advertisement

Teddy Pardo Phono stage

I've now had the correct plugs for about 5 days and I'm almost ready to declare I 'heart' Teddy Pardo* :)

When I first got the PS, it sounded very different to my Trichord Dino but not necessarily better. It was certainly warmer, but that was about all I could tell. In fact, for the first couple of records, it didn't sound that good although that might have been down to a rogue bit of fluff. I don't know whether my ears and mind have simply acclimatised to the sound or the electronics have been broken in, or maybe a bit of both, but the Teddy Pardo PS has really grown on me and I think I can sum it up in two words: warm and exciting!

The warmth pervades every piece of music that's played and makes me want to play louder and longer and unlike some 'warm' hifi, there's no diminished sense of excitement. I just listened to Crime of the Century (Mobilie Fidelity) and the drama inherent in that album came through in spades. Admittedly my Kans (and Nait XS) will have play a part in that, but the PS didn't seem to slow or borify the drama.

I'll probably connect the Dino back up for a final comparison in a few days' time, but there's a part of me that thinks I shouldn't because doing so means I can't listen to music via the Teddy PS! Anyway, I now know what the TP sound is and I like it and absolutely can't wait for my pre/ power combo to arrive. If Teddy ever makes speakers, put me down for a pair :)

p.s. anyone wanna buy a Trichord Dino phono stage??? ;)

* I say almost because I've learned it takes longer than a few minutes or days to decide whether any sonic difference is preferable. Sonic differences are usually quite easy to notice, but discovering a preference takes time.

Did you ever reconnect the Trichord Dino?

What plugs did you get for your DL-103?

I just ordered a Teddy Phono last night and ordered 100 ohm and 470 ohm plugs for my Shelter 901 and DL-103R (just to experiment between the two). I just used the default capacitance.

What plugs did you get for your DL-103?

I just ordered a Teddy Phono last night and ordered 100 ohm and 470 ohm plugs for my Shelter 901 and DL-103R (just to experiment between the two). I just used the default capacitance.

Yep, that's what I've got, 100ohm plugs.

Did you ever reconnect the Trichord Dino?

Right, I just plugged the Dino back in for a spin of my most played LP - Short, Sharp Shocked by Michelle Shocked and it sounded great. It seemed a bit brighter and punchier than the TP and I could tell very quickly I liked it. I then put the TP phono stage back in and it sounded a bit warmer and smoother and I could very quickly I liked it.

It seems I've got two phono stages I like and although I originally intended to sell the Dino, I might just keep it and swap phono stages from time to time for a different flavour. I'd actually been thinking about buying another pair of Kans (late mk1s) so I could change flavour periodically, but swapping phono stages now and again would achieve the same result. :)

I had one of your PS with my Superline. also had an ASR ? phono stage and gave my friend a choice of buying either. I ended up selling both and have bought another Superline but have no PS. I am 75 and in bad health and can't decide wheather to buy a PS or to get your phono stage and sell the superline. I have no one to leave my system to and my family would not know what to do with it. I don't expect your phono stage to be equal to the superline and your PS. How much difference should I expect? I am down grading to a degree as I have to sell my house. Thank you

I had one of your PS with my Superline. also had an ASR ? phono stage and gave my friend a choice of buying either. I ended up selling both and have bought another Superline but have no PS. I am 75 and in bad health and can't decide wheather to buy a PS or to get your phono stage and sell the superline. I have no one to leave my system to and my family would not know what to do with it. I don't expect your phono stage to be equal to the superline and your PS. How much difference should I expect? I am down grading to a degree as I have to sell my house. Thank you

I have a DVXXII Mk II & auditioned a superline & the DV recommended device against the Teddy unit I had already purchased. The Teddy, with plugs appropriate to the cart, beat both of the others by a fair margin. Just my opinion though. Try one out & form your own opinion, its fairly easy with the returns policy Mr Pardo runs.
Good luck to all.

Good morning, I have a Teddy Phonostage and currently run a high output Dynavector so no load plugs are needed. I am thinking of changing to a low output moving coil and so have ordered some plugs suitable for 2.8Mv Output.
Do they just plug into the back of the TP phonostage like DIN connections?
Do the leads from my deck stay where they are or into the plugs?
Many thanks, Ron

Hi
They plug into the back like DIN connections and are then screwed tight. The leads from the deck stay where they are.
Phillip

Plugs have arrived and have a tape on them that says 11.5/100
Could someone please tell me in laymans terms what these numbers represent - I ordered for a DV20xL which the spec sheet says Output Voltage 2.8mV / 0.3mV (at 1KHz, 5cm/Sec)
Wondering if I ordered the correct plugs, I cannot check if they work OK because the cartridge has not arrived yet!
Thanks, have a good weekend
Ron

advertisement

Back