advertisement

The 2024 Formula One Season

I doubt very much whether Hamilton or any other wealthy sportsman sits down and imbibes the VAT legislation and then plans a meticulous tax avoidance scheme armed with this knowledge. They pay people to do this for them and in the one case alluded to here I suspect those being paid have been too creative... shall we say. It's not right, it won't be the last time we hear it, but to single out one person when it happens over and over, and when in all likelihood that person has had no direct involvement themselves seems more about prejudice towards that person than a fair and balanced observation. Just saying...

Agreed. To paraphrase the late George Carmen QC from the Dodd case. “Accountants may be racing drivers, but racing drivers are never accountants.”

It helps to win in the lower formulae, too; from Wikipedia

"He has driven for Aston Martin since 2021, having previously driven for Williams and Racing Point. He was Italian F4 champion in 2014, Toyota Racing Series champion in 2015, and 2016 FIA European Formula 3 champion. He was part of the Ferrari Driver Academy from 2010 to 2015. He achieved his first podium finish, a 3rd place, at the 2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix, becoming the second-youngest driver to finish an F1 race on the podium and the youngest to do so during his rookie season"
Quite true, he did, and this is mentioned in the video. And it follows that anyone who can drive an F1 car at all has to be good. However, what still clearly comes across is that sense of entitlement, the fact that his family connections are putting a thumb on the scales. I strongly suspect that many other F1 drivers given the equipment and backing that he has would do better with it.

Alonso on 31 points, Stroll on 9. I think that says more than 8th and 10th.

Yeah, but ...

Stroll on 9, with all of the following, including previous race winners Ricciardo and Bottas, on 0 (zero) ...

15 Alexander Albon
16 Esteban Ocon
17 Zhou Guanyu
18 Daniel Ricciardo
19 Pierre Gasly
20 Valtteri Bottas
21 Logan Sargeant

Stroll finished ahead of Ricciardo and Bottas last year, too. By quite a margin.

Yeah, but ...

Stroll on 9, with all of the following, including previous race winners Ricciardo and Bottas, on 0 (zero) ...

15 Alexander Albon
16 Esteban Ocon
17 Zhou Guanyu
18 Daniel Ricciardo
19 Pierre Gasly
20 Valtteri Bottas
21 Logan Sargeant

Stroll finished ahead of Ricciardo and Bottas last year, too. By quite a margin.
Which maybe says more about their cars and teams.

Here you go: how would he do if the team mate of Verstappen? Hamilton? Leclerc? In the Aston. He’d still drive into things, still behave like the spoilt brat that he is.

Lewis H has never been keen to pay VAT...

"In 2022, he (Lewis Hamilton) donated a staggering 6.7 per cent of his wealth, or £20 million, to causes related to youth, education, and employment. This translates to an astounding £2,283 per hour"

That's just ONE year and something he doesn't have to do. One of the most charitable of all 'celebrities' and the most of all F1 drivers.

Better than giving it to the Tories to give to their mates. How is Jeff Bezos doing on VAT avoidance?

"Amazon's tax avoidance. We estimate that Amazon's tax avoidance could have cost the UK economy around half a billion pounds in 2021. Ethical Consumer has calculated that, in 2021, up to half a billion pounds (£500,000,000) could have been lost to the UK public purse from the corporation tax avoidance of Amazon alone"

I doubt it was a serious motivator. He has been very well paid for several years already and whilst there must be an element of negotiating the best salary he can. I can’t imagine it was a primary concern. Far more interesting is a team he believes will allow him to be competitive again.
I think you totally mis judge his character, (and that of pretty much all F1 drivers to be fair). He may well have helped promote good causes, but he's no altruist. People like him have no sense of "I've got enough money now", they're cut from the same cloth psychologically as the likes of Elon, Jobs, Gates et al, there's no such thing as having too much money in these peoples minds. They have a strong belief of entitlement. The proof is in the fact that they didn't drive for free after having earned their first £10 million which would have allowed them to live very comfortably for the rest of their lives.

I think you totally mis judge his character, (and that of pretty much all F1 drivers to be fair). He may well have helped promote good causes, but he's no altruist. People like him have no sense of "I've got enough money now", they're cut from the same cloth psychologically as the likes of Elon, Jobs, Gates et al, there's no such thing as having too much money in these peoples minds. They have a strong belief of entitlement. The proof is in the fact that they didn't drive for free after having earned their first £10 million which would have allowed them to live very comfortably for the rest of their lives.

I'd rather he have too much money (in your eyes) and be bunging charitable causes a fair whack of that each year, than not. Its more than you and I and probably everyone else on the forum do combined and then some, and without it, thats a big loss to a charity for doing some good work.

Entitlement, in my opinion, is when you don't give much or anything back. How are VER's charitable donations doing?

Why the f**k would anyone work for 'free' in a circus that is mostly entirely profit driven? Sure, take a big pay cut and drive for the lower end teams, as many drivers do do when they change contract.

I doubt very much whether Hamilton or any other wealthy sportsman sits down and imbibes the VAT legislation and then plans a meticulous tax avoidance scheme armed with this knowledge. They pay people to do this for them and in the one case alluded to here I suspect those being paid have been too creative... shall we say. It's not right, it won't be the last time we hear it, but to single out one person when it happens over and over, and when in all likelihood that person has had no direct involvement themselves seems more about prejudice towards that person than a fair and balanced observation. Just saying...
He's the only brit in the field, UK press are hardly going to care about the tax affairs of other F1 drivers.

He's the only brit in the field, UK press are hardly going to care about the tax affairs of other F1 drivers.

No he isn’t, he’s not even the only Brit in the field who lives in Monaco. Nor have the media been all that interested in the affairs of previous Brit F1 drivers. The selectivity of criticism directed at Lewis by gammon tabloids has been as relentless as it’s usually inaccurate, they know their readership.

Sounds like you don't really watch or engage with Formula1 and just merely dislike Lewis, have you explored your bias and why it is that you have it?

And this is?

Yup Lewis is being singled out over his financial affairs. Rich people have always been in the spotlight over their tax or business dealings, and rightly so.

And there we have it: another factor in me disliking F1 now. A needless comment about three talented drivers who are genuinely battling hard for points and their careers.

Oh well.
It was tongue in cheek. I should have used an emoji. They are indeed very talented drivers.

advertisement

Back