advertisement

The Coffee Thread

Hoffman has an updated V60 method for single cup brewing after feedback from viewers. The difference compared to his previous method (where he is making more like 500 - 600ml of coffee) is that he splits the pour into 5 (1x50g bloom + 4x50g equal pours for 250ml of coffee) the effect being to slow it down compared to this bigger volume method where he does bloom + two larger pours.

So this makes it more or less identical to the method @AndrewR mentioned above with the main point being to slow everything down a bit. This is interesting, although I have been using Hoffman's method with both 1-cup and 2-cup volumes just fine, albeit with a much slower pour than it seems everyone else was using. I get my 300ml of water in by about 2 mins and a total drawdown of about 3:00 to 3:10.

I suspect Andrew's guy achieves much the same result not least as Hoffman lays out this very precise timing and volume of the pours and then stresses that it doesn't really matter. So I think what matters most is the total time it takes to get all the water in which the guy in Andrew's video expresses as "don't fill too high, pour slow, let it drain" and Hoffman expresses as "50g over 10s, pause 10s, repeat (but don't worry about this too much)". I think this is a bit confusing from Hoffman and a bit too anal retentive and the other bloke expresses it in a much more useful way.

(Also Hoffman calls this multiple small pours "pulse pouring" which is not how I have seen the term used before where it has meant continuous pouring in small drips, which again I suspect is just a proxy for slowing it all down a bit).

Anyway I though that was interesting and I shall try it using Hoffman's method this afternoon. Although I suspect I don't have the patience for the precise timing he uses.

Hoffman has an updated V60 method for single cup brewing after feedback from viewers. The difference compared to his previous method (where he is making more like 500 - 600ml of coffee) is that he splits the pour into 5 (1x50g bloom + 4x50g equal pours for 250ml of coffee) the effect being to slow it down compared to this bigger volume method where he does bloom + two larger pours.

So this makes it more or less identical to the method @AndrewR mentioned above with the main point being to slow everything down a bit. This is interesting, although I have been using Hoffman's method with both 1-cup and 2-cup volumes just fine, albeit with a much slower pour than it seems everyone else was using. I get my 300ml of water in by about 2 mins and a total drawdown of about 3:00 to 3:10.

I suspect Andrew's guy achieves much the same result not least as Hoffman lays out this very precise timing and volume of the pours and then stresses that it doesn't really matter. So I think what matters most is the total time it takes to get all the water in which the guy in Andrew's video expresses as "don't fill too high, pour slow, let it drain" and Hoffman expresses as "50g over 10s, pause 10s, repeat (but don't worry about this too much)". I think this is a bit confusing from Hoffman and a bit too anal retentive and the other bloke expresses it in a much more useful way.

(Also Hoffman calls this multiple small pours "pulse pouring" which is not how I have seen the term used before where it has meant continuous pouring in small drips, which again I suspect is just a proxy for slowing it all down a bit).

Anyway I though that was interesting and I shall try it using Hoffman's method this afternoon. Although I suspect I don't have the patience for the precise timing he uses.

Yes it is pretty similar. And come to think about it I do about 5 pours including the bloom.

The minor difference it that I wait until I see the brew bed peaking out of the water line, before I do my next pour. The benefits are that you can see whether you are getting a flat brew bed (a good sign) and the next pour will then agitate the surface. Perhaps James will include that in his next video

Andrew

I am delighted with my new grinder, a Eureka Mignon Specialita, and it has made a big difference. The Gaggia Classic Pro I bought on here is a pleasure.

Doesn't this mean the brew never gets a chance to properly settle? I've heard a rival guru insist that the second pour shouldn't stir things up any more than necessary. Admittedly he was selling a gizmo to help with that.

Doesn't this mean the brew never gets a chance to properly settle? I've heard a rival guru insist that the second pour shouldn't stir things up any more than necessary. Admittedly he was selling a gizmo to help with that.

He talks a lot about that in the video. Specifically how to pour to get some, but not too much turbulence.

I must remember to get the Cona out this Christmas - it's the coolest thing

iu

I must remember to get the Cona out this Christmas - it's the coolest thing

iu

i have always fancied one of those - i seem to have too many coffee making devices though (according to the Mrs) - not sure you can have too many - bit like having too many bottles of gin! :D

i have always fancied one of those - i seem to have too many coffee making devices though (according to the Mrs) - not sure you can have too many - bit like having too many bottles of gin! :D
It’s always great to watch the face of someone who hasn’t seen one of these before when it hits the second phase, and the vacuum draws the coffee back into the serving vessel.

