advertisement

The 2023 Formula One Season

Not F1, but Tony Lockhart will enjoy the noise! The most beautiful of all endurance racers, the 1967 Ferrari 330P4, on the Top Gear test track.

Of all his designs, this was Mauro Forghieri's favourite.

I don't see the point of this video. No clue if the sound is real or not but it is just like game footage. CGI has got pretty good but this is not particularly a great one either.

I love the real car, but I don’t like computer graphic videos!
Fooled! Must confess that I didn't know why it hadn't featured on Top Gear, but I didn't spot the fake on my little screen. Never mind, here's something genuine, should you have the odd tens of millions burning a hole in your pocket:

Fooled! Must confess that I didn't know why it hadn't featured on Top Gear, but I didn't spot the fake on my little screen. Never mind, here's something genuine, should you have the odd tens of millions burning a hole in your pocket:

I could spot it on my iPhone’s screen easily enough :)

Anyone watch the Mexico GP? Ricciardo and Norris were the standout performers to me, the former is making a return to Red Bull look more and more likely especially as Perez continues to implode. Solid race by Lewis, but the gulf between the Merc and the Red Bull in Max's hands looks as big as ever.

As for Max... never seen a driver with such intensity, the championships are won, but you wouldn't know it... he just continues to strive to win every race and top every session. He's like a terminator :D Ferrari seem to be slowly getting it together, maybe Vasseur is the man for the job after all. Every race now they seem to improve on every front little by little.

Aston Martin had another shocker... can't be long now before Alonso throws his toys out of the pram surely?

Couldn't watch it, but have seen the highlights - Norris did a mighty job. Good to see good ol Oz Daniel R. up there again - I'd love him to get a first-class race seat again.

However, barring mechanical failure, I can't see the Verstappen/Red Bull combination being beaten this year. Hamilton is no slouch, but he was well beaten. I just hope that the rest of the field can get fed up racing for second place and come up with something more competitive.

Last edited:
Anyone watch the Mexico GP? Ricciardo and Norris were the standout performers to me, the former is making a return to Red Bull look more and more likely especially as Perez continues to implode. Solid race by Lewis, but the gulf between the Merc and the Red Bull in Max's hands looks as big as ever.

As for Max... never seen a driver with such intensity, the championships are won, but you wouldn't know it... he just continues to strive to win every race and top every session. He's like a terminator :D Ferrari seem to be slowly getting it together, maybe Vasseur is the man for the job after all. Every race now they seem to improve on every front little by little.

Aston Martin had another shocker... can't be long now before Alonso throws his toys out of the pram surely?

Yup, watched most of it although in chunks. What a drive from NOR, loved it, the moves on RIC and RUS were epic seemed like only him and HAM were able to routinely overtake with most others stuck behind slower cars (and VER of course but his car is in a different class). The DRS being not quite the push to pass it has been at other events and made the overtakes feel more special.

Agree on Ferrari, much more consistent and the race pace was not as far off the quali pace as in the recent past. Mercs still faster in race pace - at least for HAM. RUS seems to have dropped off a littled in pace recently. He was outqualifying HAM more often at the beginning of the year and race pace was very similar or better on occasions. My impression is that at the Merc has got better, HAM has benefitted more. Is that because it suits him more a la VER vs PER or is it HAM trying harder now the car is more competitive?

Re VER; all drivers want to win but some are motivated differently. I was a Prost fan and he loved the idea of winning at the slowest possible pace. Less stress on the car, driving within himself and in an era with fragile cars, it paid off well. Then you had Mansell who wanted to dominate every race but would often crash and burn. He was cursed with a strong sense of paranoia and was always looking to prove himself which I think led to that. HAM performance always dropped off once the goal had been met, Once the WCC/WDC had been won, he rarely won another race in that season. Not sure if that was deliberate or just how his motivation worked. With VER he needs to win everything which is why he got into so many scraps in the early years and especially wheel to wheel with HAM. Right now it is easy street, he is at one with the car, a totally demoralised team mate and breaking every in season record that exists without really working for it. Impressive? Yes. Exciting, not really, unless you are Dutch. Oh and yes I agree HAM had his share of dominance but mostly with competitive team mates to spice things up. Right who will be 2nd is the only interest to be had.

HAM vs RUS…either HAM is more committed with a better car or could it be that RUS copes better with a pig of a car whereas HAM is better at maximising the potential of a better behaved car?

HAM vs RUS…either HAM is more committed with a better car or could it be that RUS copes better with a pig of a car whereas HAM is better at maximising the potential of a better behaved car?

HAM is older - maybe hurt more by physical abuse from the car (porpoising) than his younger team mate. Similarly, maybe less willing to push the envelope and risk a big crash in a skittish car than a younger driver who sill has much to prove.

HAM is older - maybe hurt more by physical abuse from the car (porpoising) than his younger team mate. Similarly, maybe less willing to push the envelope and risk a big crash in a skittish car than a younger driver who sill has much to prove.

I think some truth in the latter part of your comment, why push to the max when the rewards are limited. Not entirely sure on the physical element, they are all as fit as a butchers dog these days.

I think some truth in the latter part of your comment, why push to the max when the rewards are limited. Not entirely sure on the physical element, they are all as fit as a butchers dog these days.
But LH is getting close to 40 and the body's ability to train and absorb physical punishment does fall away with age.

My future following of F1 is seriously threatened. Not, like Tony by the cars and state of the racing but by the changing fan behaviour outlined in this report in Autosport.

The extreme partisan fan behaviour as largely defined by football idiot tribes can be seen everywhere now. The extreme language and hatred used routinely is a key reason I have never seen the attraction of football. Seeing it grow in F1 at tracks and by F1 team members in some cases is alarming me greatly. We have seen some of it on here in the past albeit mild in comparison, the provocative language of the football tribe has no part of my F1 fandom. We mostly have drivers and teams we support but fandom should be defined by support of them not the denigration of others we don't support. Criticism is fine and if a driver/team behaves like a dick then call it out but the tribal nature the sport seems to be heading for is unpleasant.

I have pretty much abandoned the F1 forums now as sensible debate and discussion has disappeared almost completely. The best discussions are now in the "Classic" sections with fans of motorsport rather than a Premier League alike glory fan. They exist for all drivers and to some degree have always existed, trouble is they now seem to outnumber the core fans.

Thanks, I feel better now!

advertisement

Back