advertisement

The best sounding piece of kit you've ever owned (or enjoyed the most)

Like a couple of others in this thread, I’d say an Ion Obelisk 3X & X-Pac 1 is the nicest sounding amplifier I’ve had, even more so after it was recapped with some black gates on the board and some big kendeils from Les for the power supply.

My friend Jiim formerly of this parish also suggested direct wiring the cd input to the board to bypass the switches and various other layout tweaks that made significant improvements.

It was so clean and pure yet bouncy, powerful and darkly quiet. I miss it lots.

Myst TMA 3 - Fully intended to buy the then new and incredibly well reviewed Nait 1 or Audiolab 8000a but walked out about an hour later with an anonymous piece of small blue magic and the biggest smile. From a time before minimalist.

Same here although my list consisted of just the Naim. I still have the Myst and mine is black. I have the matching tuner too :)

Harman Kardon HD990 amplifier. Always thought it would go wrong though, and it did. Had new power amp section after 18 months of ownership. Sounded bloody marvelous and the built in DAC was goody. EBay in the end and went to Slovakia. Hope its still giving good service.

Sony CDP-555ESD.

Simply oozes quality and unless I find a CDP-R1 and DAS-R1 it'll be the end game for me as far as redbook replay goes.

Other honerable mentions go to: TD125mk2 with SME3009, Leak Stereo 20, Tannoy Ardens and Creek CAS4040 S2.

I have liked and enjoyed just about every bit of kit I've had over the years, but for the sake of simplicity, and not mentioning the bits and bobs that surround these few pieces to make up the system:

Naim Nait-Always just loved the little bugger. I often think of buying another one, but it would probably just be sitting idle at this juncture.

Croft Micro 25 pre/Series 7 amp-I still have these and use them, simple to the max, and so lovely and enjoyable.

Nothing like a few reasonably priced pieces of kit that bring so much for so little in the grand scheme of things.

KEF Reference 201/2
These are probably the 'best' speakers I have owned, superb is pretty much every regard. They have the best compromise of bass response/depth, overall size, easy placement, great imaging and smooth & integrated mid/treble. For standmounts they also go loud without strain but they do need a decent amp to get the best out of them. In terms of High Fidelity, these are pretty much all you could ask for in a small to medium room IMO.
My 'favourite' small speaker has to be the ATC SCM10, not sure why but in a small room, just something that clicked with me. They don't have the bass depth or outright dynamics of the KEFs but still great integration between the drive units and just do pretty much everything else right.

Fully agree since I bought these urge to change speakers has gone , I have mine on dedicated stands filled with Atabites .

Teddy PR1 preamp - after decades of Naim, Teddy showed me a new way to listen to music
ALO Continental Dual Mono headphone amp - My first valve/tube product. Makes my Hugo 2 Focal Utopia setup come alive

I just picked up a Chord M Scaler so must add it to the list

... and Musical Fidelity Synthesis, several Perreaux models and no doubt many more... certainly several pro amps and guitar amps.
But NOT most of Hitachi's own designs, which used a more complex topology.

My Best Man bought a Synthesis, with a CD player ( no idea which) and it sounded quite nice. Not as good as my LP12/Ittok/Trak, 42/110, MA552s. Even persuaded me to buy a few albums but it blew up, I felt bad for introducing him to lesser known UK Hi-Fi.
Perhaps that was Hitachi on the cheap?

This whole thread should be renamed as “random gear I’ve somehow become emotionally committed to” because it’s certainly got nothing to do with ‘the best’, unless the majority of the contributors have been living in a rabbit hole!

advertisement

Back