advertisement

The end of Mana Audio

michaelab

desafinado
Companies House have received a Proposal to Strike Off for Mana Audio, allthough the proposal has been suspended, most likely due to objections from the Inland Revenue or HM Customs & Excise which do this if they are owed money by companies requesting to be struck off.

Michael.

Searching the index that Michael has linked to using the company number of 04079600 makes it a whole lot easier.

Cheers,
Simon

An honourable company would have made what has happened clear on their forum.

It is interesting to note that several members on the Mana Forum are implying that the business is still functional and taking orders - check out the 'order form' thread in the main room. I wish JW would make a public statement as to whether Mana are still in business, taking new orders, and whether the company intends to fulfil it’s outstanding customer orders.

This whole situation places independent audio forums such as pfm in a very awkward position; I personally wish Mana no harm and genuinely hope they can recover, but given the proposal to strike off, claims of unfulfilled customer orders and the lack of any real information to the contrary it is hard to recommend anything but extreme caution to pfm members in dealing with this company until their trading status is fully clarified.

Tony.

scrosland said:
Searching the index that Michael has linked to using the company number of 04079600 makes it a whole lot easier.
Yes. Apologies, I tried to link directly to the results but it's obviously session based and so not possible.

For some more info see this thread on ZeroGain.

It's outrageous that JW is saying nothing. I have a lot of respect for IanW aswell but for him (a mod on the Mana forum) to report that he recently took delivery of his order and imply that all is well when it very clearly isn't and others are £1K+ out of pocket is a pretty poor show IMO.

Continuing to trade whilst insolvent is fraud.

Michael.

michaelab said:
Continuing to trade whilst insolvent is fraud.

Michael.

Accepting orders that you know you can't fulfil is wrongful trading, which is less severe (fraudulent trading is hard to prove and also carries severe penalties).

Any creditor can object to a proposal to strike off, although tbh they'd have to be pretty clued up.

edit : btw, it's entirely possible that the proposal to strike off was initiated by Companies House as a result of the failure to file either the last set of accounts on time, or the last annual return (both overdue). I'd be surprised though because they aren't that overdue.

What Tony L said.

The application to have the company stuck-off at Companies House does not necessarily mean that the Company is bust. The normal course of events would be that a Creditor or the directors of the Company would make an application in the High Court to wind the Company up, which if granted would place the Company in the hands of Adminstrators. This does not appear to have happened, as such an application should be preceeded by a notice in the London Gazette. In searching the Gazette, it seems that HM C&E applied to wind up a Company called 'Mana Acoustics Ltd' in July 2000, but there are no recent applications.

If the Company is or has been trading insolvently, then the directors of the Company can be held personally liable.

If you are owned money by a Company for goods you have not received, then the best advice is to try to talk directly to the management of the Company to resolve and/or clarify the position. If you cannot do this to you satisfaction, you can issue a Statutory Demand and follow that up with a winding-up petition if it doesn't produce the desired result. The first, is pretty easy to do, and you could do yourself, the second is more complicated and expensive.

AlexG said:
edit : btw, it's entirely possible that the proposal to strike off was initiated by Companies House as a result of the failure to file either the last set of accounts on time
But not in this case. If you look at the first post in the ZG thread I linked to above you'll see a copy of the actual application for striking off signed by JW himself.

Michael.

btw, it's entirely possible that the proposal to strike off was initiated by Companies House
There's an image of the 652a on the ZG thread apparently signed by JW.

It's of course entirely possible that Mana is reforming itself and that Heuer has fallen through the cracks. That seems unlikely given that JW knows he has a customer with a problem and has remained completely silent and apparently uncontactable.

Paul

Hey, guys, let's cut JW & Mana a break here. Nobody knows the full story (certainly not me) and whilst it is always possible that there's something underhand going on, I should think it's more likely a matter of 'small company has cashflow problems and goes under'. Let the dust settle and then judge.

i agree that jw should make a statement,and the fact that IANW Got his stands recently seems a bit odd considering that jw owes a customer a rack that was orderd over a year ago jw should give him his money back,and ian as a moderator are you trying to tell us that the person who was asking about his rack was deleated from the mana forum and he has not been able to post on the forum,i think that you were fully aware of what was going on why should his post asking about delivery times be removed

Yes it does stink a bit, the fact if the matter is the internet is a very public place, if Mana chooses to be part of that with a forum, then they need to be honest or at the very minimum clear about what is going on.

The stuff that JW does not look at other forums, would not stop information getting to him about the confusion surrounding the company right now.

JTC said:
Hey, guys, let's cut JW & Mana a break here.

Closing down a company in this way voluntarily is usually done a year or more after it stops trading - I know this having had some ex partners try to close down a company in which me and another guy had the majority of shares.

For anyone that is owed money by this company, they have the same rights as any other creditors and can object to the company being wound up. If they don't do this then all the company's remaining assets end up going to companies house.

If JW starts up another company, good luck to him, but at the moment its the creditors that need the slack not the person who allegedly ripped them off.

advertisement

Back