advertisement

The (almost) bi-polar nature of Naim's products and customers . . .

I think the Naim would go nicely with those Wharfedales. From memory of those speakers they should compliment each other nicely.

Last edited:
I think the Naim would go nicely with those Wharfedales. From memory of the those speakers they should compliment each other nicely.
The 250DR certainly kicks them up the proverbials.
The price differential is quite astounding I will concede.

My wierd system is a Thorens 166 / OC9 into modded 72 into 250DR into Wharfedale 505.2.
I enjoy the hell out of it, so whether the Naim is an overpriced con, as some would have us believe, doesn't really bother me.
That's a nicely balanced system you have there. Kind of a sweet spot system. I used to like the 72 , remember when it came out. I had 62, bit colder and less refined than 72.
I think matching older pre, with modern power amp is a creative way of getting very good sound quality without over spending.
I like the Supernait as well, and feel it offers a lot for the price.
I was wondering what power supply you are using for your 250DR.

Recently got a Supernait 3 because it sounds better to me than the several others I demoed in the price range, and better than the Accuphase I had before it. I think it’s a great value. I listen to music more often now and enjoy it more with the Naim. It’s just Hi-Fi gear. You listen and pick what you enjoy.

These threads are so weird.
I could very happily live with the Supernait and build a system around it. No need to go any further.

That's a nicely balanced system you have there...
I was wondering what power supply you are using for your 250DR.

The 72 (with RSL replacement boards) is powered by a TPR4 'd Hicap. Its better than a 282 to my ears.
The 505.2' s are surprisingly refined for the price of a round of drinks and are well matched to the Naim amp.

The 72 (with RSL replacement boards) is powered by a TPR4 'd Hicap. Its better than a 282 to my ears.
Yes, I only found out about this as an alternative way of upgrading a naim pre amp by reading on this forum. Heard it said that it betters 252 as well. That's a lot of pound note's saved....

The 505.2' s are surprisingly refined for the price of a round of drinks and are well matched to the Naim amp.

Do you know if the results would be similar with a NAC 32.5 instead of the 72 with the same Hicap and amp ?

Naim dealers really don't help the view of the brand in a lot of way. For instance a dealer I went to recently was somewhat shocked when I said that I didn't want to hear the Naim system he was pushing my way and when I pointed out that I was not a fan of the house sound, he pointed out that I must have a hearing problem as you couldn't get better in a thoroughly rude manner. Suffice to say, I walked our shortly thereafter and won't be returning any time soon. It is worth nothing that this is not the first time I have experienced this sort of reaction from Naim dealers, although not quite as rude previously.
I thought the sneering hifi dealer went out of fashion once the 21st century rolled round. It was currency in the 80s and 90s, A dealer once saw me walk away from a Gyrodec in about 1995 when he asked what I was using at present and told me that "If you only have a Rega 2 then you probably won't appreciate the Gyro, it's too big a step". I was ready to buy and I had the money ready to go. I had several dealers rubbishing my Quad 33-303. Instead of saying "Yes, lovely amp the 33-303, or it was in its day, of course things have moved on a great deal since then, what you need is to listen to..." they opted for "Why are you messing around whit THAT old thing?" which ensured my withdrawal of custom and reply "because it's better than anything I've seen in your shop".

I thought the sneering hifi dealer went out of fashion once the 21st century rolled round. It was currency in the 80s and 90s, A dealer once saw me walk away from a Gyrodec in about 1995 when he asked what I was using at present and told me that "If you only have a Rega 2 then you probably won't appreciate the Gyro, it's too big a step". I was ready to buy and I had the money ready to go. I had several dealers rubbishing my Quad 33-303. Instead of saying "Yes, lovely amp the 33-303, or it was in its day, of course things have moved on a great deal since then, what you need is to listen to..." they opted for "Why are you messing around whit THAT old thing?" which ensured my withdrawal of custom and reply "because it's better than anything I've seen in your shop".

Quite agree that this sort of behaviour has reduced but it’s still evident with a select few not so desirable dealers.

Do you know if the results would be similar with a NAC 32.5 instead of the 72 with the same Hicap and amp ?
You can fit the same cards to a 32.5. I'm not sure if all else is equal to the 72 though. There are some here more au fait with the differences in Naim pre's. Or contact Kit Ryan on the Ryan Sound Labs site. I've found him very helpful and his after sales service excellent.

During the time that I used to own Naim kit, the attitude of some dealers, the company via it's forum, and the myriad OCD fanboy / flat earth cultists was the most off putting aspect of the whole ownership experience.

The kit itself was very good and I enjoyed my time with it; however the hype and general condescending BS about it, was often downright offensive.

Disappointing to hear that it still goes on - albeit some attitudes die hard I guess.

