advertisement

The best audio system on earth?

Personally, I’m still sad that no-one has been able to tell me what the system comprised, apart from Wadax digital thingies and Shunyata cables, obviously!

Personally, I’m still sad that no-one has been able to tell me what the system comprised, apart from Wadax digital thingies and Shunyata cables, obviously!

Streamer - £230k (Wadax Reference Server - £55k, Wadax Reference Power Supply - £42k, Wadax Reference DAC - £133k)
Pre amplifier - £50k (Engstrom Monica)
Power amplifiers - £142k (Engstrom Eric)
Speakers - £64k (Kroma Matilde)

C

Streamer - £230k (Wadax Reference Server - £55k, Wadax Reference Power Supply - £42k, Wadax Reference DAC - £133k)
Pre amplifier - £50k (Engstrom Monica)
Power amplifiers - £142k (Engstrom Eric)
Speakers - £64k (Kroma Matilde)

C
Wot about the big egg timers?
(Oops, different system but what in tarnation are they??)

As above, though the standmounts which obviously made an impression are the new Kroma Macbeth starting at £24K plus stands

The bit where absolutely everything makes a difference isn't true. I do develop products, it's part of my job. I do it by science and yes, I do use incremental improvements. Only yesterday I was talking a group through a root cause analysis, 5 whys etc. to determine what caused an incident here. Part of that is dismissing the stuff that is just incidental, such as the colour of lacquer used on a bike frame. You talk about F1. An F1 car doesn't use special cables, it uses normal copper, it's reasonable to assume that's because they have looked at the possibility of using them, determined that there is no benefit and moved on. If a hifi needs them, then we need to understand why. You're making the assumption that everything has been considered and measured as making a benefit, and that there's nothing that's just there. I'm saying that I doubt it, there's some stuff that's in there because it's expected by the consumer base. It's marketing driven. F1 cars and racing bicycles have to look pretty. Hifi has to have similar.
I'm amazed we still appear to be having a discussion about the sound of cables, or not, as in the case here. I thought this was all put to bed back in the 1980s when Hitachi came out with the LC-OCC copper cable and every one was raving about how good it was over and above QED 79 strand. I remember all too well visiting HiFi_Dave back in the early 1980s and he had just had a visit from Bé Yamamura who had, with his audio connections in Japan, got Furukawa Electric Co, a massive industrial cable company, to make a very high spec microphone cable with OCC Litz wire and special insulation. HiFi_Dave was going nuts about how good this cable was. Still anything that Bé did was good. I borrowed some of the cable and also heard how good it was. I was just about to order a Helius Orion tonearm through HiFi_Dave and we managed to get it made with Bé's cable for the tonearm arm lead. The tonearm and the cable was amazing and it is still a very good cable today. If HiFi_Dave is on here I am sure he might comment on Bé's blue cable...

I also believe LC-OCC and PC-OCC cable was developed for special applications where high conductivity was required with lower resistivity over long cable lengths. I also know the added value you can make to a piece of audio equipment when internally wiring it with different conductors. For example the difference between an amplifier internally wired with copper cable and one wired with pure silver is very easy to hear the difference. I have also A/B'ed MC transformers with copper internal wire and silver internal wire. It is also very easy to hear the difference. Which is preferred? Well that is not for this thread...

Wadex digital, Brinkmann turntable, Engström electronics, Kroma Atelier (Matilde & MacBeth) loudspeakers, Shunyata cables and Bassocontinuo equipment stands Adam

In the absence of evidence, you can't make extraordinary claims.
Nobody can prove a negative. I can't prove the absence of a god.
You seem to be suggesting that you could prove the presence of a god. Brave!
If you’re not, then nobody can prove a positive either. Which might suggest that nobody can prove anything.

Which might mean we have to somehow muddle along with opinions and experiences and other subjective stuff, and acknowledge that not everything which matters comes with a published, peer-reviewed evidence base. And perhaps try to hold our own opinions lightly.

Tough gig, this life-in-community-with-others thing. Still, at least here on this forum we can relax into the reassuring comfort of a shared interest in which we can enthuse about stuff which few outside the forum would understand. Let joy be unbounded.

Which might mean we have to somehow muddle along with opinions and experiences and other subjective stuff, and acknowledge that not everything which matters comes with a published, peer-reviewed evidence base. And perhaps try to hold our own opinions lightly.
I am glad that those who design bridges, skyscrapers, aeroplanes and the like do not try this approach!

I am glad that those who design bridges, skyscrapers, aeroplanes and the like do not try this approach!
Did you find a flaw in my exposition of @stevec67 ‘s logic?

Separately, I can think of at least one aeroplane which may well have been designed by appropriately qualified scientists and rigorously tested by those who rigorously test.. yet still failed in service. Humility has a place even in science-centric enterprises.

Did you find a flaw in my exposition of @stevec67 ‘s logic?

Separately, I can think of at least one aeroplane which may well have been designed by appropriately qualified scientists and rigorously tested by those who rigorously test.. yet still failed in service. Humility has a place even in science-centric enterprises.
Well I certainly do. Try reading your post again.

Yes, annealed long grain boundary copper can be made with a conductivity of 103% the iacs standard. You could get this by increasing the csa by a similar amount.but don't bend it....

advertisement

Back