advertisement

TeddyCap clone on ebay

Blimey, I can't believe I've only just read this thread! The problem, it seems to me, is that a number of subtly differing issues are being discussed simultaneously and, therefore, it is difficult to come to a holistic conclusion.

As far as I can see (though I freely admit to no experience in this area) the supply’s made by 'biskit a', prior to his Teddycap clone, did not use Teddyregs (please feel free to correct this statement though). If this is true I don't see how they can be classed as copies; no more than a Teddycap is a copy of a Hi-Cap - they both do the same thing (essentially) but in differing ways.

Prior to this thread I don't recall anybody posting any claims that the Teddyregs were not (essentially) the intellectual property of Teddy Pardo - this is a separate issue. Certainly, as Teddy states, the recent group buy was authorised on the premise that they would not be used for commercial gain.

The value for money issue is another one altogether. The whole problem is that 'value for money' is very much dependent on the buyer and is entirely a subjective issue. As an example, let us consider the recent NJ 321 and 729 boards; these are professionally laid out and made and I 'purchased' fully built ones from Flatpopely (beers this weekend mate) for very little over the cost of the bits - essentially, zero profit. By any standards (that I know off) this is 'good value for money' but it is not a commercial reality (not that Flatpopely ever thought it was). If these boards were sold by Naim, as an upgrade, they would certainly have to cost very much more (quite probably 5X). Andrew (Flatpopely) already has a business so these boards did not have to pay the rent, his mortgage, his living expenses, his profit, cost of maintaining the production facility, cost of equipment, staff costs, pension costs, marketing costs, dealer mark-up etc. He simply looked at the raw cost of the bits (to him) and added a few quid to make sure he didn't end up making a loss on them.

'biscit a' feels that a 'Teddycap' is poor value for money and by the standards of the NJ321/729 boards it is. However, Teddy is not making a couple for enthusiast mates; he is making them to sell for profit (he does not claim otherwise). If you look inside a Hi-Cap you see a rather nice case, a big transformer, a couple of big capacitors and about a dozen resistors etc. - certainly the raw cost of these bits is absolutely nothing like the retail price of the finished unit. Yet, for many, the sonic result makes it 'good value for money'. If we now consider the Teddycap we see an 'off the shelf' plastic case', a medium sized transformer, a small bank of capacitors and a handful of resistors etc. Certainly the cost of these bits is also very much less than the retail price of this unit. However, it is also approximately half the price of a Hi-Cap; if some (not necessarily us) are happy with the performance/price ratio of a Hi-Cap then what does that mean for the 'value for money' of a Teddycap, irrespective of the profit to component cost ratio?

Very well put. I agree totally.

Also,

To Andy,

I think you were wrong to break the conditions of the Teddyreg PCB group buy to bait Teddy into an argument.

Why didn't you start a thread yourself to discuss the subject of 'what is a clone'? It's an interesting topic and I'm sure it would have gotten a good response.

Hi-Fi pricing has been done to death on PFM lately but I think it's a separate issue.

Ian.

Guess that was what my point would have been Ian....seems a very odd way to kick off a discussion on a discussion board...:confused:
If it was baiting then it should never have been done & better to keep it to private e-mail discussions via Teddy's openly available e-mail account (I'll get my spammer running now...)

No matter what, we all agreed to not use these for profit in this way so if it was 'just to kick off' the discussion, might I suggest that profits be sent to Tony for keeping this board & these discussions alive.

As for the apparent slagging match on ebay.......maybe the best thing for that is a good old round of apologies & let it lie.

I'll get me coat,

J

"I think you were wrong to break the conditions of the Teddyreg PCB group buy to bait Teddy into an argument."

I have agreed with the above and said sorry to all.

teddy as you know i have bought one of these i am still very happy with it.. Keep sharing and building you and les do a lot of good work you should be proud of it

So, erm, to return to a key questions ... what is a clone then? When is it, and when is it not? What's OK and what is not? What's OK and collegiate and what is not?

Thats exactly what I would like to know but I dont know if there is an answer because every power supply is going to contain something that is in another some where in the world.

ok my personal feeling is 1 the original promise was broken..2 people like teddy and les w spend a lot of there own money and time to develop this gear.. They share there ideas and help us on our way lets not abuse it . Im sure an apology will set things straight

I'm afraid that we fall into biskit_a's trap. He is trying to move the discussion from his behaviour and acts to questions like "what is a clone?", as if it's not obvious wrt what he did, and as if everything he did was in order to save humanity and raise this philosophical debate (strange way to raise a debate, if we really believe him...). It's somehow like a thief that when caught raises a philosophical debate that everything belongs to god, and no one should own anything...

IMO, he is looking for people to give him legitimation for his actions... when enough people will talk at the end there will be someone that will fall into the trap and provide that.

If anyone is interested in this philosophical debate, please open an independent thread.

If nothing else, biskit_a has acted like a vendor, and I feel he should pay Tony the going rate for a trade membership.

This is very complex and clearly has a complicated history. It does need sorting out and I think biskit_a should take the lead on this with Teddy. Teddy, this is the last time i will say this, but your development and willingness to share is very important!

