advertisement

Teddy Pardo Phono stage

33RPM

Hifi bug resistant
In another thread Teddy posted this http://www.teddypardo.com/amplifiers/phono-stages/phn1.html link.

Who will be the first to try one and report back?

I myself are seriously considering replacing my EAR834 because it needs a bit of soldering and I'm no good at that. So wondering if this would be a better option.

There are a zillion phonostages out there, and I wouldn't know where to start.

What I know is since I replaced the stock valves (years ago) in the EAR by NOS valves (Philips and GE JAN) I am very pleased with what it does. So replacement won't be that easy.

It doesn't say how much gain. Teddy, can you confirm? I would be very interested to try it if it has enough gain for my cartridge.

Cheers Teddy,replaced all my Naim gear with yours to halt any upgrading itches,now you bring out a phone stage and speaker cable! Thats another grand I didn't need to spend!

When it says that these products (phono, DAC. pre, power amps) don't need servicing or re-capping - do they have no electrolytic capacitors in them at all?

When it says that these products (phono, DAC. pre, power amps) don't need servicing or re-capping - do they have no electrolytic capacitors in them at all?

Of course there are electrolytic capacitors, but the design does not rely on them to do the job. Electrolytic capacitors are used only to do the "coarse" first level filtering, most of the job is done using film capacitors and long life Tantalum capacitors.

I just ordered a phono stage (and DAC) and I swear, when I buy the i80a (or pre/power combo), I'm leaving PFM for good as my bank manager is not happy with me lol - or maybe she is! :)

The gain is set using the optional plugs. When you order these plugs you chose the cartridge output level (input sensitivity) which is used to determine the gain

Ah, I see. I thought the plugs were just for impedance and capacitance. Can you tell me what is the maximum gain, as my current cart is 0.12mV and needs rather a lot of it?

Of course there are electrolytic capacitors, but the design does not rely on them to do the job. Electrolytic capacitors are used only to do the "coarse" first level filtering, most of the job is done using film capacitors and long life Tantalum capacitors.

There are no electrolytic caps used as reservoir in the power amps then?

Whether the amp 'relies' on them to do its job or not, they will still age and eventually need replacing - surely?

Some questions for Teddy :)
- why this choice of selling plugs separately ? I think (my personal opinion) this is uncomfortable for the user, I'd prefer (personal opinion) if I could switch among impedences and gain without having to order and wait for the new plug every time I change cartridge (or try one); and, most of all, the "right" values for a cartridge are not always so easily foreseeable: I generally need to try and try before chosing.
- have you thought about an external PSU, maybe a battery PSU, never connected or something like that ?
thanks, ciao

There are no electrolytic caps used as reservoir in the power amps then?

Whether the amp 'relies' on them to do its job or not, they will still age and eventually need replacing - surely?

This is your opinion it is not fact .

most amplifier manufacturers do not service amplifiers and the contrary opinion is that used correctly they should last 20-30 years at the very least and then decline in spec may not be audible .

Recapping in my opinion is a bloody great con, but unless asked or provoked I keep my opinion to myself .

most amplifier manufacturers do not service amplifiers and the contrary opinion is that used correctly they should last 20-30 years at the very least and then decline in spec may not be audible .

Recapping in my opinion is a bloody great con, but unless asked or provoked I keep my opinion to myself .

I have no idea what goes on inside an A&R A60 but mine is about 35 years old, has never been serviced or re-capped and is still sounding very good to my ears anyway. Not saying that after a re-cap it might sound even better but I'm not hearing anything going off for now.

The main effect of capacitor aging is the increase in ESR, which is the internal resistance of the capacitors. When the ESR increases the effectiveness of the capacitor in smoothing the noisy DC after rectification decreases and the noise at the output of the power supply increases.

The ability of linear regulators to filter this noise is limited, so most designs I know rely on the smoothing capacitors to reduce the ripple (noise). They will therefore benefit from recapping when the capacitors get old. Most designs will also benefit from using high quality (and expensive...) low ESR smoothing capacitors.

Our designs don't rely on the smoothing capacitors, in other words, the ripple is reduced by much larger factors by the SuperTeddyRegs and a decrease of even 10% in the smoothing capacitor performance is irrelevant.

advertisement

Back