advertisement

The 2018 F1 Thread

I would genuinely be surprised if any human being could interpret the rules and produce a design that was more efficient than a computer network based in Brackley could in 2018.

Having said that I know nothing about it these days, it's purely a supposition based on what I see happening elsewhere.

Hi Tantris,

It’s extraordinary that today’s result can hinge on the tightest of margins as a safety car is deployed. Ferrari must be pinching themselves. Hamilton is still, in my view, the best driver with the best car out there, but I felt he backed off in the last six laps rather than take the fight all the way to the line. I guess this is a team decision - better to take the points than risk losing everything - but I think Ricciardo or Verstappen would have driven those last laps differently and taken the fight all the way. A bit disappointing not to see that from Hamilton as he should have the pace to force an overtake in a DRS zone. I'm not sure if there was a technical issue with his car at this time.

What on earth happened with Haas?!? Nevertheless, if the pit crew can perform, it looks as if they have a competitive car at last.

Merc will have needed to save fuel and been worried that they front tyres would degrade if he was too close to Vettel for too long without being able to overtake. So to save the engine for future races where an overtake would be easier, and get to the end of the race, they took the best option available to them.

Rediculous rules that alllowed the first and second placed drivers to lose out.

How have the drivers in first and second lost out?

As has been stated on here, numerous times, F1 drivers have always had to look after their tyres, their engine, their brakes and the amount of fuel they use if they want to get as high a position in the race as possible.

Ian,

there is no suggestion that Haas could have been employed by their supplier given the circumstances is there?

If the pitwall saw an opportunity based on the timing screens after Hamilton's stop?

I'm always hopeful that some actual racing will at some point return to F1, but that would perhaps not suit the more powerful vested interests. In the meantime, here are some highlights of the Gurney Cup race at the recent 76th Goodwood Members' Meeting, showing gentlemanly racing at its best - pretty heroic stuff considering how valuable most of the cars are!

Shuggie,

Did you see the rest of that Goodwood MM on telly? It reminded me of why I'll be unlikely to return. Poorly organised, very sub-par safety, terrible vehicle recovery..... And monotonous racing on the whole. Add all that to just miserable weather and it's not worth the entry fee.

The Gurney Cup race was better because the qualifying weather conditions mixed the grid up a bit.

And hey, the winner in his GT40 had been looking after his tyres til the last half a lap!

Yes, I did watch much of the live coverage, but did not particularly notice the organisational issues. The weather on the first day was dire, and far from ideal on the second, but the racing was (for me) great, culminating in that Gurney Cup race which had me on the ege of my seat. Wouldn’t it be great if F1 got back to this sort of close racing, where overtaking happens all the time?

Yes, I did watch much of the live coverage, but did not particularly notice the organisational issues. The weather on the first day was dire, and far from ideal on the second, but the racing was (for me) great, culminating in that Gurney Cup race which had me on the ege of my seat. Wouldn’t it be great if F1 got back to this sort of close racing, where overtaking happens all the time?

Aaah, the old myth. Take a look at the records. Very rarely was there much overtaking, but people cherry pick the odd race to illustrate their view. Some races were won by minutes, on long tracks!

I Just did a completely random search for the results of the 1967 Frech Grand Prix. Not too close, few finishers. I'm not sure how Coulthard etc would commentate on it!

I would genuinely be surprised if any human being could interpret the rules and produce a design that was more efficient than a computer network based in Brackley could in 2018.

The rule book isn't a dvd full of ones and zeroes. Yes, there are plenty of minimum and maximum dimensions, but there'll be plenty of room for interpretation and pushing the limits. For example, some wings flex more than others, even though the rules look watertight on that.

Simulation softare can not only be aware of that Tony, but can help you to maximise that for individual circuits and circmstances.

All it requires AFAIK is the data to have been input in the first instance and given the tomes of relevent data collected by top teams over the past few decades, one would assume that something with the intelligence of a supercomputer would have enough points now to be able to maximise most regulation changes. In short, I would expect the best teams to have the best data and therefore to have the most efficient processes.

That's how I understand a lot of fields to work these days anyway and I'm genuinely intrigued as to why F1 might be, and indeed might remain, different

Technology, rules and circuits change. And of course F1 is a unique set of rules that are changed every now and then to shame it all up a bit.

If a computer could do it all, IanW would have a lonely time at Sauber!

It's all about data points though Tony - not "human intuition" or intelligence.

There comes a point where the IT system knows even more than Ian.

There is no reason that I know of why an IT system would not, almost immediately, know the impact under all circumstances of the loss of one element on the front wing, and the best method of minimising that impact. In the old days, the variables were too many. I'm intrigued as to whether that is still the case.

I can understand one driver 'jumping' another at a pit stop during normal racing but allowing a driver to in effect cut out a large part of the track by pitting under a virtual safety car is a bit unfair.

I can understand one driver 'jumping' another at a pit stop during normal racing but allowing a driver to in effect cut out a large part of the track by pitting under a virtual safety car is a bit unfair.

Been allowed for a while now. Yes, it's silly.
Still, barring mechanical problems Bahrain should be a Merc 1,2.

advertisement

Back