advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

In view of recent events a selection of Shostakovich Symphonies Barshai CD box.

Followed by Conlon Nancarrow music for player piano, suitably mechanical - just like reality?

Brahms Violin Concerto/Krebbers/RCO/Haitink (Phillips) - this recording is the first one that I ever heard of this great concerto. I’ve heard many since then, but I think overall this one is my favourite.
Krebbers finds the ideal blend of raw energy and refinement, which for me, gives the performance a sense of “abandon” in certain places, that really works with this masterpiece.

Charles-Valentin Alkan, Concerto for solo piano, Marc-André Hamelin. Hyperion. Alkan: Concerto for solo piano, Souvenirs op15: Amazon.co.uk: CDs & Vinyl.

For me the concerto just finished was a "sit up and take notice" performance. Alkan's fiendish piano writing is more than matched by Hamelin's mastery; and Hyperion's recording quality is right up there with the best.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
81sCICHzKvL._SX425_.jpg

I'm not sure why I did not listen to this until now, but I did not. That was silly. As expected, Abduraimov delivers absolutely top-notch playing, up there with the greatest of today's ivory tickers. (Schuch or Hamelin or Volodos or Son, say.) Better yet, he adds numerous personal touches to each piece without overdoing it. I had slight misgivings about how his Debussy might sound, but such misgivings were misplaced. Every piece is perfectly stylized, and Golliwog's Cakewalk delights. Chopin's Preludes end up sounding superb, with each one again perfectly realized, and the Raindrop Prelude up there with whatever other version one may want to compare it to. And then there's Pictures. While I love this piece in its proper piano version (and dislike the orchestrated version), I didn't feel the need to hear a new version. How wrong I was. I'll start with the one quibble: the opening to the Great Gate of Kiev sounds smaller in scale than I typically prefer, but Abduraimov more than makes up for it while he builds up to a satisfying conclusion. Everything else is basically perfect. His execution and interpretation rate with Janis and Pogorelich. A phenomenal recording. I will have to buy a copy rather than just stream.

RVW - Dona Nobis Pacem conducted by Richard Hickox.

I am a big fan of Richard Hickox. Other more well known conductors have made a right mess of Tippett's music, he is the only one who understands it and makes it flow.

71X6h61KmLL._SX425_.jpg

A half new to me, half not recording. It opens with Say’s Second Violin Sonata, sub-titled Mount Ida, which is inspired by the ecological destruction at the cited mountain in Turkey. Say turns this event into a smokin’ chamber piece. The opening movement ‘Decimation of Nature’ is violent and intense, and it gives way to the second movement ‘Wounded Bird’ in which distorted bird calls are played on violin. Forget Messiaen, this is how to depict bird calls in music. The final movement, ‘Rite of Hope’, is dedicated to the people who tried to stop it. With or without the programmatic elements, this piece sounds splendid and hopefully joins the regular chamber music repertoire. The short solo violin piece Cleopatra follows, and Friedemann Eichhorn delivers the knotty but expressive goods as he did in the opening work. The last two works on the disc are more familiar, and both have received multiple recordings. Both are dedicated to Patricia Kopatchinskaja, who also recorded them. The First Violin Sonata comes off very well, and while Eichhorn sounds absolutely fine, he does not generate the same degree of intensity and vitality as Kopatchinskaja. The same holds true in 1001 Night in the Harem. Of course, here one gets no less than Christoph Eschenbach conducting, so everything works well.

Sound quality is top notch, playing is top notch, and Fazil Say’s penchant for pronounced vocalizing is under control here. A great disc, sure to be a purchase of the year. There’s contemporary music well worth exploring and buying.

61fwRqA0LiL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Jacobs presents this very recent release as a restored hörspiel with prologue material reinstated from the original libretto (to music constructed from the rest of the score). I suspect some may not appreciate Jacobs' innovative ideas. However, I like what he does with those of his opera recordings I have heard so far, albeit with some minor reservations. I find I get over these easily enough because of the music. I don't think I have any reservations with this one, though.

The conducting has drive and the recording quality is exemplary. I will have to listen again to my often-played Carlos Kleiber version to see how it compares. However, I think there's room to enjoy both for their individual merits.

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
71s3TuabDuL._SS425_.jpg

Until I purchased this recording, I had not even seen the name Mladen Čolić. I only bought this recording when I decided to buy all extant Naxos recordings of Soler sonatas on piano, part of a big lump of repertoire. This is much, much more than that. Čolić's recital offers some of the very best Soler playing I've heard, right up there with Marie-Luise Hinrichs and Frederick Marvin. Stylistically, he is very different than Hinrichs, who sort of inhabits her own artistic world. He's closer to Marvin, but then he's not really like Marvin. Čolić's playing surpasses either Hinrich's or Marvin's in sheerly pianistic terms, and at least matches Borowiak in the Naxos series.

