advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

Kronos Quartet - Philip Glass, String Quartets, Nos. 5, 4, 2, 3
Recent-ish release on vinyl. Precise playing but still with an attractive warmth. I'm rather enjoying this piece.

Currently this which is a real peach, iconic Smetana piece on side A, & particularly the Dvorak on side B.. I'd never heard this before.

Fantastic recording too, in my premier league classicals.

E97-BAA91-4-D8-E-4-CE7-B860-3590-C955-B1-D9.jpg

Capt

'Music for the Royal Fireworks' CD - Handel.

Charity Shop version.

Learning question- recommendations for 'dramatic' classical pieces- next on my list is 'The Rite of Spring' by Stravinsky - any others. :)
Perhaps also Stravinsky - Petrouchka & The Firebird.
Shostakovich - Symphony no 10
Mahler - Symphony 5 & 6
Tuur - Magma

Rachmaninoff for two (pianos).
919T0UpisvL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

From amongst the recent crop of new releases on Qobuz this is one that really drew my attention. It's new repertoire to me, so after a suitable period I will have to listen again to see whether it still engages as strongly.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Time Machine: Sean Shibe and Sinfonia Cymru, BBC R3 In Concert from last Tuesday. Modern music with an emphasis on guitar. Featuring Steve Reich and Philip Glass, of course, plus lots of interesting stuff like Pamela Z's Ethel Dreams of Temporal Disturbances. Worth a listen.

Vivaldi - Concertos for Viola D'Amore (RV 392-397) - Nane Calabrese with I Solisti Veneti under Claudio Scimone. This Erato disc is a real treat.

Last edited:
Chamber music by Galina Ustvolskaya this afternoon
Much needed complex music
What an interesting composer!

Qobuz has three disks (EDIT: there are more from searching just on "Ustvolskaya" or "Ustwolskaya" or "Ustwolskaja"). I have viewed the two YouTube videos above and also just listened to the first of the Qobuz discs. I am digesting what I have heard and I am trying to place it into some sort of context. Maybe it's in its own but certainly it's from another part of late 20th century music that I wasn't aware of. Many thanks, @herb.

What an interesting composer!

Qobuz has three disks (EDIT: there are more from searching just on "Ustvolskaya" or "Ustwolskaya" or "Ustwolskaja"). I have viewed the two YouTube videos above and also just listened to the first of the Qobuz discs. I am digesting what I have heard and I am trying to place it into some sort of context. Maybe it's in its own but certainly it's from another part of late 20th century music that I wasn't aware of. Many thanks, @herb.
Wiki is very informative. Her link to Shostakovich is obvious and her music to me is a form of meditation. I only picked it up on this site in a discussion about bass instrument sounds. Love Pinkfishmedia.

Wiki is very informative. Her link to Shostakovich is obvious and her music to me is a form of meditation. I only picked it up on this site in a discussion about bass instrument sounds. Love Pinkfishmedia.
Just googling a bit on Ustvolskaya.... she really resented the fact that almost no-one gave consideration to her music or career without framing it in terms of her relationship with Shostakovich. They seem to have had an estrangement after she studied with him for a few years. She was quite disparaging about his music after he died.

Inspired by the "Nazi" thread I dug this forgotten disc out of my shelves (well, virtually, they have languished om my music server for about 9 years!)

Actually available at Presto, but not on Amazon at that daft price 2nd hand.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcmVzdG8tY292ZXItaW1hZ2VzIiwia2V5IjoiNzk5NDkwMS4xLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2l6ZSI6eyJ3aWR0aCI6OTAwfSwid2VicCI6eyJxdWFsaXR5Ijo2NX0sInRvRm9ybWF0Ijoid2VicCJ9LCJ0aW1lc3RhbXAiOjE0MDE5ODI1MTh9

The Brahms is a joy compared to his Berlin Phil recordings, lively, spontaneous and the slower middle movement flow instead of limp. Superb 1960s recording. I wonder if Vienna brought out the best in Karajan.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back