What does Tony reckon to these complicated issues?

I have to say that I agree with Teddy (and others) when he writes that the selling of a clone on eBay is a strange way of raising debate. Indeed, if it were not for this thread by Teddy himself, I doubt that many of us (certainly not me) would even be aware of this 'debate raising' issue. I'm afraid that when Teddy writes "It's somehow like a thief that when caught raises a philosophical debate that everything belongs to god, and no one should own anything... " it may sound harsh but he is, essentially, correct.

My moral compass is fine thanks. According to Teddy I am the rip off merchant?

I used one set of teddyreg boards in one power supply in order to get this discussion going and allot of things out in the domain for all to have a say.

QUOTE]

Seems to me like your moral compass is well and truly shagged, just explain to us all again the justification for selling a commercial product based on a design and layout that was shared with us all on the basis that it would not be used for those purposes.

AT least if you don't have the decency to apologise to Teddy to and Neil you can start by apologising to everyone else, who's future DIY projects you have put at risk.

If you wnated to started a discussion you have an entire forum here you could have used for those purposes. SO don't come that bullshit.

The point, to me, is that Teddy designed this himself, albeit with input from PFMers. The design is out there and anyone is free to build them. A group buy was organised, which in the spirit of PFM and Teddy's generosity in sharing his ideas, gave anyone who wanted the chance to make as many Teddyregs as they like for their own use.

Teddy has been selling them on ebay, and I'm pretty sure we all knew that and good luck to him. It just doesn't seem right for someone to come along and take his design and set up in competition. Ok its not against the law. In fact quite a few people on here a building Naim clones from China, which is not too dissimilar IMO. But, biskit_a, its just not cricket.

I know that I am in the wrong to a certain degree by putting a complete Teddycap on ebay yesterday but then so is Teddy in the wrong and thats the crux of the matter.

Basic thievery dressed in vacant justifications- AND NOTHING but biskit_a: you're a right rotter no question about it. After all the help & ideas Teddy shares the last thing I would consider is ripping off his ideas and selling for a massive profit -and so baltently with the boards too- & your 'reasoning' aftyerwards is utterly lame: you should be ashamed of y'self.

I cant believe all of this arguing, this is just a crazy waste of time. My personnal opinion for what its worth is:

1) They are both too expensive (when sold at their full prices)
2) No one owns bugger all, once unleashed on tinternet that was that but ...
3) OK its maybe not sporting, which might lead us to No4 ..
4) Think about how some of our favourite vendors started out - and Im glad he did ;)

I could go on, but this isnt very productive, except ... I'm quite happy to do a review of the two if i get to keep them ;)

Peace!

Basic thievery dressed in vacant justifications- AND NOTHING but biskit_a: you're a right rotter no question about it. After all the help & ideas Teddy shares the last thing I would consider is ripping off his ideas and selling for a massive profit -and so baltently with the boards too- & your 'reasoning' aftyerwards is utterly lame: you should be ashamed of y'self.

Selling for a masive profit at £200? If thats the case what profit was being made at £485 for a single or £895 for a double. Oh yes I forgot, teddycaps are never offered on ebay via buy it now are they.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=110257819115&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

My troubles started when the price for a double teddycap bombed on ebay.

Nite Nite

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The buy-it-now listing to which you refer above was canceled by me before it ended, and as I mentioned previously I didn't sell any TeddyCap through buy-it-now. But OTOH people paid higher prices than that through normal auctions and they are happy.

Dear biskit_a, I'll tell you a secret. I've already sold software that I developed for over $10,000 a copy and they were burnt on a CD that costs half a dollar. But please don't reveal this secret to the customer as he still believes that he paid for the cost of the CD. Fortunately you were not there at the time as I assume you would have copied it and offered it for 200 pound, and pretend that you do it as a service to the community.

Your troubles started when you saw that people are willing to pay high prices for the TeddyCap and you thought that here's an opportunity for you to make a nice profit by stealing the design and cutting the price. You have crossed many lines, and the last one was just the worst of them. Your troubles are not related to me, they are related to the fact that your moral compass shows a different direction.

Teddy

I put a complete clone of a teddycap on ebay because I felt that it was the only way for me to start this debate.

What complete bollocks. If you wanted to start a debate, you could have started a thread right here on PFM, but you didn't. There was no mention of "debate" on your eBay ad.

If you wanted to use TeddyRegs in a designed-to-be-sold (aka. "commercial") design, you should have asked Teddy's permission first. He explicitly and publicly stated that the PCBs were for non-commercial use. You bought them knowing that, and still decided to sell a product based on them. That's dishonest.

The above two points are why Teddy says your moral compass is misaligned, and I agree. Why? First you took his boards and ignored his express wish that they not be used in a commercial design, and second you're trying to cover it up with disingenuous comments. If you'd come out and said something like "Sorry I ****ed up, how about I donate the profits to Teddy or Tony's PFM fund" then perhaps the majority opinion would be that your actions were not completely self-centered; now however, you've no chance. You're simply trying to cover up dishonesty with further dishonesty. You're not a politician by any chance, are you?

advertisement

Back