advertisement

Tesco

In fairness to those places they wont be posting profits of billions of pounds, over 4 times what they earned last year will they? They are probably hanging on by a string because of Tesco et all, (and our willingness to use them)
True, my post was meant to be a bit tounge in cheek. To be fair, these days they're not nearly as bad as they used to be. 20-30 years ago their prices were ridiculous, but back then the supermarkets would close around 6-8pm, so if you were caught out for milk etc you had no choice but to go to them.

The big stores arnt exactly cheap either
Come off it. Food in the UK is for nothing. Go to Europe and have a look round for comparison.
I can go to any supermarket and buy a £4-5 chicken, big bags of veg for 50p and £1 a bag, it's dirt cheap. Jamie is on the TV every week showing us how to knock up a dinner for £1 a head. Yet another chicken and veg pie served with potatoes, yet another shepherd's pie, carrots at 60p a kg, celery 60p a head, cabbage and swede the same. Milk £1.60 for 4 pints. That's cheaper than branded water. Bored with chicken? Get some pork. Standard chops are not much more expensive than chicken, and it's all wholesome nutritious food dished up with a pile of veg. Make custard or milk puddings with the milk at 40p a pint and knock up a fruit crumble for 50p a serving. You've worked as a chef, you know this stuff takes minutes, and it costs next to nothing. Remember min wage now is better than £10 ph, and you can still knock up a decent meal for £1 every night of the week. That's 6 minutes labour, before tax. It could barely be cheaper if it were free.

I feel like more now than ever though Tesco should be taking things a whole, they made 2b that’s ok, no doubt the shareholders will have a glass of bubbly.

Stop screwing people over. The big stores arnt exactly cheap either
I don`t really feel that £2.3bn profit is excessive on sales of 68.2bn, a little under 3.5%, what would be a "fair" percentage?

I`m a bit with Mick on this to be honest (except for the assumption that everybody can just drive to somewhere cheaper, obviously)

Agree, it's a big business, also profit doesn't always mean a big heap of cash somewhere.

They play a big part in making your food dirt cheap, £2-67 per kg for fresh chicken, £0-69 for a head of celery, £6-00 per kg for pork loin.

Ridiculously cheap food on the back of all of us up the line scraping round for efficiency; you can go off piste and buy expensive food but the basics are fantastic value.

We've had a quality assurance inspection this week and i doubt many countries in the world are as tightly monitored.

Red Tractor, GRASP, LEAF etc, acronyms still running round my grey cells.

I'm not sure anyone is objecting to Tesco making a profit. It's more the sob story we had from them last year that times were tough and they were having to jack up the prices... immediately followed by them posting record profits.

It's not their fault that we've experienced a period of high inflation, static wages, increasing job insecurity and more people than ever finding themselves having to rely on food banks to feed their family. But you can understand why not everyone is reaching for the party poppers.

I don`t really feel that £2.3bn profit is excessive on sales of 68.2bn, a little under 3.5%, what would be a "fair" percentage?

I`m a bit with Mick on this to be honest (except for the assumption that everybody can just drive to somewhere cheaper, obviously)
Reminds me of a company I once worked for. The sales people got a commission of 2% on the sales they made. The CEO was perfectly happy with that level of commission until the point that the best 3 sales people were making so much in the way of sales that they started being able to afford more expensive cars than him, at which point he changed their commission to 1% so they wouldn't earn as much. That's the mentality of some people, he was totally happy with the company making 98% of the money until the absolute values got to a point that he didn't like his "value" being challenged.

It was the same with when BT was making £100 a second revenue back in the 90's. It was all over the papers as some huge rip off etc and how something should be done about it. Nobody stopped to think that BT had over 20million customers at the time and that it equated to only £160 a year per customer (and it wasn't that much as Business would be paying a lot more than the residential customers so the average wasn't applicable).

Reminds me of a company I once worked for. The sales people got a commission of 2% on the sales they made. The CEO was perfectly happy with that level of commission until the point that the best 3 sales people were making so much in the way of sales that they started being able to afford more expensive cars than him, at which point he changed their commission to 1% so they wouldn't earn as much. That's the mentality of some people, he was totally happy with the company making 98% of the money until the absolute values got to a point that he didn't like his "value" being challenged.
Ha! Straying off topic but I know someone this happened to as well. Absolutely bizarre - you'd think they'd be overjoyed the sales peeps were shifting so much gear and bringing in so much cash to the firm.

Reactions: gez
Cars are rather emotive. I know of one place that back in the 90s allowed a lower spec Jag onto the middle managers company car list. That soon changed when the MD saw all the Jags arriving. He soon had them back in Mondeos and 3 series so that his wheels were still the best looking in the car park. Similarly I've a mate who, like me, works in food manufacturing as a consultant, in his case engineering projects. One place had a few in and someone saw fit to spend his money on a 911 that he proudly showed up in. The reaction? MD saw it and exploded, with rants about "how much these f***ing consultants are ripping me off, bastards" and fired them all. My mate was well hacked off. It's one reason why I run older cars (other than simply being tight). Nobody's getting jealous.

