advertisement

The 2023 Formula One Season

Wolff concedes defeat, they are ditching the car
From Autosport:

Within minutes of the end of qualifying, and even before George Russell and Lewis Hamilton had sat down with the engineers, team boss Toto Wolff declared that title hopes were all but over and a new car concept was needed.

“I don't think this package is going to be competitive eventually,” he said. “We gave it our best shot all over the winter, and now we just need to all regroup and sit down with the engineers, who are totally not dogmatic about anything.

“There are no holy cows and we need to decide what is the development direction that we want to pursue in order to be competitive to win races.”

That is missing the point though. Merc dont want to copy RB or anyone. The best you can expect following that line is to be the same. To beat everyone you need to innovate and go your own way follow your own design concept. It has served them well for many years so I understand why they have persevered. That all said Wolff has said today that they might need a redesign.
@peter bj Taking the rear end from another team could mean any of the following (going from greatest design freedom to least):

1. The engine only.
2. The engine and gearbox but with modified inboard suspension pick up points to put your own suspension design on (i.e. ability to adjust inboard and outboard suspension pick up points) with greater design freedom.
3. The engine and gearbox with the Merc inboard suspension pick up points, thereby allowing freedom to create a suspension with different outboard suspension points for suspension and or aero reasons.
4. The engine and gearbox with Merc inboard and outboard suspension points but manufacture of own suspension components with own layups etc (least likely scenario as the Merc suspension design from this point of view will be very good and cheaper to buy than redesign).
5. The engine gearbox and suspension hardware.

Racing Point (initial phase of becoming Aston Martin F1) with the RP20 that was raced in 2020, was based around an extension of option 5. with the purchase of the front suspension (all from Merc) and copying everything else they possibly could by using advanced photogrammetry (from photographs of the 2019 Merc). That made for a quick car as the regulations were pretty stable from 2019 to 2020, but other teams and the FIA objected and so this extreme approach was banned.

I am trying to find out what Aston are purchasing from Merc for 2023.

There are a few tracks where, as I’ve mentioned over the years, they combine low spectator capacity with partially empty stands on race day.

ETA: Bahrain’s record attendance is 35,000 on race day in 2021.
I think Silverstone used to get 10,000 for mid-week testing days twenty years ago.

According to Brundle with their Prime Minister, a sell out stadium today..how much truth there is in that, I guess we shall see when the footage starts!

I just hope all those on here who thought the Qatar World Cup should be cancelled, or should be boycotted, are applying the same degree of moral relativism to todays F1 in Bahrain - we don’t want any hypocrites.

Is there a race on?

Looks like it was over before it began.

Back to playing Solitaire then:

John

Max could pull into Clackett Lane services for a coffee and Danish and still win this.

Nice to see Williams appear to be moving up to a mid-field team. Shame that McLaren have taken their place as back-markers.

Well done Max, Perez and Alonso... you do have to have a little bit of a laugh at the Merc customer team giving Merc themselves a lesson on track :D Hamilton was caught napping by Alonso... not what you expect from a driver of his calibre and hopefully not an indicator of the start of a decline. Was pretty amateurish though.

Brilliant job by Red Bull, season looks theirs for sure. It all played out pretty much as anticipated, even the Aston lived up to billing. Great racing between Lewis and Fernando. The Mercedes looked as predicted, unable to make an impression on Sainz, who may have been bluffing about the tyres but never looked like being caught.

Well done Max, Perez and Alonso... you do have to have a little bit of a laugh at the Merc customer team giving Merc themselves a lesson on track :D Hamilton was caught napping by Alonso... not what you expect from a driver of his calibre and hopefully not an indicator of the start of a decline. Was pretty amateurish though.

That was great, they each caught other napping in turn but ultimately that Aston had much more.

Next race, Mercedes will have installed a flux capacitor because an engineer will promise it will eventually unlock the potential!

Aston have the Merc engine suspension and gearbox , they also used their wind tunnel for the aero so Merc must have a pretty good idea what is going on .
As predicted Red Bull looks way ahead , Max probably not driving flat out either , they are to be complemented for making an excellent car . The excitement will now be for 3rd and 4th unless someone else has a genius moment

advertisement

Back