advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

Holst 'The planets', Berliner Philharmoniker Orchestra- Herbert von Karajan.

One can simply not have enough versions of this piece of music.:)

Indeed - but that Karajan version is one of my least favourites and much inferior to his earlier VPO recording - in my opinion of course.

Last edited:
I have that Karajan/VPO 1961 recording, in a remastered version released by Diapason, and it is superb. It was one of the versions they selected in a shootout a few years ago. Combined with Boult 1944, also beautiful although the sound is obv. not as special.

A delightful evening with Ditter Von Dittersdorf...splendid recording.
Very highly thought of by Haydn and Mozart.
What memorable evenings they must have been in Vienna in the 1780s when Von Dittersdorf (1st violin),Haydn(2nd violin),Van Hal(cello) and Mozart(viola) would meet to perform string quartets.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000JVSVGA/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

71b-yNusEbL._SX522_PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,4,-40_OU11__.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
81x7WmR-KLL._SX425_.jpg

Well, um, wow. When the Goodall Ring was reissued by Chandos, I read some hoopla, but the timings were absurdly long, and, worse yet, the operas were sung in English. Wagner in English. What's the point? (I mean, really, imagine Peter Grimes sung in German.) Hard pass.

I saw the ClassicsToday review of Goodall's Tristan and my curiosity was piqued. Yes, the slow tempi remain, but it's sung in German, as it should be. The glowing review and perfectly reasonable price prompted me to buy, and boy, am I glad I did. My last new Tristan was Fluffy's studio effort, which is quite good, but this is rather better. To be sure, the singers and orchestra and recorded sound have all been bettered in other recordings, though not all at once, but the thing here is the conducting, the big picture.

Act I is not revelatory, but it's something. The entire opera is very long, coming in at 4'20", but it never feels slow. Goodall's dramatic command ranks with the greats, and his presentation is at times relaxed and it flows perfectly at all times. He never leads anything too slowly, never overemphasizes anything, never unduly underscores anything, all while leveraging early digital Decca sound to reveal pretty much every detail. Are harps that distinct in person? Nope. Do violins get that type aural focus, as in the passages leading up to the reappearance of the Prelude? Nuh uh. So what? Goodall also uses his slow overall tempo to perfection as he ratchets up intensity in the coda. And if his singers don't set standards, they work very well, and when the soon to be lovers call each other's names, it's most affecting. And that's just Act I.

In Act II, the exchange between Brangäne and Isolde is tense, and then the second scene starts off at a gallop, and only intensifies as the lovers meet, with Goodall showing he knows when to whip the band into a frenzy. Nice. The entire scene maintains a sense of tension belying any reputation for excess slowness, and it most certainly never sounds sluggish, though it does assume a more languid, sensual sound. Perhaps one could object to the spotlighting and the almost syrupy string playing, but in this scene that can't really be considered a problem. As a bonus, one gets a preview of the Liebestod, and Gwynne Howell sings King Mark's most effectively, paired with weighty and perfectly flowing accompaniment.

Act III starts with a slow, weighty, grim and at times funereal Prelude, and John Mitchinson sings well. Indeed, his singing may just sound too beautiful at times. I will confess that here the intensity of Jon Vickers works exceedingly well, and when one matches the singing style with the acting (and, alas, dreadful visuals) as in Orange '73, one hears and sees what else can be done with the role and Act. But here is where comparisons display limitations, because Vickers' approach, good as it is, isn't really suited to Goodall's conception whereas Mitchinson's blends in just fine. One does feel the impact of the slow overall tempo of the Act at times, but somehow it actually enhances enjoyment, and again, when full force tuttis appear, the contrast and dramatic impact are enhanced, as in the build up to Isolde's arrival. The opera moves forward from that moment on with an at times almost breathless intensity, aided by the careful pacing. Linda Esther Gray delivers a fine Liebestod, with Goodall delivering on the promise shown in the prior act. Sure, Catarina Ligendza still owns this little chunk of Wagner as far as I'm concerned, but within Goodall's conception, everything comes off just dandy.

After the positive review in CT, I expected good things, but this entirely crushed expectations. I almost wanted to listen again immediately, and will again relatively soon - and soon for a Wagner opera - and I'd like to do A/Bs, but that's rather difficult to do. Based on impact, this rates up there with Karl Böhm at Bayreuth in '66 and Carlos Kleiber at La Scala in '78. In other words, this is top shelf stuff.

I have noticed that there's a German language Parsifal led by Goodall out there. Might be worth hearing. I'm kind of questioning the hard pass thing, too.

