advertisement

The best sounding piece of kit you've ever owned (or enjoyed the most)

It was 1878, and I guess I must have been 5 or so at the time when I heard my first Edison and couldn’t believe my ears. Bright Side of Clair de Lune never sounded so good. I was truly hooked after that moment.

Started collecting wax cylinders for many years much to the chagrin of my parents. By 1912, the phonograph came along promising a sizeable uplift in quality and superior dynamics but to me it sounded glassy and digital. No matter what you say, I trust my ears. Please don’t quote measurements and the technical superiority of records to me - wax on cardboard cylinders is the most natural analogue PRATTY toe-tapping skirt-lifting David vs Goliath moment of my audiophile life. Got married, kids came along and hit a bit of bad luck in 1929 after investing my life savings in a chicken-feed blue chip startup on Wall Street.

After much to and fro-ing and the introduction of polyvinyl chloride records with all their subjective audible jitter problems, many many hours spent positioning my mono speaker to get the best mono soundstage, I’ve gone back to the ole faithful wax on cylinder. Don’t get me started on stereo records, capacitors, tubes and vinyl - thanks, but no thanks!!

I've just moved from 3x linn lk100 amps to a linn majik 6100. Finding it amazing, been missing so much all these years.
Then swapped the marantz cd6006 for the UK version. A revelation.
I really am settled wih my system now, honest. Dont think I can better it now, without spending an awul lot of money.
I have kabers with 3 x lk100s and I have just started picking some Klouts up, as an upgrade, does the 6100 work with the Kaber active cards? Did not consider a later linn amp to work with the kaber

Sony Walkman DD3 with Sennheiser HD 440 headphones, a long bus journey and some gorgeous New Zealand scenery

Twas shortlived though - left the headphones plugged in too many times whilst it was in my bag and it snapped the circuit board

oh man, reminds me of my 7 mile commute through Manchester, England in the early 90’s on the No.50 bus although I doubt the window scenery was a patch on yours. Had several portable ‘Walkman’ type players during this time and generally, the Sonys were the best. Had an Aiwa for a bit that played obviously slow. Loved that part of my life, a proper ritual on that bus was undertaken. Get upstairs, offside top deck seat, headphones on and transported to an alternate existence.

Sorry I can’t be more specific with the hardware in use, just having a nostalgic moment ☺️

I thought it was a Sonneteer Campion, but now I remember I also had a Sonneteer Alabaster briefly. (suffered from transformer hum, hence the sale within a week or 2) Combined with Penaudio Charisma speakers. (still don't recall why I was so stupid to sell them! Even the guy I bought them from (s/h) asked me if I could be tempted to sell them back to him again, shortly after I had already sold them!)

When placed properly (well away from back/side walls) they completely dissapeared, leaving a wide spacious soundstage, with pinpoint imaging and very impressive dynamics!

I much enjoy what I have now but a past system I rember enjoying a lot and which I regretted selling for a long time was an Eikos CD player, Audio Innovation S500 amplifier and Ruark Sabre speakers. Nothing elaborate but it just sounded right.

Not sure if I'd feel the same about it today. It was a long time ago but it's probably the one missed most. A divorce meant it went.

It would be possible to recreate 2/3 of it cheaply today but the amplifier sells for considerably more today than what I paid (or sold it for) 25 years or so ago.

I really enjoyed my Kralk Audio BC-30 bookshelf speakers for around 6 years as part of a bass-lite high-boogie neighbour-friendly system. They were like Kans but just not squawky. They're now in my bedroom working their magic in there having been displaced by my Tannoys, which aren't neighbour-friendly in the least. But the Tannoys sound incredible so there's no going back to the BC-30s.

My Sennheiser HD650s deserve a mention as well. With the right headphone amplifier they really are great cans and as long I don't break them or whatever, my trusty pair will see me out :)

I totally expect my LP12 (pre-Cirkus bearing; Stack Audio Tenor subchassis and top plate; Rega RB300 tonearm, rewired by Johnnie at Audio Origami, tungsten counterweight; Rega Exact cart; Norton Airpower power supply, DIY) to see me out as well and the same goes for my Technics 1210GR, bedroom and living room turntables respectively.

I thought it was a Sonneteer Campion, but now I remember I also had a Sonneteer Alabaster briefly. (suffered from transformer hum, hence the sale within a week or 2) Combined with Penaudio Charisma speakers. (still don't recall why I was so stupid to sell them! Even the guy I bought them from (s/h) asked me if I could be tempted to sell them back to him again, shortly after I had already sold them!)

When placed properly (well away from back/side walls) they completely dissapeared, leaving a wide spacious soundstage, with pinpoint imaging and very impressive dynamics!

Those Penaudio speakers looked stunning in the photos you posted too.

Cheers BB

I would have thought you'd mention the Nait2 Alco, as I remember you loved it pretty much before the Sonneteer! What is your current setup? I sold all my gear this year and now play with a humble UQ2 and Monitor Audio Studio 2's. It's remarkable how much fun can be had for peanuts!

