advertisement

The 2020 F1 Season

Indeed? You have a knowledge of motorsport that stretches back half a century or more - unless I'm mistaken (which I am very much these days )

I remember reading my Autosport and really looking forward to the 24 heures du Monde realising that barring a miracle or a mechanical, the British/Belgian partnership would prevail.

I’ve only admired Le Mans from a distance. I really wish I’d gone before they put the chicanes in the Mulsanne, but hey.

This is one of my favourite motorsport videos. Poor quality video and audio, but it has great atmosphere, something modern telly coverage misses in all sport.

PS. I was born in ‘63 :)

I’ve only admired Le Mans from a distance. I really wish I’d gone before they put the chicanes in the Mulsanne, but hey.

Although given that terminal velocities were approaching 400km/h and the tendency to take off and fly, as memorably per Mark Webber

(and that was after they put in the chicanes!) they had to do something.

Sadly, I was in approaching A-levels at the time....

Stolen off the interwebs:

“But for the long straights of Le Mans, the pitch angles of the Mercedes cars were nearer neutral to allow the cars to take full advantage of their naturally-aspirated 5.7-litre V8s. This was implemented by softening the rear suspension, making the relatively stiff front axle susceptible to hopping and jumping.”

So, it was their own fault. Mercedes were going through a challenging period: flying cars at Le Mans, drop in build quality, new A Class failing the elk test, and that attention seeking woman dying in a Merc in a tunnel crash.

They did well to stay in business.

We are the same sage Tony so we will have similar memories. For some reason a vision of Tom Pryce is a 1975 UOP Shadow prior to his death popped into my head writing this...

I also remembered Hunt winning in a Hesketh at Zandsvoort that year too - both in detail - but I have no idea what I've done so far this year :) Oh joy...

This is one of my favourite motorsport videos. Poor quality video and audio, but it has great atmosphere, something modern telly coverage misses in all sport.

I was there:)
3 of us made a point of being there in the middle of the night. Unforgettable noise.

Ah. I fondly remember the 956. I went to see the 1000km of Brands back in the eighties with my Dad and cheered on the Rothmans logoed version.
I had an oil painting featuring Bell in the rain at Brands, a race that I also attended. Presented to me by Johnny Herbert after a charity auction for 'Racing for Britain" . Offered it (for sale) to Porsche GB but they never even replied! Sold at auction a few years ago.

I had an oil painting featuring Bell in the rain at Brands, a race that I also attended. Presented to me by Johnny Herbert after a charity auction for 'Racing for Britain" . Offered it (for sale) to Porsche GB but they never even replied! Sold at auction a few years ago.
I believe that I still may have a collection of Michael Turner postcards that my late father gave me in the sixties, wonderful art and I can still picture many in my head. Must clear my loft, we've lived here for 30 odd years!

Oh to be able to do that on the M40 during the shutdown :)
The first GT40s for Le Mans were tested on the M1 in the dead of night. The few motorists that were around in those hours got the fright of their lives as this thing howled past them - and of course no police car could come anywhere near it. So the police had a word with Ford Advanced Vehicles and it stopped.

The first GT40s for Le Mans were tested on the M1 in the dead of night. The few motorists that were around in those hours got the fright of their lives as this thing howled past them - and of course no police car could come anywhere near it. So the police had a word with Ford Advanced Vehicles and it stopped.
I thought that was the AC Cobra?

advertisement

Back