advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

I just watched a programme about Nigel Kennedy playing The Four Seasons, so now I will be playing the Academy of St Martin's with Neville Marriner version.
I really like that version with the ASMF under Marriner, and Alan Loveday. Interestingly, my wife bought that recording on vinyl... yes, vinyl... about 37 years ago. AAMOF, it's the only vinyl record that my wife has purchased since 1982, when we first met...

Even though the Four Seasons is ultra hackneyed, it still gets played from time to time around here. Enjoy!

I really like that version with the ASMF under Marriner, and Alan Loveday. Interestingly, my wife bought that recording on vinyl... yes, vinyl... about 37 years ago. AAMOF, it's the only vinyl record that my wife has purchased since 1982, when we first met...

Even though the Four Seasons is ultra hackneyed, it still gets played from time to time around here. Enjoy!
It's the LP (yes, LP) that got me into classical music. I have 5 different versions of The 4 Seasons, and it's still my favourite. Somewhat distant and austere, but that is part of its charm, particularly Winter.

My favourite contemporary composer.
Arvo Part. I just looked him up, and he is still alive. šŸ˜
I insisted on going to Ravenna a few years ago to hear a performance of his music in the Basilica. Fortunately there was a Sardinian vocal group singing there too, so we were both happy.

Philip Glass Solo Piano, (vinyl) 2014 release. Lovely music, and a good quality pressing.

Ralph Vaughan Williams - Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis
BBC SO, Andrew Davis, 2022 Warner Clasics, vinyl reissue of the 1991 release.

This is a work that I don't remember hearing previously, but recently it's cropped up several times on Radio 3 and it slowly sunk in. A quietly compelling piece.

advertisement

Back