I would have thought you'd mention the Nait2 Alco, as I remember you loved it pretty much before the Sonneteer!
Hi Bas, I did mention the Nait 2. (5th post, on page 17 of this topic) :D

Ah the UQ2, nice! The UQ1 with Penaudio Rebel 3's was my previous system from around 2015 till 2017. Sounded pretty amazing to me!
(only reason for me the sell the UQ in 2017 was that it suffered from network communication problems regularly. (a few times a week. Never/rarely had that with Sonos or nowadays with Bluesound) Yes, (despite the network problems I experienced with the UQ) to me the UQ1 and 2 were/are one of Naim's best VFM products. :)

What is your current setup ?
I've been without any HiFi system, between may 2017 and may this year, for several reasons.
My current system is also quite humble and simple. A Rega IO, Bluesound Node N130 and Dali Oberon 1's on Solidsteel SS-6 stands.

https://tomtomaudio.co.uk/flat-earth-audio/

The ‘flat–earthers’ of the 1970s, as Naim’s customers became known, were a new audio community more concerned with notes than with measurements, emotion rather than location. Their systems could play in time, maintaining the fundamental structure of the musical performance whilst actually holding a tune. Rather than needing to know exactly where the musicians were standing on the stage, they were more concerned with experiencing the passion that drove them to get up there in the first place. That spirit lives on amongst Naim owners today who have no need to justify their systems using tired ‘Hi–Fi’ criteria. Naim rigs actually groove, connecting on a truly emotional level, offering both vibe and drama—words that real people might actually use to describe real music.

We have established the Flat Earth Audio Foundation to carry a torch for the ideals of the Flat Earth Audio movement. The principals established by these maverick designers in 1973 are as relevant today as they always were, and we employ them every day when selecting and setting up ideal audio systems for our customers. As well as the material below, we have built the most extensive collection of classic Flat Earth Audio products which you can experience when you visit us.​

I've had a NAC62 and NAP140 since the mid 80s then a HiCap 3 years ago. All serviced last year.
Never really understood what all the fuss was with PRaT etc but still enjoyed my Naim rig.

3 months ago I got a WitchHat Dragon Newt for the HiCap and recently an Avondale SE200 for the 140.

Now I understand what notes and emotion in music mean and maintaining the fundamental structure
of the musical performance whilst actually holding a tune, at the same time experiencing the passion.
And honestly, for the first time connecting on a truly emotional level.

Funny old world! Just saying!

I've had a NAC62 and NAP140 since the mid 80s then a HiCap 3 years ago. All serviced last year.
Never really understood what all the fuss was with PRaT etc but still enjoyed my Naim rig.

3 months ago I got a WitchHat Dragon Newt for the HiCap and recently an Avondale SE200 for the 140.

Now I understand what notes and emotion in music mean and maintaining the fundamental structure
of the musical performance whilst actually holding a tune, at the same time experiencing the passion.
And honestly, for the first time connecting on a truly emotional level.

Funny old world! Just saying!
Welcome to the vintage Naim tweaker’s club !

Sony CDP-555ESD.

Simply oozes quality and unless I find a CDP-R1 and DAS-R1 it'll be the end game for me as far as redbook replay goes.

Other honourable mentions go to: TD125mk2 with SME3009, Leak Stereo 20, Tannoy Ardens and Creek CAS4040 S2.

Edit:
I still have the CDP-555ESD but it did eventually get usurped by a Marantz CD12 + DA12. These really are the Redbook format end game for me!

I've grown to be even more in love with the Leak Stereo 20. Partnered with the Ardens it's simply sublime. I have a Radford STA25 too but if I was forced to choose one at gunpoint it'd be the Leak.

The little Creek is still doing its business in my dining room system. A little cracker of an amp.

New Year honourable mentions for:

Music First Audio Classis V2
Thorens TD124
EAR834P clone phone stage

The ones I look back on with fondness, some of them certainly weren’t the most costly in no particular order:-

Leak point one/ TL12, Goodmans coaxial, Goldring deck - first system at age 14 bought for a few quid.

Audio Research D76. Wasn’t reliable but could sound amazing.

Alphason Sonata. Still delicious though hardly used now. They only deck I hung onto.

Rega ELA mk1 for once the critics were right. Unfussy, easy to drive and extremely enjoyable.

Tannoy Westminster HE. Collected from a chap in Wales who might have been the biggest HiFi nut I’ve ever met - never seen so much gear in a house. Took three of us to shift them. Sadly had to go when I moved. A chap drove from Portugal to pick them up and they JUST fitted in his van. I remember this vividly as he stayed a couple of days. At the time I was taking flying lessons and took him up with the instructor. About a minute after take off we had the engine splutter, lost partial power and had to make an emergency landing. I thought he had taken it quite well as he was very quiet - until we realised he was in shock and was holding on to the seat like grim death..

ProAc Response 2.5. Can sound gorgeous, it’s become a bit cliched ProAc/valve amps but in this case it was true. A brilliant confection though won’t play loud and bass can be too much in the wrong room.

VTL amps with the right valves - do it all amps, proper solid bass, realistic mids and huge soundstage. Much better than ARC for me.

Audio Innovations 2nds. Triode gorgeousness on steroids.

EE Minimax Pre - no wonder you don’t see them up for sale much. A real giant killer in a dinky package.

Django TVC - replaced a high spec Khuzmo and it was a case of 10 seconds into a song a no brainier. Instant convert.

Elite MC cartridge bought for £ 40 sounded fantastic until a particularly raucous party abruptly killed it.

some best sounding kit was verity audio rienzi which i stupidly sold to pay a bill
martin logan summit x [ banned by swmbo]
rfc impulse taus
audio ref 5se .... even my wife didnt want me to sell that one !!!

advertisement

Back