advertisement

The 2023 Formula One Season

Longest straight in Vegas seems to be about 2.09km, if google maps is accurate; not quite as long as Baku, at 2.2km, but not far off. Braking for the left-hander at the south end should be ... interesting.

It is never the teams that want the nobbling, it might be them who are dominant in the future; it is always the governance and rights holders scared of falling interest. One teams uber fans do not compensate for getting the wider public to tune in. Mass market appeal is the name of the game now.
Interesting that nobbling is exactly what is being contemplated in MotoGP, which is in danger of becoming a Ducati-only formula. The Japanese manufacturers have badly dropped the ball (Suzuki has departed, and Honda and Yamaha currently inhabit the bottom of the constructors' table, Honda having lost its star Marc Marquez, who spent much of this season on his bottom while trying to make a woefully uncompetitive machine do what it didn't want to do).

Interesting that nobbling is exactly what is being contemplated in MotoGP, which is in danger of becoming a Ducati-only formula. The Japanese manufacturers have badly dropped the ball (Suzuki has departed, and Honda and Yamaha currently inhabit the bottom of the constructors' table, Honda having lost its star Marc Marquez, who spent much of this season on his bottom while trying to make a woefully uncompetitive machine do what it didn't want to do).

But it is Dorna proposing the change for the same reason, driving the casual audience away. However I would say I feel it is different in MotoGP, there are several Ducati teams with a range of competitive riders, very different to what typically happens in F1. Also MotoGP is not as popular with the wider public except possibly in Spain.

Usually in F1 we get the situation with MSC, VET, ALO and VER where one driver in one team dominates. Very occasionally you get both drivers equally competitive such as Senna and Prost, HAM and ROS/BUT - although HAM dominated with BOT and KOV there. Having one driver winning every is a problem for a promoter.

Delightful

Aha, good ol' Sandown. It was just a bit up the road from where I lived, and I've been to races there. Not a particularly interesting circuit (very flat, as it's built around the outside of the horse racing track), but it means that you can see a large part of the track from many vantage points.

Last edited:
Exciting news today. Formula One gets better all of the time. General motors have announced that they will supply engines badged as Cadillac.

Ferrari
Mercedes
Renault
Honda
Red Bull
Audi
General Motors

402193490_776959894473108_700209337305074180_n.jpg

I just looked at this weekend's schedule, and qualifying starts at 2:00 AM my time. For a race on my continent, in my country, 1454 miles due west from here. That's as bad as the worst of the Asian races. Doesn't seem like a good way to grow the sport in this country.

The race will be midnight my time, so not quite as bad but still pretty grim. About the same as Suzuka.

I'll be watching the 3-minute highlight edit of the Vegas race once it's available on YouTube, as it just might be a sight to behold.

In case I haven't said already, I gave up watching F1 at the start of the 2022 season to make time for my then-new girlfriend as she works 9-5 Monday to Friday whereas I work shifts with different start and finish times and my days off vary from one week to the next as well, so trying to build love around the F1 calendar just didn't seem like the right way to go about it; not having a TV Licence was another complication on top of everything else. All of which is to say that for the last two seasons (including the current season) my F1 interest has been reduced to dipping into the pink fish F1 threads now and again to see what's happening.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to watching the highlights to see the big circus in the big circus. It might just be one helluva show!

Well....

A GM based engine won the F1 championship in both 1966 and 1967. No carbs or pushrods, though :)
Those championships were won by the single OHC engine. The later DOHC version was a disaster. The original factory was just across the road from Dulux Australia, where I used to work.

advertisement

Back