advertisement

Tesco

garyi

leave blank
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68776913

I don't tend to get to het up about news, it all seems rather pointless but I do live very close to a Tesco Express.

The reality is I am lazy so when needed I pop round there. I am going to train myself to stop.

The prices are simply astronomical. They could put some of their own brand stuff in there, but cynically chose only to put main brands in. Such as 750ml of 'crisp and dry' oil for £3.15 or 6 eggs for 3.25. They have 5 types of mayonnaise all of them hellmans etc.

Everything round there is super expensive. They arn't doing anything to help customers and the profits are not only gross, they are foul! I suspect the express stores in particular due to convenience are the main gouge for Tesco, and they limply stick out a few cheap carrots at the end of the isle in the big store and claim they are helping.

Shysters.

I don't tend to get to het up about news, it all seems rather pointless but I do live very close to a Tesco Express.

We have a small Tesco express in kirkcudbright (Galloway) along with an even smaller Co-op and the prices are extortionate compared to the large Tesco 10 miles away in Castle Douglas, it’s unfortunate as not everyone has a car to travel nor is able to shop online.

Sainsbury here seem to add 10% in their local store compared with the larger one a mile away but you pay for the convenience, clues in the name really.

Also small stores need a disproportionate amount of security, ours was robbed last night.

If anyone cares to look at the detailed Tesco figures, they are actually making less money, in terms of %. They beat Aldi and Lidl in terms favourable to the shopper.

As for brands v own brands. There is only one person to blame for that.........................

All covered in quite some detail early this morning on R4.

Ah but a 'brace' of Tesco broccoli might be all of 82p, but you can repair very high end cd players with it.

Can't at Morrisons, because they only come in single-stalk variety.

Capt

Tesco Express were far cheaper when they were first introduced.

With the exception of some products where they are very competitive (i.e. meal deals), prices have seriously ramped up. As has been said, they sell branded products in usually small sizes for excessive amounts of money.

Classic business model. Undercut and wipe out a load of the competition. Then ramp up prices!

I have a Tesco Express downstairs in Kensington. I haven't noticed higher prices, just a rather odd selection of items which clearly need to be sold off.

Back in the eighties we had proper convenience stores with a grocer man in a brown dust coat.

I could run across the road, get milk for my tea and get back before the kettle bolied.

And pick up the odd carrot for my dinner.

Are these stores franchises? If so, they’ll jack up the prices just like they do at the stores you get at service stations, where prices are also extortionate

You think Tesco or Sainsbury's are bad, try one of the local grocery/newsagent/convenience shops, that most areas have (at least in london) and then you'll see rip off "convenience" prices, and half the time the "fresh" produce is only a couple of days to it's use by date (or even past it).

You think Tesco or Sainsbury's are bad, try one of the local grocery/newsagent/convenience shops, that most areas have (at least in london) and then you'll see rip off "convenience" prices, and half the time the "fresh" produce is only a couple of days to it's use by date (or even past it).
In fairness to those places they wont be posting profits of billions of pounds, over 4 times what they earned last year will they? They are probably hanging on by a string because of Tesco et all, (and our willingness to use them)

Indeed and their owners all drive bloody Porches, have dCs stacks and spend half the year in their pad in Monaco.

Someone should do something about it.

.sjb

C-store Tesco etc can never offer the same prices as the superstores because they can't enjoy the same economies of scale. The rents are a greater proportion of sales, as are wages. In C stores you have to have people standing around, just in case a customer walks in. In a superstore that's never the case, you will always have one person actually putting stuff through a till. More customers? Open another till. Fewer customers? Close a till and get that person stacking shelves or sorting out in the warehouse or picking orders for home delivery. There's less wasted labour.

Nobody is making much of a living out of me buying a bottle of milk and a loaf because I've run out. They make a living out of me buying the weekly shop.

For those who don’t have a cheaper choice without travel or mobility they do lose out but the C vs Super model isn’t a surprising one I guess. Those of us who find going to big stores mind numbing will pay the price for a few bits. I guess if the supermarkets really cared they could introduce discounts for those that are genuinely prejudiced by it all but maybe that exists already and I’m just ignorant of them and out of touch.

If you take the trouble to drive to an out of town centre shop, everything is cheap.

If you take a walk down to a small shop, you can expect small shop prices.

It's your choice.

Is that so difficult to understand or is it a case of moaning for the sake of it.

C-store Tesco etc can never offer the same prices as the superstores because they can't enjoy the same economies of scale. The rents are a greater proportion of sales, as are wages. In C stores you have to have people standing around, just in case a customer walks in. In a superstore that's never the case, you will always have one person actually putting stuff through a till. More customers? Open another till. Fewer customers? Close a till and get that person stacking shelves or sorting out in the warehouse or picking orders for home delivery. There's less wasted labour.

Nobody is making much of a living out of me buying a bottle of milk and a loaf because I've run out. They make a living out of me buying the weekly shop.
I feel like more now than ever though Tesco should be taking things a whole, they made 2b that’s ok, no doubt the shareholders will have a glass of bubbly.

Stop screwing people over. The big stores arnt exactly cheap either

advertisement

Back