advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

Both 0 and 00 are excellent Bruckner symphonies!

There's an old Melodiya double CD album of 0 and 00 with Rozhdestvensky conducting that is well worth looking out for.

Various excerpts from R3 Afternoon Concert that I've recorded over the last few weeks; some of the more mellow pieces are good for easing into the day over coffee; Corelli, Dvorak, Mozart amongst others.

Rachmaninoff Elegiac Piano Trios - Trio Wanderer (harmonia mundi)
- The Moscow Rachmaninov Trio (Helios)

This music deserves to be much better known…

Mozart Divertimenti KV 113,137, & 251. Academy Chamber Ensemble. Philips Digital Recording (420 181-1)

Fantastic recording, does my Lp12 proud Lp's like this. Gorgeous tiptop jaunty Mozart.

Capt

Vivaldi, a lesser known one- Concertos With Organ (deutsche 2530 652).

Funny twiddly-diddly organ but it's still fantastic even so.

I think perhaps Vivaldi is my favourite composer. After Elliott Smith.

Capt

'Music for the Royal Fireworks' CD - Handel.

Charity Shop version.

Learning question- recommendations for 'dramatic' classical pieces- next on my list is 'The Rite of Spring' by Stravinsky - any others. :)

Scriabin Piano Concerto. Ashkenazy-Lorin Maazel and the LPO. Not at all familiar with Scriabin, but this was a very pleasant surprise.

9declp32253-large__94005.1704800732.500.750.jpg

Continuing on with Rachmaninoff’s two Elegiac Piano Trios, this time with a recording that arrived just today.
The recording was made in 1984, and features the Beaux Arts Trio on Chandos. I have never come across a recording by the BAT that has been less than superb, and this recording is no exception.
The balance between instruments, the ensemble playing, and the way this group of three musicians makes these melodies pull at your heart strings is certainly something special. Rachmaninoff showed what kind of talent he possessed, even in these very early works. In hindsight, it all makes sense…

advertisement

Back