advertisement

TeddyReg voltage set help please?

just for me....if you wire the dual secondary arrangement wrongly you will end up with a half wave rectifier and a none working rectifier.

i must admit that when making my own supplies I will stick with full wave bridge rectification as it's easier on my brain. It's much easier and works for me.

I still haven't found why full wave centre is "better". Acoustica suggests less ground impedence, and twisted pair doesn't mention centre tapped for single voltages. The AVEL transformers they use have the same wiring as does mine.

The final question... why do naim use a four terminal four diode rectifier?

I cannot answer the why, but I can confirm it sounds better. When I first built my dual 24v Naim pre PSU (ALWSR based) I used one dual secondary transformer and 2 (ex-Naim) bridge rectifiers. After a few months I added a second dual-secondary transformer and reconfigured for centre-tap and full wave rectification. I was surprised at how audible the improvement was.

I was using the same Naim bridge rectifier packages, but only using 2 rather than 4 junctions - I assume reduced switching noise (in the ground return path)?

Later I swapped the Naim rectifiers for some Schottky diodes, another audible improvement.

Assuming you have a spare transformer it is easy enough to try (although not so easy to find space for inside your enclosure - not a problem for me, as mine is still mounted on a piece of chip board 4 or 5 years after being built :)).

Richard

Excellent Neil, thanks for this, it works well!

Perhaps the mods will move it to the Reference forum.

malcolm

advertisement

Back