advertisement

"The Ghost in the MP3" - What MP3 Compression Removes from Music

I had my semi-colon removed, and now I have to punctuate into a bag.

As a consequence, I find grammar pedants to be fewer interesting than used to I did.

You assume he has considered that semi-colon previously. If he has not, he cannot reconsider it at all.

Surely that depends on what constitutes considering?

If we allow for the fleeting consideration of each word as we type, then it could be seen that any subsequent consideration of the use of those words as being reconsideration.

Oxford dictionaries describe starting a sentence with and as 'an unspeakable offence against the English language.' lol may be old, but I am also correct. I rest my case.

One should never begin a sentence with and.

Someone should have told the writers of the Authorised Version:

And the LORD said unto Moses, Depart, and go up hence, thou and the people which thou hast brought up out of the land of Egypt, unto the land which I sware unto Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, saying, Unto thy seed will I give it: And I will send an angel before thee; and I will drive out the Canaanite, the Amorite, and the Hittite, and the Perizzite, the Hivite, and the Jebusite: Unto a land flowing with milk and honey: for I will not go up in the midst of thee; for thou art a stiffnecked people: lest I consume thee in the way.

And when the people heard these evil tidings, they mourned: and no man did put on him his ornaments. For the LORD had said unto Moses, Say unto the children of Israel, Ye are a stiffnecked people: I will come up into the midst of thee in a moment, and consume thee: therefore now put off thy ornaments from thee, that I may know what to do unto thee. And the children of Israel stripped themselves of their ornaments by the mount Horeb.

Someone should have told the writers of the Authorised Version:

And the LORD said unto Moses, Depart, and go up hence, thou and the people which thou hast brought up out of the land of Egypt, unto the land which I sware unto Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, saying, Unto thy seed will I give it: And I will send an angel before thee; and I will drive out the Canaanite, the Amorite, and the Hittite, and the Perizzite, the Hivite, and the Jebusite: Unto a land flowing with milk and honey: for I will not go up in the midst of thee; for thou art a stiffnecked people: lest I consume thee in the way.

And when the people heard these evil tidings, they mourned: and no man did put on him his ornaments. For the LORD had said unto Moses, Say unto the children of Israel, Ye are a stiffnecked people: I will come up into the midst of thee in a moment, and consume thee: therefore now put off thy ornaments from thee, that I may know what to do unto thee. And the children of Israel stripped themselves of their ornaments by the mount Horeb.

I always thought that book was generally derided as a source of truth on PFM?

A quote from the King James bible dating from about 1611 is possibly not the best source from which to derive current grammar, especially since English is a remarkably flexible language whose rules are more prone to change according to colloquial usage than, say, French or German.

A classic example is what I used to call a record, but is now simply known as vinyl.

I always thought that book was generally derided as a source of truth on PFM?

As a work of English literature it is surpassed only by Shakespeare's plays.

I always thought that dictionaries were there to provide definitions/derivations of words rather than to lay down rules of grammar.

Conjunctions of all sorts can start sentences, but for best effect the conjunction and what follows should be logically connected to the preceding sentence or paragraph.

And that's the shit, man.

Joe

advertisement

Back