advertisement

The 2019 F1 season.

I think VET did put a racer's natural instinctive squeeze on HAM, just as HAM has said he's do in the reverse situation. Clearly it's against the rules and nowadays there are cameras everywhere, including one they didn't broadcast, plus there's the car data. The way the rules are written leaves no room for interpretation - this is where some latitude need to be written in.

That said, to squeeze another car towards a wall, instinctively or otherwise, isn't great.

Hamilton fan here and I think the penalty was harsh, sure Hamilton had to get out of it, but he did and no harm was done. Mario Andretti summed it up the best for me:

"I think the function of the stewards is to penalize flagrantly unsafe moves not honest mistakes as result of hard racing. What happened at the Canada GP is not acceptable at this level of our great sport."

Completely agree - rules need sorting out to let a bit more racing happen unhindered by stewarding decisions - imagine today's rules applied to Arnoux and Villeneuve at Dijon in 1979.

And yet Ferrari welcomed the same decision 10 races ago. Go figure. He made a mistake, Hamilton would have overtaken, he shut the door to prevent this. Penalty.

From what I saw, HAMs left side wheels looked to go past the track limit white line, so, had he managed to pass VET, would he have been penalised for gaining an advantage by leaving the track?

Vettel is extraordinary amongst F1 drivers. Trouble is Hamilton is fractionally more extraordinary. It must burn Vettel up, and that's why we watch.

Ferrari being a bit incompetent doesn't help.

It’s incredible to me that someone could reach Vettels level and not have had the psychological training to deal with the pressure. Hamilton has him beaten before they even start their engines. Vettel desperately needs a good sports psychologist.

The stewards, that included Emanuele Pirro and Tom Kristensen had a difficult job (Mark Webber perhaps need to revise his tweet that they need to get racing drivers on the stewards panel) . It seems clear (based on all the on car, off car footage and from the telemetry data that they had available) that they interpreted the rules correctly (I rarely agree with Jolyon Palmer but do in this case). They then checked with the race director and Jean Todt, all of whom agreed with the decision to apply the penalty.

From what I remember, the drivers and that included Hamilton and Vettel, wanted rules and consistent application in place to avoid some of the seemingly emotional and inconsistent decisions of the past.

advertisement

Back