advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

A wet day after days of sunshine, so I'm only just catching up with the Whitsuntide Cantatas.

I've got as far as yesterday and BWV 68, and am enjoying the wonderful second movement, a duet between the treble and viole de gambe, beautifully sung by a virtuosic boy on the Teldec version. Magic.

... it's violoncello piccolo. The soloist is Peter Jelosits in his last recording as a treble for Harnoncourt.

I went to listen to its original source in The Hunt Cantata today, and found that it's the only cantata I haven't got. Duly ordered.

I'm sure you guys listen to Record Review on R3 on Saturdays and recently two favourites came up - The Firebird and Jeux. The Firebird got the green light for Montreal/Dutoit and no argument there.
The new time is a killer for me, there is usually cricket to listen to in the afternoon.

I could listen on the player but it`s a faff.

I`m a big fan of Dutoit though.

Schubert Piano Sonatas 20 & 21 - Zimerman (DG) - very fine performances of these magnificent works. Highly recommended.

I don't listen to D960 much - I find it over-rated. But when I do it's always the live Horowitz from the 1950s.

Some of the earlier sonatas are very nice. Lupu and Richter are usually good.

I heard a snatch of this on the radio and it took me a while to identify it - I went through Tchaikovsky, Schumann, Brahms and Borodin first. I was pretty sure it was Russian, and a scherzo from a symphony.

Very pleased with a spot at my local Oxfam the 1955 Bayreuth recordings of the Ring cycle. Listening to Das Rheingold first, very atmospheric recording considering its 1955.

"The Art of Melancholy" - songs by John Dowland.
611nkBh9+ZL._AC_SL300_.jpg

Iestyn Davies (countertenor) and Thomas Dunford (lute).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

Two pianists playing On an Overgrown Path by Janacek. Interesting comparison - I think I prefer Pechokova over Couvert. Lovely music, but it has to be played right. Many pianists don't seem to get it. Maybe because it's too simple and exposed. If you check it out, I'd be curious to know which pianist you prefer.

advertisement

Back