advertisement

The greatest music films of all time

Bowie's documentary when the Spiders finished up at Hammersmith Odeon was pretty good but the film and sound quality are not great.
I was at the Bowie concert and the sound was much better than on the film.

Has anyone mentioned Easy Rider and 2001 A Space Odyssey ?
They both had great soundtracks.

If we're talking nonsense, there's this little gem:

Or this

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the 40 greatest music documentaries, according to Rolling Stone. Top of the list is Don't Look Back.

A number these are on Netflix, including some I haven't seen. Must check them out.

Jack
Nearly all on that list are in my music DVD collection.
I don't agree with the list though.
That said, I have never agreed with most rolling stone lists over the years.

I have only one DVD from this list (in fact it may be a videotape)
I have seen a few though.

Bloss

Sigur Rós - 'Heima' ? beautiful photography and location!
I have a shed load of his albums on vinyl and CD.
I won't be buying anymore because I am fed up with not knowing what the hell he is singing about.
Even using the Lyric player on my screen when using my digital jukebox its blank.:(

On reflection, two of the best films with music at their heart that I've seen are both directed by Clint Eastwood, 'Bird' - his biopic of Charlie Parker starring Forrest Whitaker and 'Honkytonk Man' about the last days of a consumptive country singer, obviously at least partly based on Hank Williams.

Also, whilst I'm no massive fan of Joy Division, there's no doubting that 'Control' was a compelling and artfully made film.

This brilliant film soundtrack album by Alan Price is probably more meaningful to day than it ever was back in 1973.
61iyorsYKVL._SL1280_.jpg

When this
51zEUbkzltL.jpg

came out Sony gave me the 12"spools to use to demo there Reel to Reel machines.
I didn't get to see the brilliant film until a year after playing the tapes to death.

advertisement

Back