advertisement

The Coffee Thread

I had a wonderful coffee today from Cricks Corner coffee shop in London.

looking at their website they use coffee beans from ‘Dark Arts Coffee’

anyone a customer of this roaster and could recommend a good place to start? Also - they do nespresso style pods and I’d like some of these for work, can these also be good?

I had a wonderful coffee today from Cricks Corner coffee shop in London.

looking at their website they use coffee beans from ‘Dark Arts Coffee’

anyone a customer of this roaster and could recommend a good place to start? Also - they do nespresso style pods and I’d like some of these for work, can these also be good?

Well, I’d not used them before, but I’ve just placed an order for some beans.

Thanks for the tip.

Help required, please. I am going to move to grinding my own beans rather than supermarket ready ground.

I am contemplating a Comandante C40 or one of the 1zpresso models.

My brewing method is either the Hario Switch or an Aeropress—many thanks.

Dave

Help required, please. I am going to move to grinding my own beans rather than supermarket ready ground.

Dave

any particular reason you are looking a hand grinders only?

For your brew methods the Wilfa Svart might suit your needs

I think it's possible to overthink coffee making. As a saxophone player, I relate it to the fact that I could consider going to Cuba to cut and cure the reeds myself, instead of using store-bought ones.
We've had all sorts of coffee machines over the years, starting with a Cona with a meths heater.
Presently we have a Sage Barista Touch. It makes a good cup of coffee.

These, discounting the cost of electricity and depreciation, cost less than 25p each.

No wonder there are so many coffee bars charging silly money for a coffee.

Dave
I have a C40 and use it with an Aeropress and decent beans. I set it to 12 clicks for the Aeropress. I also have a Cafelat Robot for espresso and have found that 7 is best for that.

Bought it after researching online and deciding it looked decent value for the results (subjective and faintly ridiculous given the price, but I mean in terms of results vs other similarly priced options).

The resulting drink is massively better than when I used to use ready ground supermarket stuff, and IMO significantly better than a Americano from coffee chains such as Costa or whatever.

Many variables involved and it could be that the convenience of an Ode would be worth the extra. But the coffee I can make now is lovely, and I’m happy with that.

I think it's possible to overthink coffee making. As a saxophone player, I relate it to the fact that I could consider going to Cuba to cut and cure the reeds myself, instead of using store-bought ones.
We've had all sorts of coffee machines over the years, starting with a Cona with a meths heater.
Presently we have a Sage Barista Touch. It makes a good cup of coffee.

These, discounting the cost of electricity and depreciation, cost less than 25p each.

No wonder there are so many coffee bars charging silly money for a coffee.
The cost of the coffee and the milk is irrelevant put against rent, rates, wages, energy and the capital cost of establishment. That's what you're paying for in a coffeee shop.

The cost of the coffee and the milk is irrelevant put against rent, rates, wages, energy and the capital cost of establishment. That's what you're paying for in a coffeee shop.

Of course you are, I'm a retired retail manager and am fully aware of what comes above the line.

But you completely missed my point.

I wonder if you're familiar with these figures?

The cities with the largest number of Starbucks and how many in each.

So why do you think there's so many?

CityState / TerritoryNumber of Locations
New YorkNew York191
ChicagoIllinois182
Las VegasNevada173
Los AngelesCalifornia163

The gross profit is likely to be in excess of 90% as will it be in similar establishments. The on-costs are likely to be a considerably lower % than a convential retail store.

I am not sure how one gets from a plea for budget conscious coffee simplicity to an £800 coffee making machine.

I have dipped in and out of this thread a few times and would appreciate any info you can offer to make better coffee at home.

The coffee I enjoy the most out and about is a Flat White. Is it possible to make this at home cheaply and consistently using robust simply made equipment for less than £200 all in?

I like my coffee HOT and have used a simple stainless steel stovetop coffee maker for the last 10 years that cost about £25 - it still works well and makes nice (ish) coffee (I buy ground Italian coffee) but it's not as good as a decent Flat White. What coffee is normally used in a Flat White?

Maybe I just need a milk frother or similar and a coffee grinder, whilst continuing to use my stovetop coffee maker? Am I expecting to much - should I just buy a Flat White from a coffee shop and forget about it? Thanks in advance for any tips.

How did you get on?
Pretty well, thanks.

Picked up two kinds of beans. One was Ethiopian and OK but a little simple, the other was Peruvian and very nice, I thought. An interesting maltiness next to the Ethiopian stuff.

Also saw in one of the emails that they’d made merch apparently modelled after the logo of a seminal Black Metal band, which might not mean much to most here, but left me chuffed.

I have dipped in and out of this thread a few times and would appreciate any info you can offer to make better coffee at home.

The coffee I enjoy the most out and about is a Flat White. Is it possible to make this at home cheaply and consistently using robust simply made equipment for less than £200 all in?

I like my coffee HOT and have used a simple stainless steel stovetop coffee maker for the last 10 years that cost about £25 - it still works well and makes nice (ish) coffee (I buy ground Italian coffee) but it's not as good as a decent Flat White. What coffee is normally used in a Flat White?

Maybe I just need a milk frother or similar and a coffee grinder, whilst continuing to use my stovetop coffee maker? Am I expecting to much - should I just buy a Flat White from a coffee shop and forget about it? Thanks in advance for any tips.

I like a flat white as well but never HOT as it scalds the milk and ruins the coffee for me. I don't do the complicated stuff, just a Nespresso machine with a milk steamer, works great for me and the family. We use a DeLonghi Lattissima Pro a bit more than your budget but with separate machines you can get this Citiz and frother for closer.

It won't compete with a decent barista flatwhite from an artisan place but suits us.

Many thanks, Dave H.

My goto drink in a decent coffee shop is either a Cortado or an Americano to which I add milk myself.

Dave

I like a flat white as well but never HOT as it scalds the milk and ruins the coffee for me. I don't do the complicated stuff, just a Nespresso machine with a milk steamer, works great for me and the family. We use a DeLonghi Lattissima Pro a bit more than your budget but with separate machines you can get this Citiz and frother for closer.

It won't compete with a decent barista flatwhite from an artisan place but suits us.
Many thanks for your reply I was hoping to try grinding my own beans or maybe experiment with correctly ground coffee - I have used a Nespresso whilst on holidays but did not really like the coffee (I probably used the wrong pods or Nespresso machine!) and found the coffee too cold for me. I like the look of the frother maybe I should do a bit more research on a frother, grinder, and beans.
Thanks again
Steve

I
Many thanks for your reply I was hoping to try grinding my own beans or maybe experiment with correctly ground coffee - I have used a Nespresso whilst on holidays but did not really like the coffee (I probably used the wrong pods or Nespresso machine!) and found the coffee too cold for me. I like the look of the frother maybe I should do a bit more research on a frother, grinder, and beans.
Thanks again
Steve
If you are using ground Italian coffee such as Illy then I think you will get a nice boost from buying a grinder and getting whole beans. That way your coffee is fresher. A doserless one that you can dispense into the coffee holder of your stovetop device. Spend good money on the grinder - it’s as important as the quality of the bean. You might want to experiment by ordering some espresso blends. Pods are a very expensive way buy coffee, btw. Later you can look around for a used espresso machine that will be able to froth.

advertisement

Back