What combo would you choose?

• Sugden A21a Series 2 / Shahinian Arcs

Votes: 25 51.0%
  • Naim NAC152XS & NAP155XS / Shahinian Arcs

Votes: 24 49.0%

• Total voters
G

Guest432

I've currently got a Sugden A21a Series 2 with shahinian Arcs but am being tempted to go back to naim again in the form of the NAC 152 XS / NAP 155 XS combo.

Should also add I previously had a Naim 202/200/Hicap system and liked the sound of the black kit but not the older chrome bumper / olive stuff.

Given the choice what would you choose between the two combos?

I choose the naim combo albeit the earlier versions. I chose them against the Sugden. Saying that I could have been very happy with either, I just chose the naim because I thought they may hold their price a little better.

Personally I'd say 72/HiCap/250 or 140 and board swap in the 72 or use a Avondale style power amp. It's a great match - don't know what older combinations you've heard though? I'd have thought the Sudgen was out of it's depth tbh.

Dynavector also but that's potentially a costly option.

If you are digital only, you could do what I did and do away with a preamp so save £££ on the switch.

Where are you as if local to me (Sussex), I could show you what my power amp does?

Hmm, might as well have asked the question "Are you a Naim fan/owner or not?".

Perhaps I should pop over and hear your system sooner rather than later!

As I reduced the Naim items in my system the sound improved, and the need for upgrades also diminished.

Starfish into Hackernaps and Arcs.

Pete

I have recently been using a pair of Shahinian compasses with a Sonneteer Orton and a Croft 25R/7R combo.
Both sets of amps are superb with the Compasses. Would highly recommend either - especially the Crofts - over similarly priced naim amps.

not heard either amp with the speakers , I would only change if the sugden does not have enough punch for the arcs as it is the nicer amp imo

The Sugden is 23W Class A and although the series 2 does have a more powerful PSU than the original not sure if it has enough grunt for the Arcs.

The only part of the comb I've heard is the Arcs and they're definitely good.

When I heard them being good they were on the end of a CDS2/52/250 so perhaps that's what you need?

I've currently got a Sugden A21a Series 2 with shahinian Arcs but am being tempted to go back to naim again in the form of the NAC 152 XS / NAP 155 XS combo.

Should also add I previously had a Naim 202/200/Hicap system and liked the sound of the black kit but not the older chrome bumper / olive stuff.

Given the choice what would you choose between the two combos?

Good evening! You have an interesting dilemma! I resisted Naim equipment for years & had Musical Fidelity, Consonance 300B valves & an exotic 47 Laboratories amplifier before taking the plunge! Since then, I've been through Nait 5i, NAC112, NAC122x, NAP150x and now NAC252, SuperCap DR & NAP250.2... The ProAc Response 1SCs are working superbly in my smaller listening room & I doubt I'll ever stop using Naim electronics! ;)

How big is your room and why would you downgrade from a 202/200 to a 152/155 combo?

Have you considered a Densen?

advertisement

Back