advertisement

The Greatest Roots Reggae Albums......ever

To my shame I only know the Live Counter Eurovision 79 album (where I’m lucky enough to have a mint original pressing which sounds amazing!). Their catalogue is really hard to find at all, let alone in good condition, so I’ve never stumbled across anything else. The song you link sounds great.
Wise And Foolish, if you can find it, is a really beautiful album.

This thread reminded me I have this from 1976

LTU2ODAuanBlZw.jpeg

This was a good introduction to quite a few reggae singers for me all for the price of a single.

Track list here:

The Front Line (1976, Vinyl) - Discogs

The Front Line series is an excellent and cheap way to taste .

this is a cracker

More images

Various – Beyond The Front Line
Label: Front Line (2) – FRONT 1
Series: Virgin Front Line All-Time Reggae Classics
Format:
CD, Remastered, Sampler
Released: 1990
Genre: Reggae
Style: Roots Reggae

Coincidentally I was playing this just t’other day:-

Mick
One of the CD version of this comes with the original Jamaican recordings of the songs. I think they've even better than the Island version and, in keeping with this thread, far more rootsy sounding. The harmonies are sublime.

One of the CD version of this comes with the original Jamaican recordings of the songs. I think they've even better than the Island version and, in keeping with this thread, far more rootsy sounding. The harmonies are sublime.
I think it was the 2CD deluxe edition that had the original JA recordings on CD2. Agreed, much harder sounding than the original Island release.

I’ve never understood why Wayne Wade’s Black is Our Colour wasn’t more highly fated, particularly given Vivian Jackson’s involvement. Quietly, one of the most affecting roots albums of the late 70s.

In more recent times, Bim Sherman’s Miracle was a fresh and engaging take on the idiom.

Finally (and since the thread has taken a sideturn into dub), I’d recommend - and recommend strongly - that wonderful trilogy of albums, Harry Mudie Meets King Tubby’s in Dub Conference Vols 1,2 and 3. The African Dub trilogy was the big crossover success during the punk years, but it was this sequence of albums which, I suggest, really counted. Mudie deserves a bigger audience.

advertisement

Back