Why would you expect anything different. If they’re desperate to sell then they will come out with that type of sneering approach. The good thing is that once you see this you know that they are snarks and you can dismiss them from your list of potential dealers who would be very lucky yo have your custom. I went to a place in South Yorks. a few years ago and their banter made me feel very uncomfortable.Not a good luck really and very lacking in self awareness.

I get the point about dealers I have seen both sides over the years.
My first attempt at a system I could not praise the dealer highly enough. As I was on a tight budget he recommended a used amp he managed to source a Rotel RA-820 he hooked up a pair of little tannoy 603s and a Rotel CD. Sounded great to me. Got even better when he offered a discount on the tannoys(they were new) and the amp together and recommend I look at mail order for cd player as he couldn't do a Rotel player in budget. Gave me a few models to look for and offered sale or return if I didn't like the amp or speakers when I got them home. Got an ex demo rotel cd 9** can't mind what one exactly but was very happy and kept it for years. That was the late 90s tho!
Fast forward 15 years and attitudes change how an AAA5 cd into 72/140 epos es 11 was ok in its day but you really must update to blah blah and offered insulting trade in values.
In the end I never went back to the 2 big dealers in my area and tend to do my own thing. Gave up on new and demo stuff and tend to look for used stuff if I like it I keep it if I don't I sell it on. I find using in my own home at my own pace much more relaxing. Not saying all dealers are bad but yes the push from naim dealers to constantly update and spend became tiring and the dismissive attitude of stuff they had championed as world beaters not that long before.
Thankfully I think the industry has changed and undoubtedly the internet has taken away the stranglehold once enjoyed.
I get Naim and Linn might not have survived if they had continued to make reasonable priced but high quality kit but I for one might have updated if I felt it offered the same value for money and that engaging pace and punch.
Sadly I could never own the new stuff way out of my price range and I don't like it that much tbh. But I still enjoy the odd good value used kit for me that is where naim and a few others make sense

I assume that was in Leeds?

I rang a Leeds dealer up for a demo of a Naim CD5 about 15-20 years ago. I told him I would bring my Arcam Alpha+ for a comparison.
I actually took my Campbridage Audio CD2 instead and when I got there he said (in a disgusted tone):
"You can't expect a CD5 to beat that!! I thought you were bringing an Arcam CDP"
I said that yes, I did expect a modern (at the time) and highly reviewed £1K machine to beat an ancient £600 one, especially as it had the famous Naim badge.

He was absolutely right!
Funny thing is that I strongly suspect that the Acram would have been much better than the CD5 as well.

By way of contrast. Audio Projects in Leeds just sent me home with a Linn Genki and Ikemi under each arm.

Some years later I went into the 1st dealer to ask about small speakers for my kitchen. I think the dealer must have remembered me (for the temerity of taking a decent CDP for a comparison) and he tried his hardest to blank me.
I won't be recommending anyone to visit Audio Republic.

I assume that was in Leeds?

I rang a Leeds dealer up for a demo of a Naim CD5 about 15-20 years ago. I told him I would bring my Arcam Alpha+ for a comparison.
I actually took my Campbridage Audio CD2 instead and when I got there he said (in a disgusted tone):
"You can't expect a CD5 to beat that!! I thought you were bringing an Arcam CDP"
I said that yes, I did expect a modern (at the time) and highly reviewed £1K machine to beat an ancient £600 one, especially as it had the famous Naim badge.

He was absolutely right!
Funny thing is that I strongly suspect that the Acram would have been much better than the CD5 as well.

By way of contrast. Audio Projects in Leeds just sent me home with a Linn Genki and Ikemi under each arm.

Some years later I went into the 1st dealer to ask about small speakers for my kitchen. I think the dealer must have remembered me (for the temerity of taking a decent CDP for a comparison) and he tried his hardest to blank me.
I won't be recommending anyone to visit Audio Republic.
I thought you meant the dealer that was on the X roads by Salvo's restaurant.
I don't bother with AR any more after I asked them to get in some phono stages for me to listen to. A month went by, no phone call, I went in to have a chat, not interested, as I left a guy appeared literally panting with anticipation, he'd bought a Naim NAC/NAP whatever last week, it was amazing, he wanted to have a look at power supplies. He was literally drooling, I was envious because I seldom get THAT excited over anything this side of a young woman saying "It's your lucky day, why don't you come round to my place?" Yes that is a rare event. However it spelt out why AR weren't interested in selling me a £500 phono stage that they would have to get in on trial.
The Quad story was AP. Normally they wee really good as you say. I'd bought 2 pairs of Linn Keilidhs from them, one set ex dem that were stolen, a second set on the insurance. That's why I was pissed off that he sneered at what was going on. He had me as an existing customer spending decent sums of money, he could have maintained that relationship and done very well. Fail.

advertisement

Back