advertisement

The 2023 Formula One Season

Maybe Perez is too fast for his own good. Verstappen's superiority complex and utter belief in his own hype may induce repercussions for his 'lesser' team mate further into the season.

John

PER is a fairly good team mate to VER. I liken him as BOT was to HAM in many ways, fast enought to pick up the pieces when the main man stumbles but not fast enoiugh to trouble him most of the time. Like BOT he has tracks where he is in the zone and is equally fast or maybe occasionally faster. This early in the season with a massively dominant car RB were happy to let it play last week. I doubt it will happen but if they get into squeeky bum time then PER will be getting the call for sure.

Perez has definately improved of late and if he does better there could actually be a battle for 1st place . At least Rosberg vs Hamilton did produce some good action in the past , the sport needs this at the moment

RedBull mentioned they changed something at the rear of the new car to make it behave like Perez prefers. That might be reason the Verstappens are trying to get RedBull to focus on more important reliability stuff :)

I am not too surprised. It is a big restructure, back to the old days of the technical committee instead of having a Technical Director. This structure was very effective in the days when McLaren were just relentless, up until 2012. James Key has a design background and as such was not the problem here and is also not the solution unless he is very good at building teams. As they will need the whole technical team to work together to get themselves out of this mess.

Toto has been dropping hints that he was going to do something like this, but after so many years of dominance the Merc technical team have a bit more freedom and time to fix their problems. He has brought James Alison back into the F1 structure but I cannot see that helping as it is a set of problems down in the detail of the flow field. James' experience in F1 aero is old (but nowhere old enough to include ground effect, which was also before my time), whereas his team have far more recent and relevant experience. The help that they need is in shifting their focus and experience beyond the micro optimisation they were doing around a very successful aero solution that is now broadly irrelevant. And they need to look at developing a very different flow field to give the performance gains that they need.

advertisement

Back