Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The Brilliance of Tiny Desk Concerts - any other recommendations?

Discussion in 'music' started by kjb, Nov 14, 2018.

1. kjb

kjb pfm Member

I've been reminded over the past week just what a rich and varied source of new and old music the Tiny Desk Concerts are. I think they show how dreadfully dull and tired a format Later is. Better than MTV live, spontaneous and, in the best cases, revealing new sides to the music. Watch the end of the Florence show - she's struggling to perform in front of a small audience. Not cared for before but quite like her here.

Any other fans here? There are hundreds of them - which ones others you recommend?

Some of my current faves below:

Gogopenguin

Noname

even stuff I don't like can be good

old favourites

new favourites

There are hundreds of them - which ones others you recommend?

btw - the Anderson.Paak one, which has already been shared here a few times, has 25 million views - I may have contributed a hundred or so of them. The Noname set might appeal to AP fans.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  2. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Yes been watching and liking them for years, even if it's not something I'd necessarily buy/listen to I still give most of them a listen.

Too many to list but a few I've enjoyed

Love this

I'm not really a Wyclef fan, but he seems to know his stuff and tells a good story, fun if nothing else.

3. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

Common and Heaton Henson, not together though.

4. kjb

kjb pfm Member

5. jon l

jon l pfm Member

I like this one by the Mary Halvorson quintet

6. Darkagesound

Darkagesound pfm Member

Yes, I'm a fan of these concerts. I like these:

Public Service Broadcasting

Lake Street Dive

kjb likes this.
  7. guey

guey pfm Member

off the top of my head, the Cornelius, Daniel Lanois, and Efterklang ones are superb.

8. Take5

Take5 pfm Member

I love these concerts.

here is a big favourite.... THE ROOTS

toomanydairys likes this.
  9. wylton

wylton Naim and Mana member

Well, thanks for sharing! I just watched the Public Service Broadcasting; I have some of their records and had no idea they were a duo! I love it that he's so unlike a rock-god! I'll be sure to watch some more.

10. jimbob75

jimbob75 pfm Member

kjb likes this.
  11. lordmortlock

lordmortlock A Linde Mann

Can’t talk about Tiny Desk without these guys

kjb likes this.
  12. kjb

kjb pfm Member

Loads of good stuff here: thanks and keep them coming. The Tank and The Banga one is awesome and I didn't realise either Tedeshi/ Trucks of PSB were so worth checking out.

13. Jimbobbyron

Jimbobbyron pfm Member

Tower of power

14. lordmortlock

The Mac Miller is another worth checking out. Not just a brilliant set but its become rather poignant considering has tragic passing this year. Seems like a really nice bloke, so sad

oldius and Alex N like this.
  15. lordmortlock

The softer side of Tyler. LOVE the backing vocals, they steal he show really

Alex N likes this.
  16. lordmortlock

Last one I promise. Great live arrangement on this. And I think she might just about be the most beautiful woman in the world.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    Alex N likes this.
  17. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Booyakashah, check out my avatar...

Not sure who shoe-horned more into the venue, them or:

18. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Booyakashah, check out my avatar...

A couple of others I like:

19. stefane

stefane pfm Member

The very first Tiny Desk Concert.
    Recorded on April 21, 2008.

Oregon-based folksinger Laura Gibson played her songs "Hands in Pockets", "A Good Word, an Honest Man", "Come by Storm" and "Night Watch", three of the songs from her 2006 album "If You Come To Greet Me".

After the first song you can see the show's host Bob Boilen stepping in and briefly introducing what inspired the show's concept.

tuga likes this.
  20. Take5

Take5 pfm Member

great post, Jake

love the band and the grooves they get. yes, she looks good, but i dont like her singing. i wish she would just open her mouth a bit and sing, instead of that nasal tone that she produces.