advertisement

Tesco

I mean I have nothing against hellmans particularly, its just that 3-4 quid for a tiny tub of mayo is egregious when you goto main tesco or anywhere else and they well sell you twice the amount for a quid.

Back in the eighties we had proper convenience stores with a grocer man in a brown dust coat.

I could run across the road, get milk for my tea and get back before the kettle bolied.

And pick up the odd carrot for my dinner.
My dad and mum were those people you describe, sadly wiped out by the miners strike and the proliferation of supermarkets. I loved growing up at their shop in its heyday.

I mean I have nothing against hellmans particularly, its just that 3-4 quid for a tiny tub of mayo is egregious when you goto main tesco or anywhere else and they well sell you twice the amount for a quid.
Nobody is forced to buy mayo whatever the price, it`s entirely discretionary.

Is it not possible for a neighbour to get her messages/shopping?
Yeah sure, she doesn’t starve. I was originally responding to Mick’s assertion that if we don’t like the high prices charged by convenience stores, we can simply hop in our cars to out of town shopping centres.

T
I quite like Tesco, and their business model is very clever. Here In SW Scotland we have an Aldi, a Lidl and 2 Tesco (+ various smaller). Either Aldi or Lidl are far cheaper, but the quality is not clear cut. Tesco 'finest' are very good indeed, but Lidl 'deluxe' even better. Basic stuff is roughly Aldi then Lidl then Tesco so we just shop at all 3 depending on what we want but
before Covid, out weekly shop averaged out around £60. Now it's over £100.
Really must ease off the navy rum:)

They are very clever with cash flow, when the customer buys product they pay immediately but as suppliers we get paid at 90 or 60 days.

We've now paid for most of the big growing costs for this year's potatoes and onions but still haven't been paid for some of last year's potatoes.

TBF Tesco are one of the better customers.

Reactions: PsB
I’m surprised how easy it was to make with a hand held whizzer just with an egg yolk, mustard, oil, lemon. Tasted great

Yes I have a dohicky as well, tall thin jar, egg yolk, vinager, mustard start and then literaly pour in oil whilst raising the device as quickly as you can.
Shame the oil and eggs are so damned expensive in tescos lol.

advertisement

Back