advertisement

The 2020 F1 Season

Could the mysterious 3rd Ferrari Steering wheel paddle have been a similar device all along? Merc having now sussed this..

@IanW I noticed that Robert Kubica was 1.7 secs faster than Antonio Giovinazzi on Day 1. Presumably they were on different set ups, or perhaps KUB is still really on the money (which would be my sneaking suspicion)

@IanW I noticed that Robert Kubica was 1.7 secs faster than Antonio Giovinazzi on Day 1. Presumably they were on different set ups, or perhaps KUB is still really on the money (which would be my sneaking suspicion)

Well if that's the case, and the 2019 Williams was really just that bad, then by implication how good must Russell be?

Well if that's the case, and the 2019 Williams was really just that bad, then by implication how good must Russell be?

Well RUS had the best pedigree of all the newbies last year. Just a shame the Williams was so truly awful.

No idea where KUB really rates, probably neither as good as his fans wanted or as bad as he looked over the season. The Polish fans were hilarious on the F1 forums coming up with ever more ludicrous tinfoil hat reasons why Williams were sabotaging him.

Well RUS had the best pedigree of all the newbies last year. Just a shame the Williams was so truly awful.

No idea where KUB really rates, probably neither as good as his fans wanted or as bad as he looked over the season. The Polish fans were hilarious on the F1 forums coming up with ever more ludicrous tinfoil hat reasons why Williams were sabotaging him.

Didn’t it register with those Polish fans that driving virtually one handed is what was sabotaging Kubica?

Kubica pre accident was right up there with Hamilton & Alonso IMO. Massive credit to him for just being able to get back to some kind of level after that accident. Took a lot of guts and hard work.

And I still can’t understand why there was no legal action against whoever was responsible for the crash barrier that pierced Kubica’s car. When you see how quick the authorities in Italy are to charge anyone over anything, this seems to have passed them by.

Nor do I :)

I was just wondering who would be liable that was all - and then there would be the issue that he was not really an official competitor (he was driving for personal enjoyment).

Still hugely sad. Personally, I wouldn't put Alonso on the same level as Hamilton in any shape or form. Hamilton strikes me as being one of only two drivers in my lifetime that have simply raised the bar - primarily in terms of consistency and dependability. Those two would get 100% out of the car 100% of the time regardless of conditions.

Nor do I :)

I was just wondering who would be liable that was all - and then there would be the issue that he was not really an official competitor (he was driving for personal enjoyment).

Still hugely sad. Personally, I wouldn't put Alonso on the same level as Hamilton in any shape or form. Hamilton strikes me as being one of only two drivers in my lifetime that have simply raised the bar - primarily in terms of consistency and dependability. Those two would get 100% out of the car 100% of the time regardless of conditions.
Who is the other one? Senna, Prost, Schumacher?

Who is the other one? Senna, Prost, Schumacher?

Senna for me - he could wring something out of a dog of a car - I remember watching him driving a Toleman at the beginning of his career, partnering Johnny Cecotto. Even in that he could do stuff that other drivers couldn't especially in the rain.

Senna was a genius. From his battles with Brundle in the Banerj Ralt F3 it was clear the guy was special. Did he have the consistency though, or the ability to not overdrive in the pursuit of victory. I'm not sure. I remember the drive at Monaco in the hideous Toleman but there was also a mental aspect that it seemed Prost in particular was able to exploit.

For me, in my lifetime, the two drivers who possessed it all (more of less) were Schumacher and Hamilton. I don't see the others coming close. Maybe in one area. Outright pace. Overtaking prowess.Working with their engineers. As a whole though? No. Not in my book. We should value Hamilton. He will be gone soon. He is the greatest British sportsman of my life time. If he had been driving that Ferrari last year he would most likely have won the World Driver's Championship.

Didn’t it register with those Polish fans that driving virtually one handed is what was sabotaging Kubica?

Kubica pre accident was right up there with Hamilton & Alonso IMO. Massive credit to him for just being able to get back to some kind of level after that accident. Took a lot of guts and hard work.

Totally agree, he was a top line talent and for sure would have ended up at Ferrari/Merc or similar level team.

Senna for me - he could wring something out of a dog of a car - I remember watching him driving a Toleman at the beginning of his career, partnering Johnny Cecotto. Even in that he could do stuff that other drivers couldn't especially in the rain.

Don't forget Donington Park ,European GP in the wet,I never will.

As I have suggested elsewhere, try looking at what happened last year.

advertisement

Back