Votes: 0 0.0%
  • trumpet

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • piano

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • saxophone

Votes: 19 63.3%

• Total voters
Guitar ? Depends. Lee Ritenour's output is so terrible he might be the reason why many people deeply hate jazz guitar. Django on the other hand ...

Lee Ritenour's output is so terrible he might be the reason why many people deeply hate jazz guitar.
...coming here soon. There are so many Jazz guitar players, why choose Rit? A close associate would be Larry Carlton but I don't know if either of these would strictly fall in the desciption of Jazz, whatever that is.

How about Joe Pass as another suggestion of John McLaughlan, he definitely has Jazz credentials, although not entirely my cup of tea.

I guess though that, numerically, the answer would have to be a horn, probably the sax.

[BEST - needs definition, JAZZ - needs definition]

It's not a proper poll without bass and drums-the basic jazz combo is piano,bass,drums,anything else is just a bonus.

Had to go for the sax because that is what John Coltrane played and is therefore the correct answer [now Ian gives me a cookie and says "good pavlov, down boy"]

But as bub doesn't seem to be about - please add vibraphone. Milt Jackson is his alsolute hero and he'll be very upset if he doesn't get to vote

Agree with Ribee (bout the sax and Coltrane). Thing is, once Coltrane's playing and tone have ingrained themselves in your mind, ever other saxophone soloist can kindly get their cleaning paraphernalia out, disassemble their "horn" and put it away forever. Thank you.

I think i`ve overdosed on Miles and Coltrane`s, er, enlightened period still gives me difficulties. So it`s Monk and Jarrett for me.

aren't the coltrane fans being a little rigid in their thinking? is historical perspective out the window in jazz? i imagine if a time machine swapped him and coleman hawkins, you'd be going on about a different guy. the equivalent in classical would be to say that once you;ve heard beethoven, you might as well forget about mozart and haydn and bach and monteverdi...

anyhow, i voted for trumpet, even though it became less fashionable once the noodlers firmly took over jazz. armstrong, davis and even gillespie (for the noodle eaters).

vuk.

I would vote for trumpet if you renamed the option 'cornet'. Louis Armstrong's 'Hot Fives and Sevens' stuff is great.

It's either bass or drums.
Or maybe guitar.
Trumpets, saxophones and brass just sound like someone farting, with various degrees of constriction.

advertisement

Back