advertisement

The 2023 Formula One Season

I fear, Lemon Car 2.0.

I have started to think that there is a little bit of arrogance by the Merc engineers and designers of that car at play in them not wanting to admit defeat that its a lemon and the theory of 'unlocking its potential' may never actually come.

Still, I am happy to see Aston Martin and Alonso having a crack at RB but that may be short lived as there's always a bit of sandbagging going on in free practice.

The Green Mercs looks good.
Probably fairer to call it a Green Red Bull this year ;)

Having hired engineers from both teams and adopted a lot of Merc design in the past they were smart enough to head in the direction of Red Bull for this year's car. I hope it is enough to offer the chance for a decent race (sadly just for 2nd/3rd depending on Perez): Alonso versus Leclerc anybody? Yes please!

Five minutes of Q1, red flag.

I’ve a sickening feeling that this year will be worse than last year for over-cautious boredom.
Cue presenters trying to make nothingness interesting.

Qualifiers don't always see a full house, tomorrow will be different I would think.

There are a few tracks where, as I’ve mentioned over the years, they combine low spectator capacity with partially empty stands on race day.

ETA: Bahrain’s record attendance is 35,000 on race day in 2021.
I think Silverstone used to get 10,000 for mid-week testing days twenty years ago.

I fear, Lemon Car 2.0.

I have started to think that there is a little bit of arrogance by the Merc engineers and designers of that car at play in them not wanting to admit defeat that its a lemon and the theory of 'unlocking its potential' may never actually come.

I think it was Albert Einstein who said (or who was supposed to have said) that insanity is repeatedly doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Or, when you're in a hole, stop digging.

Still, I am happy to see Aston Martin and Alonso having a crack at RB but that may be short lived as there's always a bit of sandbagging going on in free practice.

Good that he has reasonable-appearing equipment. Mind you, I find it amusing that it is labelled "Aston Martin". IIRC, it started in the dim and distant past as Jordan F1, before going through a plethora of changes to arrive at its present identity And the engines are Mercedes (but then, some Aston Martins do use AMG engines).

Apparently the Aston has the same back end as the Merc but they have kept the useless sidepod design from last year ! Time for Wolf to eat humble pie and remove them ,perhaps Aston could give them their front end lol

Apparently the Aston has the same back end as the Merc but they have kept the useless sidepod design from last year ! Time for Wolf to eat humble pie and remove them ,perhaps Aston could give them their front end lol

That is missing the point though. Merc dont want to copy RB or anyone. The best you can expect following that line is to be the same. To beat everyone you need to innovate and go your own way follow your own design concept. It has served them well for many years so I understand why they have persevered. That all said Wolff has said today that they might need a redesign.

Before starting first race telling the press you may need to redesign the car. Seems they still do not understand their car.

Whatever the situation, the net result is we seem further away from some of the fantastic racing we had just a couple of seasons ago and that is very disappointing.

That changed to 1.27 covering just 9 in Q3. Several different pole positions in 2021 and some real pace among rivals, let's see how this pans out.

advertisement

Back