I was in a company where the exact same thing happened: the star salesman with all the best key accounts was on commission and ended up making more than the president, who in contrast to his more robust predecessor was a dour, thin-skinned chap. The salesman mysteriously found himself on the next redundancy list a year or two later. The group lost its best salesman, and fairly soon after that started bleeding market share to competitors. It seems this salesman wasn't just picking up orders and was probably worth his fat commission payments. The president was dumped a few years later, but the damage was done.

Back OT: Nobody has ever confused Tesco with a charity*, but they're still at the top of their industry in the UK, and they made 3.8% operational profit on sales in 2023**, or 2.3% after adjustments and before paying tax etc. That does not leave a lot of margin for error or strike me as outrageous for a £65 billion business. Their £750 million in adj. profit after tax was a 6% return on equity (12 billion) that year. They took a one-time hit on profits in FY2023 and the recovery in profit in the numbers they just announced reflect that too.

(* I used to hate the way they squeezed us as a supplier but had to recognize their buying competence)
** 12 months ended Feb 2023

Cars are rather emotive. I know of one place that back in the 90s allowed a lower spec Jag onto the middle managers company car list. That soon changed when the MD saw all the Jags arriving. He soon had them back in Mondeos and 3 series so that his wheels were still the best looking in the car park. Similarly I've a mate who, like me, works in food manufacturing as a consultant, in his case engineering projects. One place had a few in and someone saw fit to spend his money on a 911 that he proudly showed up in. The reaction? MD saw it and exploded, with rants about "how much these f***ing consultants are ripping me off, bastards" and fired them all. My mate was well hacked off. It's one reason why I run older cars (other than simply being tight). Nobody's getting jealous.
When my Dad started his engineering firm years ago he used to visit customers in a sensible car because he'd heard the comments about "generous margins" made after sales peeps arrived in a flash motor. He still drives a Mondeo : )

When my Dad started his engineering firm years ago he used to visit customers in a sensible car because he'd heard the comments about "generous margins" made after sales peeps arrived in a flash motor. He still drives a Mondeo : )
It still happens. I've a mate who is SD for a fish firm. Last month he told me a tale where a couple of years ago he had a VW Passat estate, a nice car but nothing excessive. He went to see a customer for an annual price review with the usual "terribly sorry, prices are rising, operating costs, raw materials, blah blah" and the buyer looked out at the car and said "You can FO, you come here in a £30 grand car and want me to pay for it? No chance." Off he went. A month later he's in again, except this time he shows up on a bike, having parked the car in the supermarket around the corner. Parked the bike right in the middle of Reception. The buyer did his usual routine, where's your car? I haven't got a car, I'm on a bike. Told you times were hard. Bugger off, you're not on a bike. Yes I am. Look, there it is in Reception. When the buyer had finished calling him a cheeky bas**rd he agreed the new prices. Sometimes it's just a game.

Mick p . Your a dieing breed. Thats as best as i can type without getting into bother.
Simple economics dictate that a small shop will have to charge more than a large one. If Tescos shut down the small shops, then the moans would be about leaving local communities in the lurch. They just can't win.

Come off it. Food in the UK is for nothing. Go to Europe and have a look round for comparison.
I can go to any supermarket and buy a £4-5 chicken, big bags of veg for 50p and £1 a bag, it's dirt cheap. Jamie is on the TV every week showing us how to knock up a dinner for £1 a head. Yet another chicken and veg pie served with potatoes, yet another shepherd's pie, carrots at 60p a kg, celery 60p a head, cabbage and swede the same. Milk £1.60 for 4 pints. That's cheaper than branded water. Bored with chicken? Get some pork. Standard chops are not much more expensive than chicken, and it's all wholesome nutritious food dished up with a pile of veg. Make custard or milk puddings with the milk at 40p a pint and knock up a fruit crumble for 50p a serving. You've worked as a chef, you know this stuff takes minutes, and it costs next to nothing. Remember min wage now is better than £10 ph, and you can still knock up a decent meal for £1 every night of the week. That's 6 minutes labour, before tax. It could barely be cheaper if it were free.
I’m not sure about food being expensive elsewhere. I’m in France at the moment and you can get a fresh massive lettuce for the equivalent of £1.20 which lasts for days and a store baked standard baguette is just 65p. Even bacon (lard fumee) from the local butcher is so much better. Maybe a bit more per kilo but once cooked it stays the same size and doesnt shed twice its weight in water. There does seem a lot of things at home we get ripped off on. Celery may be cheap but its so stringy and pale with no flavour. Hence people end up eating Ultra Processed Food with manufactured flavour and full of stuff that’s no good for you. It’s much easier to “eat the rainbow” here in France and at the local restaurant you can get a three course menu plus coffee for £15 a head. I live in Jeremy Hunt's constituency where fish and chips in a pub is approaching £20 and the chips are frozen and the "pea puree" has no flavour. Quel domage as they say

The two most consistently successful retailers (Tesco & Next) are masters of first party data; they understand their customers needs.

We are pretty lucky in this country to have such a competitive supermarket sector; our food supply pretty much depends upon them.

Thankfully they have started to pay their staff better also.

advertisement

Back