advertisement

The Future of the NHS

Using data from 2012 to 2017 what took them so long to report? Radiotherapy and chemotherapy have improved in the UK massively since 2012.
I wonder why Dr John Butler who has a large private practice would have reason to shout about this?

Rgds
Stuart

53555183996_505276fa86.jpg

Using data from 2012 to 2017 what took them so long to report? Radiotherapy and chemotherapy have improved in the UK massively since 2012.
I wonder why Dr John Butler who has a large private practice would have reason to shout about this?

Rgds
Stuart

It can take some time to get a paper peer-reviewed and published, and if it involves several authors it can also take time to get it ready for submission.
Even if you're right about the intentions of Dr Butler, there have been other alerts (quick search, not literature review):

Is UK cancer care broken? - October, 2015

Still waiting for a UK cancer plan that truly delivers - November, 2022

Mortality from leading cancers in districts of England from 2002 to 2019: a population-based, spatiotemporal study - December, 2023

Rgds
Stuart
A simple explanation would be that the study looked at the 5-year survival rate. So for a patient entering the study in 2017 the study end point would be 2022, then several months to analyse the data and write the paper, a couple of months for the journal to review the paper, a few weeks to make corrections then a few months before the paper is published.

Bosh, it’s now 2023/4.

a couple of months for the journal to review the paper, a few weeks to make corrections then a few months before the paper is published.

yep but in my area reviews can take up to 6 months........some of the high esteem journals can have 10 reviewers for a paper, it literally takes forever, as can responding to the feedback, or scoring

Had a throat op cancelled in March 2020
After Covid and ops restarted in 2022 NHS lost my surgery approval
Left UK in ‘23 - dual citizenship.
Re-approved for NHS surgery in 08/23
Still waiting for the date. Soon now — I hope.

Will fly back to the UK for when it does.

yes i have been on about this for some while , they cant prescribe either so junior drs have to take responsibility for it

“increases in privatisation frequently corresponded with worse health outcomes for patients. Very few studies evaluated this important reform and there are many gaps in the literature. However, based on the evidence available, our Review provides evidence that challenges the justifications for health-care privatisation and concludes that the scientific support for further privatisation of health-care services is weak”.

Public satisfaction with NHS at lowest ever level, survey shows​

We are falling into a trap. As Noam Chomsky said some time ago, “there is a standard technique of privatization, namely defund what you want to privatize… first thing to do is defund, then they don’t work and people get angry and they want a change. You say okay, privatize them and then they get worse. [Then] the government has to step in and rescue it.”

We will end up with the worst of both worlds. First the NHS will be privatised, it won’t work. Then government will have to spend more and more public money to provide short term fixes to patch things up

How did we get here?

well lack of staff is one of the main causes . if thyey dont pay the Drs what they are worth then no wonder they have no staff . they have saddled nurses with mountains of debt and community nurses have a nightmare with travel costs which escalate fast . the RCN want

We’re calling on the NHS to provide:

• A national uplift to mileage payments for all NHS staff
  • At least national NHS mileage allowance rates or locally agreed rates that are an improvement on national NHS mileage allowance rates
  • An uplift beyond the national NHS mileage allowance rate at least temporarily as a response to the recent fuel increases
We also want the NHS to consider introducing other measures, including:

• receipting of fuel
  • providing fuel cards for staff
  • providing hire cars for staff
  • providing public transport travel passes
  • investing in pool cars for teams
  • paying travel expenses weekly rather than monthly
  • advancing mileage expenses rather paying in arrears

FB is awash with adverts for community nurses , years ago you had to fight to get a job there , now they cant get the staff

No evidence of widespread privatisation of NHS services. The proportion of the NHS budget spent on services delivered by the private sector has remained broadly stable over the past decade.

No evidence of widespread privatisation of NHS services. The proportion of the NHS budget spent on services delivered by the private sector has remained broadly stable over the past decade.
Total nonsense.

The truth is that the NHS spend on ISP’s has increased seven fold in the last decade. In 2020-21 it had increased by £2bn over the previous year.

My mother was told she had cataracts last week. A years waiting for treatment at an NHS clinic or a month or so to be done at a privately run clinic. https://www.spamedica.co.uk
Which is where NHS funding is increasingly disappearing.

That is not in any way a criticism of your Mum, just an illustration of the deliberate funding choices made for reasons of ideology by our government that serve nobody except vested private interests.

My mother was told she had cataracts last week. A years waiting for treatment at an NHS clinic or a month or so to be done at a privately run clinic. https://www.spamedica.co.uk
i would ask around . we went to a optician who diagnosed cateracts and referred to private cateract place on NHS . within days they had contacted us and done free on NHS . hunt around and do research as i am sure it must be similar in your neck of the woods

advertisement

Back