advertisement

That box swapping itch.

What combo would you choose?

• Sugden A21a Series 2 / Shahinian Arcs

Votes: 25 51.0%
  • Naim NAC152XS & NAP155XS / Shahinian Arcs

Votes: 24 49.0%

• Total voters
I drove my Arcs with an 47 Labs Shigaraki for quite a while, very successfully. Contrary to popular belief, Shahinian aren't nightmare to drive. They prefer a bit of current, sure, and at higher volumes a big amp obviously reaps benefits but if family-friendly listening levels are adequate and your room isn't massive then a comparatively small but high-quality amp will do just fine.

Sugden are fabulous amps IMO and really nice people too - I had a tour around the factory about a decade ago when a friend got his original A21 serviced. A proper old-school UK audio company.

I'm sure the Sugden will sound good, but as has been mentioned earlier, the Dynavector amp / Shahinian is said to be a match made in heaven. And used Dynavectors do come along now & then - worth watching out for. ;)

What about the Rega Elex-R it has 90W into 6 ohms and I really liked the Brio-r I had previously.

The other option I found after Densen was suggested is the B-110 but suspect I will have to buy that new as I can't find any secondhand.

Rega Elex-R
Densen B-110
Exposure 3010s2

Electrocompaniet are good, and in fact I picked mine over the Densen. If I can throw in a wild card, the more expensive Marantz amps from the 15s2 up are pretty good.

A good thing too.

TBL, one one the best sounds I've heard was at Phonography, Phil March did a killer dem with Arcs driven by Dynavector amps, it took the Flat Earth approach to the pinnacle.

Pretty expensive though!

A good thing too.

TBL, one one the best sounds I've heard was at Phonography, Phil March did a killer dem with Arcs driven by Dynavector amps, it took the Flat Earth approach to the pinnacle.

Pretty expensive though!

Assuming that was at Belmore Court, that was probably the same setup that inspired me to home dem, then buy, Arcs, DV power amp, and then, erm, DV pre-amp....

I was lucky to pick up a used HX75, though.

The only part of the comb I've heard is the Arcs and they're definitely good.

When I heard them being good they were on the end of a CDS2/52/250 so perhaps that's what you need?

My set up was exactly that but with NCC 200 boards in the 250. Presentation was very good.
I am just coming to the end of my first week with a Teddy Pre/Power(100w) combination. Light-years of improvement to the whole presentation. Vinyl is just jaw droppingly good with musical interplay happening that I had never heard before on a lot of my recordings. The new Jack White is lso very pleasing shall I say. The CDS II presentation is now superior in my opinion (old mans memory though) to that of my old LP12/Ekos/Troika. Its a real eye opener. All this and its not properly burned in yet so possible improvements to come. I now feel that I have realised a lot of the potential of the Arcs performance and very satisfying it is. Smiley boy here.

Assuming that was at Belmore Court, that was probably the same setup that inspired me to home dem, then buy, Arcs, DV power amp, and then, erm, DV pre-amp....

I was lucky to pick up a used HX75, though.

It was indeed, I used to love that place.

advertisement

Back