But Čolić goes further. There's no way that this obvious contract job of consecutive sonatas represents the pianist's favorite Soler, but you'd never know that from the playing. From first note to last, he imparts energy, wit, charm, fun - so much fun - with C Major as sunny as the key can get, and a sense of fresh discovery, delivered with felicitous touch after felicitous touch. There are so many, in every movement of every work, it is impossible to pinpoint any one or ten or twenty. He does especially well dispatching arpeggios quickly, cleanly, with each note distinct. In multiple places, he very slightly delays a right hand note just that teeny tiny bit, to excellent effect each time. His dynamic control is supremely fine and performed within a proper range - there's no hammering out unneeded fortissimo here. He is content to find shade after shade between mp and mf in extended passages, though he plays louder or softer with ease and panache and a just right feel. His rhythmic variegation matches his dynamic control.

Čolić has a thin discography, only three titles, two of them on Naxos. Some YouTube videos of him playing other repertoire are available. Though I doubt it happens, I’d love to hear him record a broad array of repertoire, starting with Scarlatti and Mozart, and then moving on to everything else. I fear he may end up more like Julian Gorus.

A real find, and in excellent sound, to boot.

71lRWPOfrUL._SY425_.jpg

First listen. I have high expectations for every Pavel Haas Quartet release, and they deliver every time. They do so here. Both recordings boast vitality aplenty, superb ensemble playing, vigorous attacks by the strings, and the resonant recording allows for satisfying dynamic range with an almost palpable sense of music swelling to fill the room, especially in the Piano Quintet. (This requires listening at immoderate volume, which is highly recommended.) More listens are needed to confirm, but all indications are that this will be a purchase of the year.

51Y693u4unL._UX425_.jpg

Mladen Čolić’s Soler on modern grand disc on Naxos stands as the highpoint of that series so far, so I just had to hear his debut solo recital on Naxos. Unfortunately, the first thing one notices is the sub-par sound, which is close and has limited lower register weight.* Fortunately, the second thing one notices far outweighs sound quality: the playing. Čolić brings fresh new insights to the well-known music on this recording, and he introduces a corker of a new work. That new work is Tardes de almazara by Juan Medina, a just shy of ten-minute flurry of notes, written in a sort of avant-garde style, with kinda quotations and allusions to other composers. The piece flies by, almost overwhelming the listener with musical invention and goodness.

The rest of the disc is given over to Ravel, Rachmaninoff, Schumann, and closes with Schubert’s D760. The Ravel Valses nobles et sentimentales starts almost rough and clunky, but, partly aided by the bass-light sound and Čolić’s less generous than normal pedaling, one soon begins to hear every little detail. As in his Soler, Čolić tinkers with every aspect of playing, all the time, with very fine dynamic control and micro-tempo shifts everywhere. He maintains an appropriate, or almost appropriate but just kind of off rhythmic style. The disc then moves on to three of Rach’s Études-Tableaux, and Čolić delivers an idiosyncratic musical x-ray, where individual note accents and accelerations and decelerations are performed just because, and they work. They do not sound like any other Rach recordings I have heard. Čolić then does something basically miraculous: he makes me like Schumann’s Toccata, a piece I typically merely tolerate. Some of the playing sounds off, as if he played the wrong thing, until he repeats the playing, and his little touches and forward momentum combine to compel more than any other version I’ve heard.

The disc closes with the Wanderer Fantasie, and here the lack of bass heft limits scale, precluding a quasi-orchestral feel. What one gets in the single-track work is a piano-scaled rendition where some of the dynamic contrasts are muted, but the clarity of voices at times completely dominates the listening experience. The tempo shifts, sometimes abrupt yet precisely controlled, can nearly startle. The theme and variations movements doesn’t quite display a Kirschnereit level of differentiation, but the listener is keenly aware that the movement is a theme and variations. As compelling as all this is, it is when Čolić slows down and plays quietly – oh so very quietly – that one is treated to something even better, with the quality approaching that of Jean-Rodolphe Kars. Čolić does so much in the piece, and there is so much to enjoy, that one sits nearly gobsmacked. It makes for a supremely fine end to a magnificent recording.

* What is it about piano recordings made in Spain? Almost every one I have heard, from any pianist on any label, has been far from SOTA, though ultimately listenable. Fortunately, every sub-par sounding disc has displayed exceptional musical quality, which is the right trade-off.

Always loved this recording but any recommendations? (Britten rather than Walton)

There are several good recordings of Britten's Violin Concerto from recent years. Its a great piece, not sure why it isn't up there with Shostakovich 1, Prokofiev 2, Bartok 2 among the great C.20th violin concertos.

Frank Peter Zimmerman with Manfred Honeck conducting the Swedish RSO - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01K8O9OEU/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
Also includes cracking performance of bothe of Szymanowski's concertos.
(might not be available at amazon but downloads available at presto classical.)

Tasmin Little with Edward Gardner and the BBC Phil - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00C30ZA64/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
Includes Britten's Piano concerto which really isn't in the same league as the Violin concerto.

ncludes Britten's Piano concerto which really isn't in the same league as the Violin concerto.
The violin concerto was the first of him I heard and got all excited. Explored further but always been disappointed. May try again now I can stream.

advertisement

Back