advertisement

The Archers

The Archers is garbage. I usually switch over as they announce it. I listened the the episode today because there had been a news item on the possible murder, I was busy on the computer and didnt reach for the remote.

I just felt like laughing through it.

I dont understand why people like it because its like the crossroads of Radio 4. Other Radio 4 plays are so much better and show up the archers as the lame joke it is

I used to feel like that about it, and I have no time at all for most soaps.

Perhaps I'm just getting old, but I will go out of my way to listen to it now, especially the Sunday omnibus. The sheer longevity of it, the life of a community, etc, seem like quite big draws to me.

Perhaps I'm just getting old, but I will go out of my way to listen to it now, especially the Sunday omnibus. The sheer longevity of it, the life of a community, etc, seem like quite big draws to me.

My wife brain washed me. I did not listen for the first 30 or so years, but over the last 8 years I have started to listen. If I missed a few shows I would not bother with catch-up.

There are some benefits, a few times I have miss fed her info about the Archers, especially if she has been at a meeting or at the theatre ,

Bloss

Two bars of that theme music and a Pavlovian conditioned reflex has my hand reaching for whatever actuator will terminate the experience. Only Coronation St. works faster.

Two bars of that theme music and a Pavlovian conditioned reflex has my hand reaching for whatever actuator will terminate the experience. Only Coronation St. works faster.

Now that is a nasty, dreary piece of music. Always made me dive for cover that one.

Breaking: Rob not dead.

What leads to me this conclusion:

Poor Henwy told: "Daddy's in hospital where people are making him better."
Use of tense: "Rob operates..." NB not operated.
Language in police station: no mention of "murder" or "manslaughter."

Yes, all a little circumstantial and probably a pathetic device to keep saddos like me glued to their radios.

I really must get out more.

Rob will croak on Friday - just my prediction.

I gave up listening when David pushed Nigel off the roof but on here it`s like the radio is still on.

I gave up listening when David pushed Nigel off the roof but on here it`s like the radio is still on.

Pushed??? Steady on old chap.

I rather liked all the Radio 4 listeners who analysed the length of the scream and deduced that it was incorrect for the size of fall / likely height of a stately home of that era etc and wrote in...

Now that is a nasty, dreary piece of music. Always made me dive for cover that one.

I profoundly disagree with this personally. There is nothing more evocative for me than the Coronation St music or the Archers, symptomatic perhaps of a northern working class family who moved south, and then a long, long way abroad in the seventies.

Nothing to so with the dramatic virtues of either, just sheet Proustian stuff.

Yet...

When I was still a wet behind the ears rookie Careers Adviser in the late 1980s and probably hadn't heard an episode of the Archers since:

"It's Gryayce, she's dyead",....

.....my line manager was a member of a choir in St Helens, Merseyside.

Despite having zero culturally or socio-economically in common with that strange mix of yokel and poncy southern middle class twit, the choir were selected to perform as 'The Ambridge Choir' for a Christmas episode.

It's all a sham I tell you!!

Mull

advertisement

Back