advertisement

The 2024 Formula One Season

This is key, also mentioned by Andrea Stella

Notable here is VER poor race judgement. He knew NOR had a penalty incoming, it was likely he would simply pass NOR back with DRS anyway but even if not, just stay within the 5 sec and he was good. I had hoped he had matured a little but maybe not.
I thought he had matured and gained a sense of perspective now that he’s had great success. It seems not, unfortunately.

George Russell pours champagne over Ted Karvitz, then leaves only to return a couple of minutes later and offer Ted his shower to clean up.

I think George is one of the nicer guys in F1, great he won yesterday, many more wins for him I hope in the future.

Do some of you actually try and watch this sport with a notion of objectivity? It was a case of fine margins yesterday and margins that have been blurred by stewards decisions in previous races. Verstappen has been brilliant in several races this year winning when many others would have been beaten by Norris, presumably people do see this as well yes?

Perez must be a bit happy of the accident, he was relieved the shame of being lapped by his team mate. The best car and not being able to pass a Haas!

Is it though? It has been beaten a couple of times this year, and Max is having to work for a living to win his races. I don't rate Perez, but I suspect that in that hands of most better-than-Perez drivers on the grid, the #1 Red Bull would not have had so many wins this year. I saw a comment the other day that other team principles think that Max brings 2-3 tenths to the car. Take that away and you would have very different standings.

It's still a very good car, but I'm not sure that if not in Max's hands, it is the best.

Do some of you actually try and watch this sport with a notion of objectivity? It was a case of fine margins yesterday and margins that have been blurred by stewards decisions in previous races. Verstappen has been brilliant in several races this year winning when many others would have been beaten by Norris, presumably people do see this as well yes?

I appreciate you have a picture of Maxy on your bedroom ceiling, but ya know, I feel this one was clear cut and the criticism is fair as this is about the race yesterday primarily.

The poor/delayed decision making from the stewards yesterday was a concern, but its not something we haven't seen before with the officials and RB, only when they REALLY had to did they act and between them and MV testing his free pass ticket, Norris got taken out of the race.

Is it though? It has been beaten a couple of times this year, and Max is having to work for a living to win his races. I don't rate Perez, but I suspect that in that hands of most better-than-Perez drivers on the grid, the #1 Red Bull would not have had so many wins this year. I saw a comment the other day that other team principles think that Max brings 2-3 tenths to the car. Take that away and you would have very different standings.

It's still a very good car, but I'm not sure that if not in Max's hands, it is the best.

This always came up during HAM winning streak and I don't think you can't totally separate the two. These successful cars are often designed around a certain drivers style, MSC wanted a very pointy car that most other drivers really struggled with, VET in the blower Red Bull was leagues ahead of his team mate (Webber) but as soon as they built a car without the exhaust blowing, WEB started beating him.

Autosport used to run a measure of the fastest cars based on a fairly complex algorithm to try and answer the question. Like you I don't rate PER either and have posted to that point recently, however I don't believe he is a second a lap slower than VER. His results are either because the car is midfield and VER is worth a second a lap (0.88 in Austria) or the car is the best and he wants something very different than VER with the way the car handles.

I appreciate you have a picture of Maxy on your bedroom ceiling.

Different username, same hypocrisy! You are the thread fanboy with your adoration of Hamilton to a point where you are blind to everything else.

It’s funny, as soon as the incident occurred yesterday I knew you’d be on here spouting your usual bollocks! It’s a shame as this thread has been so much better without you.

Different username, same hypocrisy! You are the thread fanboy with your adoration of Hamilton to a point where you are blind to everything else.

It’s funny, as soon as the incident occurred yesterday I knew you’d be on here spouting your usual bollocks! It’s a shame as this thread has been so much better without you.

I’ve always been here, so there is no ‘without’. I love that I am living in your head rent free though :)

I enjoy your tribalism defence of what basically was bad sportsmanship , but as I said, i agree with you that the stewards did not add the correct penalties at the time they occurred so he was able to get away with it, until he ruined someone else's race and they *had* to act then.

Lewis wasn’t even in this mix so bizarre reference, nothing blind here as pretty much every review of the incident comes out with a similar version.

This always came up during HAM winning streak and I don't think you can't totally separate the two. These successful cars are often designed around a certain drivers style, MSC wanted a very pointy car that most other drivers really struggled with, VET in the blower Red Bull was leagues ahead of his team mate (Webber) but as soon as they built a car without the exhaust blowing, WEB started beating him.

Autosport used to run a measure of the fastest cars based on a fairly complex algorithm to try and answer the question. Like you I don't rate PER either and have posted to that point recently, however I don't believe he is a second a lap slower than VER. His results are either because the car is midfield and VER is worth a second a lap (0.88 in Austria) or the car is the best and he wants something very different than VER with the way the car handles.
I think the answer lies somewhere between the two. Max is definitely bringing something few others can and he is remarkably consistent, but it’s not a second a lap. As I have said before the truly great drivers get more out of a car than the merely very good ones. This is amplified when the car is not perfect. Schumacher and Barrichello were often quite close when the Ferrari was the best car, a lot less when it wasn’t. I don’t think much of the grid would do that much better than Perez right now.

As for yesterday Norris also needs to learn to bide his time… plan a move and make it stick… Hamilton would have got past as would Alonso imo. Not having go at Norris as he’s still learning but the fact remains that without the contact he’d still have lost due to the track limits infringement.

My take on Perez, for what it's worth; he's a proven race winner and able to challenge without loosing his mind, unlike Verstappen. But he took the dollar to ride shotgun and is now struggling to find the motivation to get with the program. We all know the RB car was designed and built to accommodate Verstappen's precise driving style, with the inevitable outcome that setting up Perez's car will be somewhat compromised as a result. Shame really.

John

Of course not NOR is a Brit and VER a johnny foreigner, you don't honestly expect people to be impartial and objective do you?

Because of course we all know NOR is incapable of being over agressive himself:

I don't watch a lot of F1 these days but did watch the highlights of the race yesterday. From that I don't think Verstappen has any ground for complaints against the stewards, but definitely has grounds to not be happy with his team not letting him know that Norris was definitely going to get a penalty.

In previous years I've certainly seen worse from drivers defending overtakes (including from Verstappen) without any effective penalties.

I'm neither a Brit nor a Dutch. Verstapen is one of the best drivers ever but in my view he deliberately hit Lando Norris and should lose the points.

Paid homage to the legend at his one-time home in Norwich on Sunday. Appropriate that it was pouring with rain.

That was all the F1 I did for the whole weekend.

So Helmut Marko has (predictably) leapt to the defence of his driver and labelled Norris as 'pathetic' for whinging about Verstappen on the radio in the Austrian GP. At the same time McLaren have made a rare social media post backing their driver and further pointing the finger at Verstappen.

This feels very like the vibe before the British GP in 2021 with Hamilton and Verstappen both becoming entrenched in their different views of on track incidents and we all know how that one went. The only difference is Verstappen and Norris are friends so hopefully they will have had a chat about it offline and calmed the waters so as to speak.

advertisement

Back