advertisement

The best audio system on earth?

People have commented on the expensive cables but surely blingy cables are mandatory on systems like this? If they ran the system with bell wire and the included mains cable from a low cost device that is the first thing people would comment on. What would be interesting would be cabling up that Boyer system with sensibly priced cables and see if anyone noticed.

And that system in post 18 doesn't appear to have cables at all, the right hand fridge thingy looks to be completely wireless.

That Bowyer room in the vid looks like an ideal room for any great system! I was expecting a usual hotel bedroom, and in that dire situation I would read the praise with great interest, but the room the bowyer system looks perfect for hi fidelity, so possibly an unfair comparison if you went from a stripped out bedroom into there blindfolded.

As mentioned by others you have no valid reason to assert this. I may as well assert that Red Bull’s F1 car is fast because there’s a picture of a bull on it. This is not to say that these things definitely don’t matter, just that your experience here is not enough to assert that they do. You’d need to replace these components and listen again (preferably in some kind of “blind” testing).
Exactly, IMHO. And a thing to factor into any realistic evaluation is that the salesman doing the demo will know his/her customers. In the cause of making sales they will be shown what they expect to see, regardless of whether it makes a positive impact or no impact at all.

This was "Audio Show Deluxe" after all. If customers for "deluxe audio" (even if a little less deluxe in reality) mostly think that pythons are so last year and that it has to be anacondas, then anacondas will be shown.

I thought the Boyer room demo was good but I thought at least one other room did a better demo. It had its fair share of anacondas too.

And that system in post 18 doesn't appear to have cables at all, the right hand fridge thingy looks to be completely wireless.

The people next door have bought a system costing around £30K -- I forget the name of the components.. But the one thing about it I envy is that you can't see any cables at all. Everything hidden by a wall covered in fabric. That is something I would like (though he has his speakers -- which have maybe 6 drivers each and a cabinet made of concrete) tight up against the wall and the amp (something made by someone called Dan Dagostino) in a drawer.

Sounds fine when he uses it for the sound on the telly, or plays very loud rock music at 2 in the morning when we're all out of our heads.

As mentioned by others you have no valid reason to assert this
Not sure if you read my post:

I simply want to highlight some cold hard facts of what were in that system, that may (or may not) have led to it being the best audio system on earth. How much influence each aspect had on the sound, remains to be seen
So, I'm pretty sure we agree.

But if anyone at Boyer Audio is reading this and wants to let me borrow the system for a few weeks to check on each component's influence on the sound, I'd be happy to oblige and report back :)

IMG_0640-1-e1711382062492.jpeg

Not the best system on earth, but no two ways about it, the Boyer room was very good. I suspect that was the £1M system the show organisers were talking about. I believe the 2 box Wadax Music Server and the 2 box Wadax DAC were over £200K each, so this room was easily a £1M system.

Another room that was also very good was the Symmetry room with Brinkmann and the top of the line Sonos Fabers playing direct cut vinyl from Mike Valentine's Chasing the Dragon Record label. Apparently Brinkmann was there on Sunday giving a talk. As for the rest, well they clearly have a very different idea of what real music sounds like than I do. The sad thing is Linn were in a completely different league of poor to the rest exhibiting there, with the possible exception of the Scandinavian room. So for me, there were only 2 rooms at the show playing music, the two I have mentioned above...

Funny you say that, the 'House of Linn' system sounded pretty good to me.

...but they were using ATC speakers 😆

(a bit of a sorry indictment of Linn speakers really)
I was listening to the Boyer room in that video and I thought the next room, Linn, sounded good. Then I realised it was House of Linn. The actual Linn room sounded dreadful I’m told.

Not sure if you read my post:

So, I'm pretty sure we agree.

But if anyone at Boyer Audio is reading this and wants to let me borrow the system for a few weeks to check on each component's influence on the sound, I'd be happy to oblige and report back :)
Yes, I read your post in full. I was reacting to:

“…these are the main take-aways from my own observations:

- Cables matter…
- Power distribution matters…”

But anyway, glad to accept that the comment you point to now is more open-minded in nature :)

Not the best system on earth, but no two ways about it, the Boyer room was very good. I suspect that was the £1M system the show organisers were talking about. I believe the 2 box Wadax Music Server and the 2 box Wadax DAC were over £200K each, so this room was easily a £1M system.
I believe the £1m system was the one in the Audio Group Denmark room.

Lots of numbers flying around, but I don't think the Boyer system was a million squids-worth. Closer to half I believe. But who's counting.

What was interesting though, was the percentage of the budget used for each component. Not sure there would be many people at home spending less on their speakers than the cables sticking out of them, but that was exactly what was happening in the Boyer Room while the £24k Kroma Atelier stand-mounts were hooked-up.

As an aside, what I did find very interesting was how small the overall difference was between the stand-mounts and the big floor-standers, having heard a few tracks on both. I have always been led to believe that speakers make the biggest difference of any component, but certainly not here, notwithstanding that the same drivers were being used here, just in different-sized cabinets.

The Boyer room was equally as good last year.

That time they used the same power amps, pre.
Cables.
Same make of speakers.
But the front end was very different, taiko streamer and vitus masterpiece dac.

Once again streaming it all

@karlsushi Not too sure if it was the best audio system, let's not forget they weren't even using Kroma's flagship reference speakers, but we were mightily impressed with the sound of this system, especially with the standmounts and I believe the integrated amp at £30k. Couldn't believe the width and depth of the soundstage with these mini masterpieces, the bass wasn't bad either. I would love to know which of the components was responsible for producing such a fabulous soundstage or if it was just synergy.

The Boyer room was equally as good last year.

That time they used the same power amps, pre.
Cables.
Same make of speakers.
But the front end was very different, taiko streamer and vitus masterpiece dac.

Once again streaming it all
Should have used a wiim pro and an RME DAC. That's all you need. Allegedly.

advertisement

Back