Amazonn UK link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N3RG7BN/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Handel Organ Concerto No.11.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/9051861044/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

-this is a glorious pre-digital quadraphonic recording remastered for SACD, unfortunately I no longer have the set up to play the multichannel layer. The organ of the Haarlem Oud Katholieke Kerk is captured beautifully. Can’t recommend it enough.

81x7WmR-KLL._SX425_.jpg

Well, um, wow. When the Goodall Ring was reissued by Chandos, I read some hoopla, but the timings were absurdly long, and, worse yet, the operas were sung in English. Wagner in English. What's the point? (I mean, really, imagine Peter Grimes sung in German.) Hard pass.

I saw the ClassicsToday review of Goodall's Tristan and my curiosity was piqued. Yes, the slow tempi remain, but it's sung in German, as it should be. The glowing review and perfectly reasonable price prompted me to buy, and boy, am I glad I did. My last new Tristan was Fluffy's studio effort, which is quite good, but this is rather better. To be sure, the singers and orchestra and recorded sound have all been bettered in other recordings, though not all at once, but the thing here is the conducting, the big picture.

Act I is not revelatory, but it's something. The entire opera is very long, coming in at 4'20", but it never feels slow. Goodall's dramatic command ranks with the greats, and his presentation is at times relaxed and it flows perfectly at all times. He never leads anything too slowly, never overemphasizes anything, never unduly underscores anything, all while leveraging early digital Decca sound to reveal pretty much every detail. Are harps that distinct in person? Nope. Do violins get that type aural focus, as in the passages leading up to the reappearance of the Prelude? Nuh uh. So what? Goodall also uses his slow overall tempo to perfection as he ratchets up intensity in the coda. And if his singers don't set standards, they work very well, and when the soon to be lovers call each other's names, it's most affecting. And that's just Act I.

In Act II, the exchange between Brangäne and Isolde is tense, and then the second scene starts off at a gallop, and only intensifies as the lovers meet, with Goodall showing he knows when to whip the band into a frenzy. Nice. The entire scene maintains a sense of tension belying any reputation for excess slowness, and it most certainly never sounds sluggish, though it does assume a more languid, sensual sound. Perhaps one could object to the spotlighting and the almost syrupy string playing, but in this scene that can't really be considered a problem. As a bonus, one gets a preview of the Liebestod, and Gwynne Howell sings King Mark's most effectively, paired with weighty and perfectly flowing accompaniment.

Act III starts with a slow, weighty, grim and at times funereal Prelude, and John Mitchinson sings well. Indeed, his singing may just sound too beautiful at times. I will confess that here the intensity of Jon Vickers works exceedingly well, and when one matches the singing style with the acting (and, alas, dreadful visuals) as in Orange '73, one hears and sees what else can be done with the role and Act. But here is where comparisons display limitations, because Vickers' approach, good as it is, isn't really suited to Goodall's conception whereas Mitchinson's blends in just fine. One does feel the impact of the slow overall tempo of the Act at times, but somehow it actually enhances enjoyment, and again, when full force tuttis appear, the contrast and dramatic impact are enhanced, as in the build up to Isolde's arrival. The opera moves forward from that moment on with an at times almost breathless intensity, aided by the careful pacing. Linda Esther Gray delivers a fine Liebestod, with Goodall delivering on the promise shown in the prior act. Sure, Catarina Ligendza still owns this little chunk of Wagner as far as I'm concerned, but within Goodall's conception, everything comes off just dandy.

After the positive review in CT, I expected good things, but this entirely crushed expectations. I almost wanted to listen again immediately, and will again relatively soon - and soon for a Wagner opera - and I'd like to do A/Bs, but that's rather difficult to do. Based on impact, this rates up there with Karl Böhm at Bayreuth in '66 and Carlos Kleiber at La Scala in '78. In other words, this is top shelf stuff.

I have noticed that there's a German language Parsifal led by Goodall out there. Might be worth hearing. I'm kind of questioning the hard pass thing, too.

Amazonn UK link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N3RG7BN/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
Well, they did say back then that Goodall had ‘the Wagner beat’. Perhaps the medical term is bradycardia.

61b3Nm1ZdeL._SX425_.jpg

Does Arcadi Volodos have a rival in the softer-than-soft, more beautiful than it should be, or even by human standards could be pianistic sweepstakes? Evgeni Bozhanov is not new to me, so I already know the answer to my silly query: just about. Bozhanov, whom I first heard as musical partner to Suyoen Kim on her disc Mozartiana, and then on two other mixed rep discs, is one of those Russian School pianists of seemingly limitless ability who mixes overtly virtuosic playing with something much more rarified, and in this disc he focuses on the more rarified aspects. In some ways, he reminds me of fellow Bulgarian Julian Gorus in his approach. Meaning, of course, that Volodos has two near-peers.