I am delighted with my new grinder, a Eureka Mignon Specialita, and it has made a big difference. The Gaggia Classic Pro I bought on here is a pleasure.
My Mignon and Gaggia Classic combo does sterling work here also. Unfortunately I’ve seen this thread and allowed my focus to be compromised. Not only have I been sucked into the world of cold brew (fairly straightforward, I can cope) but now I’ve been given an advent calendar of Pour Over. This is costing me a fortune, and it isn’t even December 1 yet. I’ve got the gooseneck kettle, the unbleached papers, the pour-into thingy (apparently I got the wrong material, but you can’t have everything). I’m still searching for a Hoffman-approved stopwatch, pipette and stirring stick.

My Mignon and Gaggia Classic combo does sterling work here also. Unfortunately I’ve seen this thread and allowed my focus to be compromised. Not only have I been sucked into the world of cold brew (fairly straightforward, I can cope) but now I’ve been given an advent calendar of Pour Over. This is costing me a fortune, and it isn’t even December 1 yet. I’ve got the gooseneck kettle, the unbleached papers, the pour-into thingy (apparently I got the wrong material, but you can’t have everything). I’m still searching for a Hoffman-approved stopwatch, pipette and stirring stick.

Like hifi, it is very easy to get obsessive about tiny subtleties, and I often have an admiration for those that really pursue a goal. Personally, I am really happy with the investment I made, and I like a nice cup of coffee, and to make my wife one that makes her go 'mmm'.

52534276271_814ac5b5a5.jpg

Everything is in place for the Teach Yourself V60 advent calendar starting tomorrow. I see the month panning out like this…

Days 1-3 - master the basics. Don’t scald yourself, work out which display is the timer and which is the scales, don’t accidently snort the coffee while you are confirming the notes, etc.

Days 4-7 - first tentative uses of phrases like ‘bloom’ and ‘extraction ratio’ while checking to see if anyone is laughing.

Days 8-12 - gaining in confidence, daring to compare notes with matthewr about timings and best stirrer material.

Days 13-16 - acceptance into the ranks of pfm coffee gurus. Post first You Tube clip complete with an expression of mock horror and DON’T MAKE YOUR COFFEE LIKE THIS!!! in a shouty yellow font.

Days 17-19 - my You Tube channel builds to 500,000 twitterati, or likers, or whatever they are called.

Days 21-24 - market my range of coffee accoutrements under the slogan ‘you’ve tried the others, now try the most expensive!’ It’s an instant smash, of course.

Day 25 - flog the lot to Elon Musk, thus becoming a pfm pariah. Retire to the Seychelles and think about buying a Teach Yourself Interconnect Cables advent calendar.

OK. Day 1. Don’t worry, I’m not going to post every day of my advent calendar, that would be immensely tedious. But I thought I might make an observation or two, and hopefully be pointed in the right direction if I make stupid mistakes. And if I’m honest, as there’s some kind of soccer thing going on no-one will be bothering with this thread.

I decided to follow the instructions given to me by my coffee supplier, as I don’t do YouTube. I heated up my kettle, washed out the paper and poured my coffee in. As the water came towards boiling I read the story on the packet of how The Cartel were pressuring Manuel to leave his plantation. Bastards. I still don’t know what a neoliberal is, but I bet The Cartel is full of them.

I let the water drop to an indicated 95C, zeroed the scales and set the timer. ‘Pour 50g into the middle of the coffee and stir until saturated.’ Well, OK - but it was really a thick sludge, I wasn’t sure how saturated it was. Never mind… ‘after 30 seconds, pour in 250g gently in a circular motion over the coffee.’ Well, after stirring, a minute had already passed - never mind again… ‘Leave to brew for three and a half minutes.’ I was flummoxed here. Was I somehow supposed to control the flow of coffee using mind over matter? I suppose this instruction is for those who can control the grind size. Never mind again… it seemed to take about the right time anyway.

Time for a taste. Hey, not bad! More delicate than I’m used to, but rather good. Lemony and cinnamony. Let’s take another look at the packet. Hints of lavender and honey. Oh. Not sure. Hang on - yes, there’s something floral and herby. That could be lavender! I’m getting the hang of this!! Process - washed. I shrugged. Well, OK, hygiene is good. Acidity - orange. I decided this meant ‘like an orange’ rather than a green-orange-red scale. I’d said lemon, who’s arguing? Roast - light… equals delicate in my book, tick… Mouthfeel - silky. Well, the mouthfeel was black coffee to me, but I couldn’t be expected to crack all the codes on day 1. A good start, and I’m looking forward to the morning.

advertisement

Back