advertisement

The Future of the NHS

My brother paid £13000 for a partial knee replacement in October all done privately
Post operatively he had one physio appt and one appt with a consultant.

I had my hip replaced in February on the NHS in a private hospital.
I was operated on by an NHS consultant assisted by an NHS anaethsetist.
Post operatively I have had a follow up phone call the day after I came home, four physio appointments with at least one more booked and one appt with the consultant so far and another in three months.

He clearly got the basic service for his £13k!

My understanding is that the work will be paid for by the NHS, but will be done at the private clinic. https://www.nhs.uk/services/clinic/spamedica-liverpool/NPG06
ah brilliant , i thought you meant you would have to pay yourself. i was incredibly impressed by the optegra guys in Brum who did the op for my friend . bit of a miracle really as he was about 91 and had spent all week trying to fit a central heating boiler timer , he spent all day till late and worked himself into a shivering frency trying to do it . as you may know you have to be dead still when having the op or it can rip the eye . I still cant believe he got through the op as he had a bad chest as well .

friends just paid about 14k for hip to be done and then will be getting the next one on NHS very fast after that

I would never denounce anyone for having an NHS funded op done privately. This is not a people generated problem, this is a political one. This is top down systemic problem, not a bottom up problem.

Dear keith,

The NHS is back in the news in a major way this week, because of a study that has come out from the Royal College of Emergency Medicine, suggesting that
A&E delays could be linked to hundreds of avoidable deaths every week last year (here’s the link to one of the articles: A&E waits: Hundreds of patients a week in England have died unnecessarily.)​
With information like this coming into the public domain, it is more important than ever to demand action from politicians. Put bluntly, the NHS has been decimated because of the decisions of the Conservative government since 2010, and we need them to fix things, fast.​
We’ve therefore decided to hold a special event tomorrow evening at 8pm with Dr Bob Gill. He is an expert in NHS privatisation, and predicted many of the problems in the NHS long before there was widespread understanding about politicians’ intentions. I’ll be interviewing Bob to discuss what the Conservative party, Labour, and other political parties are proposing for the NHS beyond the next election.​
We will only be able to successfully fight for the NHS and push for progress if we understand what politicians are planning, so we’ll talk about what we know so far. There will also be a Q+A session at the end, so that you can ask Bob (or myself) questions too. The last event we ran with Bob was really interesting and lively, and very well-attended. We’d love to see you there tomorrow!​
Important: We know how busy you are, and so the event will also be recorded and available to view at a later date, whenever is convenient.​
All of our online events are free for all EveryDoctor members. If you’re not a member yet, you can join by clicking here! You’ll then be able to join the event tomorrow:​
ADKq_Nba7_s1wlygGJ8wua6Ii8BDOQsRer7EvVyDhOwX47B7b9fa2OedBbnMZWzt2fPvAcH7d-WJIYrgIAtmhE2JZgy57F-72UC5cRbN5CmD2V0tgdUpib4VXguUTnFeSA1mIb8CYKzz2RNeWdnz=s0-d-e1-ft
It is devastating to see the impact of politicians’ decisions on the NHS, the state of the service, and the impact on patients and staff. It’s so important that they are held to account and that we demand better. I’m looking forward to seeing lots of you tomorrow evening!

Take care everyone,​
Ju
Dr Julia Patterson
EveryDoctor Chief Executive​

this is exactly what some posters on here have been saying.

A woman died when a major private healthcare provider failed to transfer her to NHS intensive care quickly enough after she became critically ill.
Sabrina Khan said Spire Healthcare staff "should have known something was wrong" with her mother, Nafisa.
The BBC also obtained testimony from doctors - contracted by the company to work up to 168 hours a week - who say long hours could put patients at risk.
Spire Healthcare has apologised for failings in Nafisa Khan's care.
The death of Mrs Khan from east London is one of several deaths following surgery at Spire Healthcare, looked at by BBC Panorama.
Spire Healthcare, which runs 39 private hospitals across the UK, is one of the biggest private hospital chains.
All surgery, wherever it's carried out, comes with some risk and things can go wrong. Spire has received three Prevention of Future Deaths reports from coroners calling for action in the past two years.

BBC Panorama has found evidence that some patients treated in Spire hospitals were unaware there were no intensive care facilities.
Dr Nick Woodier at the Health Services Safety Investigations Body said that "there is a risk to patient safety", particularly where the NHS does not understand the capabilities of a particular private hospital.

