advertisement

Tenson's DAC Bake-Off (09/02/2013)

You're a star, jkeny! You should be blushing, because you've done it again!.

You have to admit, though, such a simple entrapment served you right. Anyway, back on topic, all, please. I'd hate Tenson to have to start another thread ...

All those people claiming they hear differences are becoming very tiring. I 've also heard heard differences..until I properly tested things.

Oldius

As an alternative to the unsolicited advice givers here have a look at this thread on the Wam (if you can link to other forums) thread What DAC for 2013 I am looking for something to take music from my MacBook Pro and iPhone to my system or more, so like you want some judgements/opinions I can trust (they think like me). Unlike here the contributors are good humoured and free from jibes and lecturing others, most refreshing. It is helping me put a look further list together, I hope it helps make you make your mind up. The one thing that gets repeated is how small/subtle differences are at and below the £500 price point. Those Wammers seem to share the opinions of the average Fisher. No trade or would be experts contributing. Best of luck deciding.
<snip>
That's harsh. Yes, my advice was unsolicited but I think my advice to Oldius was fairly harmless and certainly isn't lecturing, I'm not suggesting he buy anything and I have no view on whether he will or will not hear differences between dacs, just that he should get a home loan of something and try it in his own system regardless of the reported outcome of Simon's dac test.

Oldius

John/Steve have you considered that as a Professional/would be Semi-pro person your ability to hear difference is highly developed. Like a sports man who instinctively reaches and catches a ball the none sport persons just ignores let alone catches, finely tuned by practice. Unless someone puts the effort in that you have to develop their ears they will not hear things as you do so so don't berate people for not being like you, it just shows what, your lack of understanding of others? Have a Happy New Year and give a happy one to others.

That made me spit my glass of Beaumes de Venise out! Wonderful post. Happy New Year to You too!

All those people claiming they hear differences are becoming very tiring. I 've also heard heard differences..until I properly tested things.

Oh, so you are saying that anybody who hears a difference between a NOS Metrum & other DACs is deluded? I thought you were interested in logic? But you're happy, that's the main thing or are you? Seems to me that you make these declarations so often in an attempt to convince yourself & have posted looking for validation. I'm afraid your system, ears or mind is at fault, that unfortunately, is the reality. Hopefully, you will discover that some day if you are open to this discovery.

jkeny, to help us lesser mortals, could you bold the bits where seranil wrote what you seem to think he wrote?

That's harsh. Yes, my advice was unsolicited but I think my advice to Oldius was fairly harmless and certainly isn't lecturing, I'm not suggesting he buy anything and I have no view on whether he will or will not hear differences between dacs, just that he should get a home loan of something and try it in his own system regardless of the reported outcome of Simon's dac test.

Snip was your mistake. You took the cap and found it didnt fit. It doesnt fit.

Oh, so you are saying that anybody who hears a difference between a NOS Metrum & other DACs is deluded? I thought you were interested in logic? But you're happy, that's the main thing or are you? Seems to me that you make these declarations so often in an attempt to convince yourself & have posted looking for validation. I'm afraid your system, ears or mind is at fault, that unfortunately, is the reality. Hopefully, you will discover that some day if you are open to this discovery.
I am not ashamed to admit I was deluded and a fool for going through five DACs in less than a year. But yes!, I feel better now , and I sincerely wish you and everybody else could feel the same. ;)
That the only reason why I bother replying to your posts.

Thanks Seranil, it's good that you are happy that DACs sound the same. You must then feel sorry for those attending Tenson's meeting as, in your opinion, they are wasting their time?

Interesting. So how did you come to that conclusion? Can you detail a bit more your methodology?
PS: When my mate dropped his Dacmagic, I swapped my MDAC for the Dacmagic and really like its analogue sound although I was convinced it was not as detailed as the MDAC.
Sadly proper testing seem to suggest I was the victim of expectation bias.

The Metrum and the MDAC connected to the amplifier, at the same time, changing sources. Swapped transports and cables.
The differencies between them were the same, no matter which transport or cable or input.
Three people had the same impression.

As for the DacMagic, I own both it and the Metrum and have heard them for a long time.

Differencies between these dacs are more or less obvious depending on the various tracks of music

If you have any suggestions for the comparison, please let me know

Thanks Kiriak,
I do wonder if using speakers might amplify any minute differences ?
So you are confident you would be able to tell them apart if you didn't know which one was on?

Thanks Seranil, it's good that you are happy that DACs sound the same. You must then feel sorry for those attending Tenson's meeting as, in your opinion, they are wasting their time?

Such experiment is never a waste of time as it is the only way to convince people whether there is a difference or not.
I wouldn't dare to extrapolate from my small test that all dacs sound the same but I suspect with today technology it is quite easy and cheap to build an absolutely transparent DAC. Of course it is as easy for manufacturers to design one that sound different if they want to.

Thanks Kiriak,
I do wonder if using speakers might amplify any minute differences ?
Aha, now you are asking interesting questions - it shows you are not beyond redemption :) Follow this train of thought & do some experiments to find out the answer - it might be worth your while. Don't listen to what anyone tells you, including me, why should you?

The answer of course is NO.

Speakers will only cause distortion and serve to hide genuine differences.

I'm sure Seranil will make up his own mind about this (as I predicted, Seranil, don't listen to anybody - especially those who tell you not to bother). Speakers have advantages as do headphones - there are well known differences between both types of transducer reproduction. It is always best to use BOTH to evaluate DACs

advertisement

Back