The recording opens with Max Reger's transcription of Richard Strauss' Morgen, Op 27, No 4. The music sounds stupid beautiful, too languid by half, and positively dreamy, the very embodiment of German Romanticsim heavily informed by Impressionism, not of the Debussyan sort, but of the pure aural equivalent of Monet. Next up is something new in my listening experience, another Reger transcription, this time of the Poco Allegretto from Brahms' Third. Bozhanov's languid (nearly) to a fault approach, and his tendency to make every note, chord, and phrase equally important ends up almost distracting the listener as the familiar music emerges with a new textural clarity, but one ends up ravenously devouring the delicate melodies and both intricate yet, at least at times, simple accompaniment. The piece emerges nearly triumphant, albeit in a very small-scaled and almost entirely pianissimo to mezzo-piano way.

The big work is Schubert's D960, a work I should tire of soon. (JK.) Bozhanov does a few things differently. First, he drops the repeat in the opening Molto Moderato. Second, as is usually the case in such situations, the Andante sostenuto very much becomes the center of the work, sounding slower, just a bit darker, more moving. Third, and what distinguishes Bozhanov, he tinkers with everything on a small scale. Taking an obvious instance, his first bass trill is played slowly and fairly quietly, and then with obvious accenting as it comes to a close. The pianist's absurdly good independence of hands, and some world class microphone placement and mixing board work, allows the listener to hear a purposely unsteady accompaniment possessed of micro-dynamic variation and teeny-tiny shifts in tempo, and a melody with some of the same traits, plus an unerring surface beauty that beguiles the defenseless pianophile. True, the purposely constrained louder dynamics and more than occasional overemphasis on individual notes and arpeggios - each note more important than the immediate antecedent - does draw attention to the player and playing more than the music, but when it's this well done, that's OK. Especially when Bozhanov partly drops the act and plays the opening material again in the middle of the Molto moderato with such affecting touch and concentration. While the Andante does become the center of the work for Bozhanov, it remains constrained, ranging mostly from sad whispers to morose murmurs, never really rising to anything forceful, yet some of the playing sounds so beautiful that one cannot but agree with what the pianist aims to do. Bozhanov dispatches the Scherzo with fleet lightness in the outer sections and a somewhat elevated but not weighed-down middle section. It's really quite superb. Similarly, the pianist dispatches the Allegro ma non troppo with no little energy and panache, and a rather copious amount of surface beauty. He also cannot help but emphasize a variety of small details, especially in the left hand playing, and he loves to emphasize each note in some arpeggios a bit more than he should, but no more than the listener will enjoy. He also ups the ante a bit in terms of volume, though he never unloads. No need for that. In terms of pianism, this is some high grade Schubert. To more fully address the opening rhetorical question, Arcadi Volodos aims for something different, something more perfect, something more elevated in his Schubert recordings, and he achieves them. While both Bozhanov and Volodos can be said to focus more on the playing than the music, with Volodos, the effects are less self-conscious, the delivery more flawless, the overall conception more, well, pure. Bozhanov plays for the moment; Volodos plays for eternity.

How better to end a disc so consumed with beauty and hypnotic musical languidness than another Reger transcription, this time of the Andante sostenuto from Brahms' First? Bozhanov adds more heft to his interpretive arsenal in this piece, though it remains mostly a quiet, languid, gorgeous piece, one demonstrating how beautifully he can play, and one allowing one to appreciate Brahms' craft - and Reger's, too! - all the more. Really, the two Brahms/Reger pieces make me want to hear what Bozhanov could do if he recorded entire symphony transcriptions. A Beethoven year is just about here. Maybe he could record Beethoven's Fourth and Sixth in Liszt's transcriptions. I'd be down for that.

Sound is superb, and one gets to hear how much Bozhanov likes using the una corda pedal to achieve his effects.

Amazon UK link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07W8LHBZQ/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Reactions: PsB
I must have been good this year, or my wife was fed up of me working through the Bach 333 box set she got me last year, but I got the new Beethoven box for Christmas.

71VJt6M9sLL._SX425_.jpg

Overall the presentation doesn't match the big Bach box and there doesn't seem to have been as much thought into including comparisons of older and newer recordings, but as Beethoven hasn't really been a main part of my musical diet beyond the late string quartets I'm hoping for some enjoyable discoveries. My first surprise has been the Emperor Cantatas, which have somehow largely passed me by until now.

advertisement

Back