A woman died when a major private healthcare provider failed to transfer her to NHS intensive care quickly enough after she became critically ill.
Sabrina Khan said Spire Healthcare staff "should have known something was wrong" with her mother, Nafisa.
The BBC also obtained testimony from doctors - contracted by the company to work up to 168 hours a week - who say long hours could put patients at risk.
The death of Mrs Khan from east London is one of several deaths following surgery at Spire Healthcare, looked at by BBC Panorama.
Spire Healthcare, which runs 39 private hospitals across the UK, is one of the biggest private hospital chains.
All surgery, wherever it's carried out, comes with some risk and things can go wrong. Spire has received three Prevention of Future Deaths reports from coroners calling for action in the past two years.

BBC Panorama has found evidence that some patients treated in Spire hospitals were unaware there were no intensive care facilities.
Dr Nick Woodier at the Health Services Safety Investigations Body said that "there is a risk to patient safety", particularly where the NHS does not understand the capabilities of a particular private hospital.

Yes, this is the problem when private provision only cherry picks the easiest and most simple cases and is not set up to provide critical care at the same level

I’ve posted about it elsewhere I’m sure. A friend nearly died after surgery in one. Sepsis. Eventually they got him blue lighted to an NHS ICU where he made a slow recovery. He’s still not right though. I will watch that.

It was interesting .when the consultants go home the care is left to the junior drs .often from africa apparently .in nhs hospitals i think they said the maximum they could work was 48 hours

In the private hospitals it can be 164 hours a week , so you can work all day all night and then up all day again they said. Apparently they have changed this now but its still worrying

It was interesting .when the consultants go home the care is left to the junior drs .often from africa apparently .in nhs hospitals i think they said the maximum they could work was 48 hours

In the private hospitals it can be 164 hours a week , so you can work all day all night and then up all day again they said. Apparently they have changed this now but its still worrying
Why in the world are doctors putting up with such sweatshop conditions? Are these all non-citizens who get deported if they get fired?

164 hours pw is 4 hours off in the entire week. There are only 168 hours in a week. Nobody can work 164 hours pw, if you kept someone awake that long they would probably die or at the least suffer some kind of breakdown.

i may have misheard it but that seemed to be what they were saying

Resident medical officers, now called resident doctors, provide 24-hour cover at private hospitals. In some private hospitals, including Spire, these doctors are contracted to work up to 168 hours a week
In one case in Norwich, the coroner issued a warning about Spire's continuing reliance on ambulance transfers to NHS hospitals in the event of emergencies, after three patients had died following long waits.
In England alone, there are more than six million people on NHS waiting lists. In some cases the NHS will pay for patients to be treated in private hospitals to help reduce the backlog.
Since 2021, Spire Healthcare has treated more than half a million NHS patients. Last year its profits rose by more than 30% to £126m.

This may mean they work from 09:00 to 17:00 and then are on call until the following morning, when they work a day shift again and then repeat the pattern across a week.
Since 2009, the NHS has said its doctors should not work on average more than 48 hours a week.
Panorama has obtained the testimony of 28 resident medical officers who worked at Spire until 2022 and who want to remain anonymous. Almost all of them expressed concern about their workload and the potential safety implications for patients.
One said: "I was working round the clock, being the only doctor at night. Feeling constantly burnt out. And this obviously is not safe for the patients, nor for me as a doctor."
"I constantly had concerns about patient safety in the Spire hospital," said another.

Why in the world are doctors putting up with such sweatshop conditions? Are these all non-citizens who get deported if they get fired?

Their superiors and seniors had to put up with similar workloads when they were young, and are hell bent on making sure their young colleagues suffer just as much as they did.

“We are writing as NHS staff members to express our dismay and disbelief at your decision to cut back mental health support for NHS hospital staff from Monday 15th April.

The context to these cuts, as you will be well aware, is one in which levels of psychological distress, depression, anxiety and PTSD among NHS staff have never been higher. One doctor takes their life every three weeks. One nurse takes their life every single week. This is a national tragedy - and one you should be doing everything in your power to address.”

53651902210_9dbbdbf66c_z.jpg

The last time that I could find figures for - 2021???? - the cost of the NHS was pretty much exactly the same as the income to the exchequer from income tax.

Who's up for an across the board, all levels, increase in income tax of 5%?

2%?

1%?

Please do not come back with the lunatic "tax the rich".

The bigger than vast majority of income tax is paid by the vast majority of the people.

advertisement

Back