advertisement

The best thing about vinyl ...

A few months ago I would have agreed, but after the recent Elvis movie apparently the King of Rock and Roll is back. Perhaps a blip, but I would never have guessed that the grandchildren of Elvis fans might become Elvis fans themselves.

I don't agree I don't think (you could pick any of the other R&R stars to make the opposite point) but you get a like for the Star Trek references :)

Gav,

I don't agree I don't think (you could pick any of the other R&R stars to make the opposite point) but you get a like for the Star Trek references :)

That movie had a lot of Trek in the background, that's for sure. I downloaded it to a tablet so my mother, the biggest Elvis fan on Earth, could watch while while she was in the hospital this summer. She liked the movie so much she watched it three times ... which means so did I because she can't work a tablet herself.

rjsBePV.jpg

I was caught in a trap, I can't get out...

Joe

The best thing about vinyl is that it gives you a reason to go into s record shop, in this instance on a walking holiday in Malvern. Lovely people, great chat, and came across a 1954 Clifford Brown album on Verve for a tenner. Mint, utterly mint condition. Inner sleeve smells old, plays beautifully.

There are also many frustrations with vinyl, but that's life. I love it, simply love it.

I am surprised no one has said the best thing about LPs is the artwork. ( I refuse to use the term Vinyl) Also the memories in collecting it. There used to be a record shop over Eltham London in the arcade and some good cheap stuff used to turn up there. Once a record reviewer dumped all his presumably review copies there that I mostly picked up - some white labels but presumably early generation pressings but with all the art work. Good times and memories

The best thing about vinyl is that you can make really nice fruit bowls with a heat gun!!!!

Having said that I DO miss the covers, anyone remember the foldout pic of Ike the Rapper that came with Black Moses???

It's the whole experience isn't it? It's quite different from anything else in the modern world. The decision to pull out a particular album, the rigmarole (for good or bad) of putting it on then sitting down with the artwork and information on the sleeve and playing at least a side from start to finish. Looking after it properly, taking your time and taking care. The relationship is a forced one - I mean you have to do it in the right way and in the right order and so you have to want to do it and be in the right frame of mind before you start, which makes the music sound different for some reason. It may or may not be better depending on the record, the mastering, the kit and all that gubbins but it is what it is. That all makes it completely unlike streaming or even playing CDs with the stupid, unreadable booklets and broken jewel cases. I just love it and if I'm not in the mood then I do something else!

Totally agree with this. I love the ritual of playing a record -its my equivalent of a tea ceremony. Choose the record from the rack, take it out of the sleeve, put it on the turntable, give it a clean to get the dust off, a quick brush of the stylus, lower the arm, sit with the sleeve, follow the same process at the end of side 1.

I'm fine with streaming but finding a record on my phone, tapping the screen, listening - its just not the same

Given the right circumstances, vinyl can be the closest thing to the original master tape. Tapes may deteriorate, but vinyl cut when the tape was fresh is like a time capsule. The latest format or the latest mastering of an old tape will never measure up.

Totally agree with this. I love the ritual of playing a record -its my equivalent of a tea ceremony.

I guess I do this sometimes - and enjoy really focusing on the music.

But to be honest I generally play records the way I think some people turn the radio on or stream. If I'm home during the day I just stick records on and go about my day. It's just how I prefer listening to music.

I actually looked up that Postman Pat album on Discogs & it's available in at least 4 different languages, if anyone's interested...

The best thing about vinyl is how good it sounds.
And this is what I realize time after time when I get in a used record shop using a Thorens TD, an entry level integrated and some low budget speakers suspended from the ceiling..........just sound so sweet.

And this is what I realize time after time when I get in a used record shop using a Thorens TD, an entry level integrated and some low budget speakers suspended from the ceiling..........just sound so sweet.

There was a very good used vinyl shop I frequented that had a pair of Quad ESL’s hanging from the ceiling flanking the main counter supplying music for the establishment. I must have been inspired because I did the same years later when my Quads were displaced from my LR.

56AkfW4.jpeg

advertisement

Back