congos, Big Youth, Misty in Roots Countervison 79.

But I have a thing about dub versions, so the ultimate for me is the perfect pair of vocal / dub albums that you can play back to back.

So, honourable mention to Marcus Garvey / Garvey's Ghost, but to me, this plus Augustus Pablo's Africa Dub is the pinnacle of the genre - what a voice! IMHO obviously

IMG-3630.jpg

A really difficult one! I love most of the suggestions so far, particularly Congos, Big Youth, Misty in Roots Countervison 79.

But I have a thing about dub versions, so the ultimate for me is the perfect pair of vocal / dub albums that you can play back to back.

So, honourable mention to Marcus Garvey / Garvey's Ghost, but to me, this plus Augustus Pablo's Africa Dub is the pinnacle of the genre - what a voice! IMHO obviously
I’d forgotten about this, wonderful record.

IMG-3630.jpg

Top Choice! Better on CD where you can program the Vocal followed by the Dub

advertisement

Back